A year ago today, did you expect the GOP nominee to be Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:34:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  A year ago today, did you expect the GOP nominee to be Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: A year ago today, did you expect the GOP nominee to be Trump?  (Read 1328 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 04:04:20 AM »

No, I was sure that Marco gets it, actually until early March. I thought that Rubio/Kasich would be the GOP ticket.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »

I predicted that it would be Jeb!!1 narrowly beating Walker for the nomination.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »

No, I foolishly thought Jeb! until after the First Debate, I think. After that I had no idea. It didn't really set in for me that Donald would be the nominee until sometime in December.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 08:17:28 AM »

Not at all. But with the way things are starting to play out with Hillary and the constant Terrorist attacks, I'm starting to think he has a VERY good chance to win the entire thing now.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »

I thought he was gonna be a 2012-style flavor of the month, collapsing shortly after Labor Day.
I didn't believe that Trump would be the nominee until South Carolina/Nevada.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

Not at all.

I did not expect the party of Lincoln to stoop so low as to nominate an absolute danger to the nation. The GOP has shot themselves in the foot, and this is their true downfall. I, for one, will never support him, and will now never vote for the party that does.

I voted for George W. Bush, John McCain, and Gary Johnson in the last three presidential elections. This election, I am fully supporting someone I never thought I would: Hillary Clinton.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »

I thought it would be Walker from 2013 until he dropped out. After that, it was a crapshoot.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »

LOL at the people voted yes. SERIOUSLY??
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »

No, I had no idea who would be the GOP nominee. That being said, it's remarkable how consistent the objective data (polls) were on this.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »

O hell no.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »

Honestly, no. I thought he would fade, just like every other "joke" candidate, or that people wouldn't actually go through with voting for him, despite supporting him in the polls. By the time he won NH/SC, though, it was pretty clear that he really was going to win.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »

No, I can only brag that I didn't think either Walker or Bush were likely to be nominated either.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 11:38:48 PM »

No, not until January of this year, honestly.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »

No, because I believed whatever my Rice Krispies/Nate Silver told me.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 05:19:20 AM »

No, I was sure Mr. Low Energy would do it.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »

No, but I began to seriously vote for Trump in those monthly "Who will be the GOP nominee?" polls around September or so.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »

Sort of, yes:

He is the beer track candidate for the youngsters.  Would these people actually show up to vote though?

It's possible. People think Trump is an idiot or "dumb", when in fact he's relatively smart in running his campaign like a business person would. Trump knows "his folk" or segment of the GOP much better than the establishment types and what they want to hear. With his aggressive campaign talk he hits a nerve with at least 20% of the GOP electorate and this is unlikely to go away in the next months. Trump also understands that elections often works like retail business and that huge attention will also mean a lot of votes ... This further means that if he manages to stay in the news right up to the first primaries, then he could also bring large segments of the young/disinterested people to the polls, much like Obama did in 2007/08.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »

Also, here is the mid-July poll:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216001.0

and here is the early August one:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216812.0
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 08:25:17 AM »

Sort of, yes:

He is the beer track candidate for the youngsters.  Would these people actually show up to vote though?

It's possible. People think Trump is an idiot or "dumb", when in fact he's relatively smart in running his campaign like a business person would. Trump knows "his folk" or segment of the GOP much better than the establishment types and what they want to hear. With his aggressive campaign talk he hits a nerve with at least 20% of the GOP electorate and this is unlikely to go away in the next months. Trump also understands that elections often works like retail business and that huge attention will also mean a lot of votes ... This further means that if he manages to stay in the news right up to the first primaries, then he could also bring large segments of the young/disinterested people to the polls, much like Obama did in 2007/08.

What's weird is how Trump's support by age group completely flipped.  In the summer/early fall of 2015, he was doing better among youngs than olds (among Republican primary voters that is...obviously that is an older group than the general population...but within that group he was skewing young).  But then it started to shift, and by primary season he was getting a disproportionate share of his support from olds.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2016, 11:44:01 AM by wolfsblood07 »

Absolutely not.  I predicted many times that Trump would not come anywhere close to winning the nomination.  
The last time I predicted Trump would lose was the night he came in 2nd in Iowa.  But 2 minutes later I realized that the Iowa results were excellent for Trump.  He beat everyone in the field except for Cruz, and Cruz was hated by the establishment even more than Trump.  It was clear that Cruz, as a religious conservative, was a regional candidate, appealing mostly in Texas and a few southern and Midwestern states.  And Rubio never appealed to anyone, even I found him to be an empty suit although I agreed with him on issues.  I was hoping Rubio would gain traction but of course, he never did.  And then we had people in the media confidently predicting that Trump could not win a majority of delegates which turned out to be utter nonsense.  
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »

I always thought the GOP had more sense than that. Not the first time I've been wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies