BREAKING: Shots fired at BLM protest in downtown Dallas, TX
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:41:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Shots fired at BLM protest in downtown Dallas, TX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: BREAKING: Shots fired at BLM protest in downtown Dallas, TX  (Read 13185 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »

I'm actually really scared about the idea of a race war right now.

I doubt Minnesota would see much action on that front.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2016, 11:19:26 AM »

If you want to ignore a multiracial police force and a multiracial group of protestors interacting peacefully and respectfully and concentrate on two crazy guys that's your choice.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »

If you want to ignore a multiracial police force and a multiracial group of protestors interacting peacefully and respectfully and concentrate on two crazy guys that's your choice.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »

The assholes, white or black, who use hideous violence to promote their hate are, thankfully, a small minority, among those who harbor genuine prejudice.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »

In the words of one Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »

I really hate talking about this issue because it sickens me, but here it goes again, I need to vent:

-Police officers need to crack down on the small minority of brute cops, fire and prosecute them fiercely instead of shield them, create a better police culture, build community trust especially with minorities

-Protestors need to realize it's not all cops, it's a small minority of cops, most are putting their lives on the line every day to serve their community, and just want to get home to their family at the end of the day

-Revenge is never justice. Dealing out death, judging who should live and who should die, is never right. Stop the cycle of violence. That doesn't mean don't act, but there are other ways to fight for change. Positive change is possible, it's happened before, it's happening in other areas now. And deep down, we're all people, with good inside us

-the freaking Media needs to stop inflaming race relations to boost their number of viewers, and realize they're playing with fire and fanning the flames, whether it's conservative media saying all BLM protestors are thugs, or liberal media saying all cops are racist killers

-there is a Race problem in this country, we aren't yet living in Martin Luther King's utopia, and we need to accept that and begin to deal with it

-oh and maybe we should do some common-sense Gun reforms while we're at it. I believe in the 2nd amendment, but we also need to accept we have a Gun Violence problem, and do something about it

-let's make sure everyone has access to quality Mental Healthcare while we're at it too
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »

Killing random people from a selected class to avenge crimes committed by another, unrelated member of that class isn't revenge, it's terrorism. Exactly the same as if some "brave patriots" responded to Orlando by shooting up a Mosque in Michigan.

What if he had only shot 1 cop? Would that be terrorism? I mean I get what you're saying, but I think the word 'terrorism' is being thrown around too much these days. It's a powerful label, and it should not be used willy-nilly.

However, I'm not saying you're wrong, either. All I know is that this was a terrible mass shooting against innocent police officers who work to keep us safe, triggered by the desire for revenge, which was born from generations of systematic abuse of African American communities from the top down. Personally, I would not call it terrorism, but that's just my opinion.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »

I really hate talking about this issue because it sickens me, but here it goes again, I need to vent:

-Police officers need to crack down on the small minority of brute cops, fire and prosecute them fiercely instead of shield them, create a better police culture, build community trust especially with minorities

-Protestors need to realize it's not all cops, it's a small minority of cops, most are putting their lives on the line every day to serve their community, and just want to get home to their family at the end of the day

-Revenge is never justice. Dealing out death, judging who should live and who should die, is never right. Stop the cycle of violence. That doesn't mean don't act, but there are other ways to fight for change. Positive change is possible, it's happened before, it's happening in other areas now. And deep down, we're all people, with good inside us

-the freaking Media needs to stop inflaming race relations to boost their number of viewers, and realize they're playing with fire and fanning the flames, whether it's conservative media saying all BLM protestors are thugs, or liberal media saying all cops are racist killers

-there is a Race problem in this country, we aren't yet living in Martin Luther King's utopia, and we need to accept that and begin to deal with it

-oh and maybe we should do some common-sense Gun reforms while we're at it. I believe in the 2nd amendment, but we also need to accept we have a Gun Violence problem, and do something about it

-let's make sure everyone has access to quality Mental Healthcare while we're at it too

Please stop posting stuff like this.  Most protestors know the difference between a good cop and a bad cop and one of the main reasons we are in this mess is because for decades the media has under reported these shooting.  Posting distortions is not going to help the situation and it is really insulting.  It's sickening that you think there is a sizable number of people in the black community who would even engage in revenge.  White terrorists have been mowing down people and blowing up buildings for decades.  No black person came out and said "white people need to realize blowing up buildings is wrong."  Really your condescension at a time like this is...  I don't know.  I don't even have the words.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »

Please stop posting stuff like this.  Most protestors know the difference between a good cop and a bad cop and one of the main reasons we are in this mess is because for decades the media has under reported these shooting.  Posting distortions is not going to help the situation and it is really insulting.  It's sickening that you think there is a sizable number of people in the black community who would even engage in revenge.  White terrorists have been mowing down people and blowing up buildings for decades.  No black person came out and said "white people need to realize blowing up buildings is wrong."  Really your condescension at a time like this is...  I don't know.  I don't even have the words.

I'm not so sure that's true when we have Black Lives Matter shutting down the Toronto Pride Parade to demand that police officers not be allowed to march. The representatives of both "sides" seem to be painting in broad strokes. And while that may not be true of their followers, it will be if we allow this rhetoric to win the day.

Many police departments are tarnished by a few bad apples. Some police departments are actually becoming extremely transparent and making progressive changes. What BLM did in Toronto was not in the spirit of helping to bring down the divide between "us and them," and these are currently the folks with the soapbox.

It's just as bad on the other side too, as evidenced by many of the tweets that have already been posted in this thread.

So it's not condescending at all to suggest we calm down and stop generalizing. In the end, this is about reaching a point of peace where everyone is treated with the same respect. Yeah, it's true that, as a group, cops aren't marginalized while people of colour are. Doesn't mean demonization of either group is the way forward.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »

Anddddd the Lt Gov of Texas continues to be an idiot. http://beta.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-ambush/2016/07/08/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-calls-dallas-protesters-hypocrites-running-snipers-bullets?hootPostID=b0ef4d876db8f35d9453d939d13b8626
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2016, 03:33:06 PM by Blue3 »

Please stop posting stuff like this.  Most protestors know the difference between a good cop and a bad cop and one of the main reasons we are in this mess is because for decades the media has under reported these shooting.  Posting distortions is not going to help the situation and it is really insulting.  It's sickening that you think there is a sizable number of people in the black community who would even engage in revenge.  White terrorists have been mowing down people and blowing up buildings for decades.  No black person came out and said "white people need to realize blowing up buildings is wrong."  Really your condescension at a time like this is...  I don't know.  I don't even have the words.
No, I'm not going to stop posting stuff like this, I'm going to start posting it more the more resistance I feel there is to the facts. You thinking this is insulting is insulting to me. It's not a distortion. It's the truth.  

I've met many people in real life who do think that joining the police or the military is an act of evil. Who generalize and demonize those who disagree with them.

And I didn't say the black community, did I? I'm talking about protesters. I know white people who have been even more worked up about it than black people.  I know many white people who hate the cops. And yes, there are some black people who think "the police had it coming." Who think we might need a violent revolution.

Of course most of the protesters aren't turning to violence, I never said that. But there are some, enough to be mentioned, that think "they had it coming." Or are debating right now if what happened in Dallas is justified. That is real.

And the media needs to stop treating each police-murder like a breaking news story, with hour-to-hour coverage. It's not at that level of news, and it's not healthy. It's fanning the flames. Similar to what Trump has been doing. And no, I'm not saying "don't report it." It should be reported. But not like how it is reported now, to get higher ratings with more controversy and "breaking news."

And the part about revenge isn't just about this, it's about a lot of things. Our society hears a story about how someone was killed, or assaulted, or whatever, and instead of presuming "innocent until proven guilty" the media gets everyone on the bandwagon and whips them into a furor demanding punishment. Usually before all the facts are in. And even if it is right, revenge is never the answer. Punishment for punishment's sake is evil. It's horrible. And it's an attitude that's been infecting us in many different ways, on many different issues.

How about you knock off your condescending attitude to me, and views you don't like?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »

Gunman killed was the lone shooter.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »

CNN confirms 11 officers shot, 3 dead, one civilian is wounded. Believe there are two snipers, and that a bomb may have been planted.

This is terrorism.

No, it's revenge.

F*k Off, stop being such a horrible person
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

I feel like many people on this forum have never met anyone who isn't white.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »

ya think?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »

Black Lives Matter is partly to blame. They triggered the shooting. They should be ashamed of themselves. Most of these protesters are on welfare, food stamps.
Did you even look at who was protesting? White middle class people, religious leaders, college kids, the elderly, families, etc. Sorry that the reality doesn't fit your narrative.

Some of those people are seen as traitors. I have no problem with protesting. It's the message that it sends.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »

Black Lives Matter is partly to blame. They triggered the shooting. They should be ashamed of themselves. Most of these protesters are on welfare, food stamps.
Did you even look at who was protesting? White middle class people, religious leaders, college kids, the elderly, families, etc. Sorry that the reality doesn't fit your narrative.

Some of those people are seen as traitors.
by… whom? by you?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:27 PM »

The standoff on the Atlanta freeway between the protesters and the police sure seems tense.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »

The standoff on the Atlanta freeway between the protesters and the police sure seems tense.

Sounds like the mayor is down there in the crowd advocating for peace and calm.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2016, 09:15:47 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:42 PM »

Almost entirely our European membership...
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »

You would think the USA has gone completely mad from the outside, but it always surprises me how peaceful and pleasant the place is when you visit.

As for this clown, he obviously had mental issues before any of this ever happened.

Same as the clown in Orlando, we will get 5 days of constant biography of him, and then you wont hear much about him.

The police blew him up with a bomb.

How does that work?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »

Sounds like the mayor is down there in the crowd advocating for peace and calm.
Yeah, that was defused well. As I said in the other thread, I'm pretty sympathetic to the BLM movement but I really find there marches/disruptions particularly involving blocking traffic distasteful. In the wake of the Dallas incident, I was genuinely afraid that some nut would drive his car right through the back of the crowd near the entrance ramp.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2016, 11:41:46 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2016, 01:43:35 PM by True Federalist »

I've been busy to say the least here in ATL Wink

But Here a interesting story that I found during some investigating of the MN shooting .  I am not going to spectate anything further until more facts are present.   BUT...

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/2016/07/05/armed-robbers-hit-lauderdale-convenience-store

I will say the Baton Rouge incident looks 100% justified.  You don't take any chances fighting with a 300lbs man on the ground with a gun... doest matter if its in his pocket or not.   From what I see of the video it appears he attempted to retrieve it.   He's a convicted felon with a gun and actively resisted the police.  Stupid games will always win you stupid prizes and seems his was a 1st class ticket to the land of 6 feet under.   Nobody to blame but himself.  

(Edit - Fixed link - TF)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »

I've been busy to say the least here in ATL Wink

But Here a interesting story that I found during some investigating of the MN shooting .  I am not going to spectate anything further until more facts are present.   BUT...

[urlhttp://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/2016/07/05/armed-robbers-hit-lauderdale-convenience-store][/url]

I will say the Baton Rouge incident looks 100% justified.  You don't take any chances fighting with a 300lbs man on the ground with a gun... doest matter if its in his pocket or not.   From what I see of the video it appears he attempted to retrieve it.   He's a convicted felon with a gun and actively resisted the police.  Stupid games will always win you stupid prizes and seems his was a 1st class ticket to the land of 6 feet under.   Nobody to blame but himself. 

It's one of those rare times MK and I agree.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies