IN-GOV: Which Republican replaces Mike Pence if he is selected as Trump's VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:20:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-GOV: Which Republican replaces Mike Pence if he is selected as Trump's VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IN-GOV: Which Republican replaces Mike Pence if he is selected as Trump's VP?  (Read 3585 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:25:52 AM »

While it's far from guaranteed that Mike Pence will be Trump's VP, it certainly looks like it is a real possibility. Under Indiana state law, Pence is not allowed to run for Vice President and Governor at the same time. So, assuming Pence is offered the VP position and he accepts the offer, who replaces Pence as the Republican nominee for Indiana Governor? My guess is that the state Republican party selects Rep. Todd Rokita as the nominee, and Lt. Gov Eric Holcomb remains as the Lt Gov nominee.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:27:43 AM »

Greg Ballard, unless he's taking on Donnelly in two years.
JMT

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »

Also, another thought to consider: Does this race remain competitive with a new Republican leading the ticket? Does John Gregg still have a chance at winning if he's facing a different Republican? I think the race will remain competitive, but Gregg will have a harder time winning without Pence on the ballot, considering a large part of his campaign has been based on running against Pence specifically.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »

Eric Holcomb, the Lieutenant Governor of Indiana.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »

Eric Holcomb and Greg Ballard are the clear frontrunners, though Lloyd Winnecke and Todd Rokita are dark horse picks and both seem to be interested. My preference is for Winnecke, though in a perfect world, I would love to see Skillman come out of retirement and run. Smiley Winnecke has been a relatively moderate mayor who I think would keep Indiana out of the spotlight on social issues - he is much more of a Daniels than a Pence.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »

I'm kind of shocked by how fast Holcomb has risen despite not really doing anything.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

I'm kind of shocked by how fast Holcomb has risen despite not really doing anything.
It's because of his connections to Mitch Daniels, I thought.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:04 PM »

If Pence is picked as the VP and a decent choice is selected, the Dems should forego this race and pour all of their resources into North Carolina.  That will be the YUGE governor's race and the real test to see if social conservatism can be defeated in the South.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »

It's because of his connections to Mitch Daniels, I thought.
He's also previously served as the chairman of the Indiana Republican Party and as Dan Coats's chief of staff.
If Pence is picked as the VP and a decent choice is selected, the Dems should forego this race and pour all of their resources into North Carolina.  That will be the YUGE governor's race and the real test to see if social conservatism can be defeated in the South.

Yes, that would be very interesting and entertaining. The Democrats are fighting in Indiana primarily as anti-Pence. I know North Carolina isn't as conservative as other Southern states, but it's still considered to have a social conservative lean, and this governor race will be a major test. It's been trending Democratic and the governor's race this year is a major battle in the so-called "culture wars" which will be an important indicator of sure that state stands today.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:32:05 PM »

Nah. Indiana deserves a non-terrible Governor too.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »

If Greg Ballard went against John Gregg he would win by an over 5%-10% margin. I also think that if Mike Pence is indeed the VP nominee and he loses as expected then he could have a comeback against Donnelly in 2018.
He could run against Donnely, but he'd be a little too risky. Nevertheless if that were to happen, he'd probably go for the seat and get the nomination.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »

Honestly the only way Donnelly survives is if another Murdock is nominated.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »

Ballard would be disastrous.  All the IN Dems would need to do is keep running ads showing how crime went up in Indy during his tenure as mayor.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

Ballard would be disastrous.  All the IN Dems would need to do is keep running ads showing how crime went up in Indy during his tenure as mayor.

I thought he was very popular and successful?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »

Holcomb is the most likely but I've heard that Rokita wants it as well. I would very much prefer Holcomb.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »

Holcomb is the most likely but I've heard that Rokita wants it as well. I would very much prefer Holcomb.
I think it would make more sense that the Lt. Governor gets the nomination, and he chooses a new running mate. But that's not how it works. And yes, Todd Rokita is very interested. Then, the question becomes, who replaces him as the nominee for his House seat.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2016, 04:37:32 PM by libertpaulian »

Ballard would be disastrous.  All the IN Dems would need to do is keep running ads showing how crime went up in Indy during his tenure as mayor.

I thought he was very popular and successful?
He was successful and popular in many ways, yes.  However, crime was his major Achilles Heel.  

If law and order becomes one of the Trump campaign's major themes post-convention, the Democrats could turn that around here in Indiana by claiming that Ballard didn't live up to that theme due to the city having record numbers of murders during Ballard's second term.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »

To be quite honest, assuming Pence is picked as the VP, I think the Indiana Democrats should forego this race and rest on their laurels until 2024 (meaning in 2020 they will run a purely token opposition candidate).  Mayor Hogsett will have completed his second term by then, and assuming Indianapolis' crime problem is under control and the city is running excellently (it should be), he would be a top-tier pick for the Democrats and would be a force to be contended with.  Hell, I'd consider voting for Hogsett for Governor if he proves to be an effective mayor.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »

While Democrats always face an uphill battle in Indiana, especially in off-year elections, this is clearly an exaggeration (for now, at least). Donnelly's current approval rating is 48%, double his disapproval numbers and statistically even with Coats (Source). Depending on how the next two years go, he could very well win in a squeaker - though I agree that he faces an uphill battle.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »

I would think Eric Holcomb
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 04:02:18 AM »

Unless Pence is replaced on the ballot with Mitch Daniels, I think Indiana is still no worse than toss-up. Gregg is a strong opponent in his own right, and will have a fundraising head start over the GOP nominee.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:47 AM »

While Democrats always face an uphill battle in Indiana, especially in off-year elections, this is clearly an exaggeration (for now, at least). Donnelly's current approval rating is 48%, double his disapproval numbers and statistically even with Coats (Source). Depending on how the next two years go, he could very well win in a squeaker - though I agree that he faces an uphill battle.
^^^^^^^

Donnelly has some appeal in the South (full of conservadems) and I guess in the north as well, the district he represented. While I think he's going to lose, going to be a tough fight, he won't get blanched.

I agree with this. Donnelly is definitely more likely to win than McCaskill and Manchin.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »

Should go to Stutzman. Why can't Indiana have a Matt Bevin type. His only crime was not bowing to Bohner in the speaker vote (something that merits high praise from me). I respect Rokita but Stutzman needs to get this one.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 08:50:24 PM »

Should go to Stutzman. Why can't Indiana have a Matt Bevin type. His only crime was not bowing to Bohner in the speaker vote (something that merits high praise from me). I respect Rokita but Stutzman needs to get this one.

Stutzman would lose to Gregg.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2016, 05:03:26 AM »

Personally, I hope Brooks comes out on the losing end of this after all the outrage she feigned towards Hillary at the Benghazi hearing (and I'm not a huge Hillary supporter, either).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies