Would you have supported the EDSA Revolution in 1986?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:48:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Would you have supported the EDSA Revolution in 1986?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: supported the EDSA Revolution in 1986?
D - yes

D - no

R - yes

R - no

I/3rd party - yes

I/3rd party - no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Would you have supported the EDSA Revolution in 1986?  (Read 1659 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2005, 06:21:08 PM »

The EDSA Revolution was the coup in the Philippines that removed the Ferdinand Marcos regime. Marcos's repressive and extremely corrupt regime which's kleptocracy largely ruined in the Filipino economy was removed and replaced by a democratic government that was far better for its citizens in all ways.

However since Marcos supported the US and maintained close ties to it, I'm willing to bet Jake and most Republicans would've considered it a bad thing and think Marcos should've remained in power no matter what.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »

Yes I would have and so did the Church btw.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 07:20:26 PM »

Thank you for telling me my position, you are correct for once too. Two gold stars      
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:26:05 PM »

so far, patrick is the only Republican who approves. hmmm....
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 11:32:04 PM »

What kind of organization is doing the overthrowing in the first place? If they're communist or some other type of totalitarian movement, then no (probably the Phillipines would be even worse off). Or is it a pro-democracy movement? If so, then i'd support it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 11:35:45 PM »

I remember the video of Benigno Aquino being murdered.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 11:39:05 PM »

I voted yes.

There's nothing wrong with getting rid of corrupt dictators who don't respect human rights, as long as they are not replaced with something equally bad or worse.  The Phillipines was one of those relatively rare cases in which such a dictatorship was replaced with something better.

I would have preferred Marcos over an aggressive communistic regime or an islamist regime, but since there was a better alternative to Marcos that was not a threat to the region, I approve of Marcos' overthrow.

As I recall, Marcos held an "election" just before he left the country, which he "won."  The fact that he so blatantly stole the election hastened his demise.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 11:40:47 PM »

I don't remember that but I do remember watching Nightline with my grandad when the 86 revoultion occured.  Marcos and his wife were criminals of the first order.  
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 11:44:50 PM »

I don't remember that but I do remember watching Nightline with my grandad when the 86 revoultion occured.  Marcos and his wife were criminals of the first order.  

I'd say they were criminals, but not of the first order.  There were and are far worse people governing countries, many of them darlings of the left.  I would take Ferdinand Marcos, Imelda, and her 4,000 pairs of shoes over Robert Mugabe or Saddam Hussein.  He caused a lot less death and misery than those two.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 12:20:11 PM »

What kind of organization is doing the overthrowing in the first place? If they're communist or some other type of totalitarian movement, then no (probably the Phillipines would be even worse off). Or is it a pro-democracy movement? If so, then i'd support it.

It was a pro-democracy coup led by the widow of a murdered opposition leader (who became president right afterwords), and a group of military officers who turned against him after that murder and Marcos' recent "victory" in an obviously fraudulent election.

I'd say they were criminals, but not of the first order. There were and are far worse people governing countries, many of them darlings of the left. I would take Ferdinand Marcos, Imelda, and her 4,000 pairs of shoes over Robert Mugabe or Saddam Hussein. He caused a lot less death and misery than those two.

Yes, because we all know most leftists worship Mugabe and Saddam and they have so much support. Just think of how frequently leftists here praise one of those two! Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies