Donald Trump Praises Saddam Hussein
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:48:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Donald Trump Praises Saddam Hussein
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Donald Trump Praises Saddam Hussein  (Read 2308 times)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:22 AM »

It's one thing to argue the Iraq War was a mistake because Saddam didn't represent an immediate threat to US security. I would agree with that argument.

It's another thing altogether to suggest that Saddam was somehow a great ally.

Trump seems entirely incapable of nuance. Either someone is evil or they are great, no room in between.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 12:23:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, can we please sent this moron back to elementary/middle school to learn basic grammar and sentence structure? I swear I feel my brain cells dying every time I read something that he has said.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 01:27:30 AM »

It's one thing to argue the Iraq War was a mistake because Saddam didn't represent an immediate threat to US security. I would agree with that argument.

It's another thing altogether to suggest that Saddam was somehow a great ally.

Trump seems entirely incapable of nuance. Either someone is evil or they are great, no room in between.

Trump seems to be the one who is capable of nuance in this case, he didn't say Saddam was some kind of all around great guy.  But perhaps he is a bit too willing to put moral judgement to the side in his estimations of tyrannical rulers.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »

Well, speaking in terms of a stabilizing factor, the Trumpster is not completely wrong. Saddam was a terrible guy, but the mess today and all the human rights abuses are far worse than they were under his rule. Iraq was the worst foreign policy decision ever made by an American president.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 09:18:35 AM »

Another statue that trump will construct in his "Hall of Heroes."
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »

So is the right's new idealogy that it is OK to kill people by the thousands as long as you are dictator that isn't explicitly theocratic?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:50 PM »

So is the right's new idealogy that it is OK to kill people by the thousands as long as you are dictator that isn't explicitly theocratic?

Yes, cause the alternative is far worse.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »

Where do people get the idea that Saddam was stable, held Iraq together etc lets not forget that he....

+ Invaded Iran in 1980 (plunging the region into chaos)
+ Used Chemical Weapons against the Iranians
+ Invaded Kuwait in 1991 (Plunging region into further chaos)
+ Launced Scuds at Israel (See above)
+ Gassed the Kurds

Let's dispel with this fiction that Saddam Hussein kept Iraq together- it's like saying Hitler kept germany together
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 12:38:15 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2016, 12:42:13 PM by TexasGurl »

Saddam is good for Iraq.

When Saddam was around, there was no ISIS.

The sad thing is that he is right on this in some levels.

Saddam was pretty much the only thing holding Iraq together and Crooked Hillary voted to have him killed.

This
Ya and how about that Hitler guy, He did a good job building roads.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »

The following propositions are not mutually exclusive:

1) Saddam Hussein was a horrible tyrant who murdered hundreds of thousands, directly and indirectly, through war, famine, torture, etc.

2) The Iraq war to remove him was a mistake.

also, stemming from point 2, as has been said above, Neither Qaddafi, Mubarak, or Bashir were able to keep their countries from sliding into civil war during the Arab Spring. None of those countries are better off now, regardless of whether or not we invaded or supported a particular side. Sometimes, the US is an outside player, and the best we can do is watch and not get bogged down in a civil war. ISIS happened for many reasons, the US being a very small one of them.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

+ Invaded Iran in 1980 (plunging the region into chaos)
+ Used Chemical Weapons against the Iranians
+ Invaded Kuwait in 1991 (Plunging region into further chaos)
+ Launced Scuds at Israel (See above)
+ Gassed the Kurds

Anyone acting like Saddam was a stabilizing force is just ignorant of history

Huh, what terrorists did Hussein kill?

The answer that that question is none. Acting like he was some great ally in the post-9/11 war on terror is revisionist nonsense.

The fact that the nominee of a major party praises Putin, Saddam, and even North frickin' Korea while criticizing our long time allies in Europe and Latin America at every opportunity should be deeply concerning. If Obama had went around in 08 defending Saddam during his criticisms of the war all the Republicans now supporting Trump would have gone nuts.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »

This thread is horrid.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:43 PM »

Saddam is good for Iraq.

Saddam was pretty much the only thing holding Iraq together and Crooked Hillary voted to have him killed.

This

Wow!

Never thought I'd see the day when the Red Avatars on here would be so supportive of the decision to invade Iraq.

Guess anything to justfy Crooked Hillary then.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »

Wow!

Never thought I'd see the day when the Red Avatars on here would be so supportive of the decision to invade Iraq.

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »

Holy hell, when did almost every Blue Avatar on this forum become such fascist.  sh**t, your defending a man how massacred his citizens just because he wanted too.  All of you are sad excuses for human beings and I hope you burn in hell for supporting that modern day Hitler.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »

Holy hell, when did almost every Blue Avatar on this forum become such fascist.  sh**t, your defending a man how massacred his citizens just because he wanted too.  All of you are sad excuses for human beings and I hope you burn in hell for supporting that modern day Hitler.

Enjoy your ISIS instead, hypocrite.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »

The following propositions are not mutually exclusive:

1) Saddam Hussein was a horrible tyrant who murdered hundreds of thousands, directly and indirectly, through war, famine, torture, etc.

2) The Iraq war to remove him was a mistake.

also, stemming from point 2, as has been said above, Neither Qaddafi, Mubarak, or Bashir were able to keep their countries from sliding into civil war during the Arab Spring. None of those countries are better off now, regardless of whether or not we invaded or supported a particular side. Sometimes, the US is an outside player, and the best we can do is watch and not get bogged down in a civil war. ISIS happened for many reasons, the US being a very small one of them.

/ thread

Best explanation that destroys any attempt by Trump cultists to twist themselves into pretzels to defend the guy on this
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »

The people Saddam killed the most of are the same people doing most of the fighting against ISIS now (Kurds). I'll also note neither Saddam nor ISIS were kind to Shiites.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »

Saddam is good for Iraq.

This

Wow!

Invading Iraq was a terrible decision and Saddam Hussein was a terrible dictator.  Are those two positions not tenable with each other?

Enjoy your ISIS instead, hypocrite.

HOT TAKE
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »

Look

Saddam was a bad guy in his own right.

He gassed Kurds, Oppressed Shias, and swindled Billions of his own people's money to enrich himself and his family. Not only that but his disastrous invasion of Kuwait and attempts to kill an American President are despicable as well.

That said his brutality in a way kept the peace in Iraq at the time and Crooked Hillary's endorsement of Bush's invasion created ramifications up until now.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »

The people Saddam killed the most of are the same people doing most of the fighting against ISIS now (Kurds).,,,,

Good point.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »

Again, the response to my post prove the point, your heartless assholes who defend a modern day Hitler.  Burn in Hell.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »

Look

Saddam was a bad guy in his own right.

He gassed Kurds, Oppressed Shias, and swindled Billions of his own people's money to enrich himself and his family. Not only that but his disastrous invasion of Kuwait and attempts to kill an American President are despicable as well.

That said his brutality in a way kept the peace in Iraq at the time and Crooked Hillary's endorsement of Bush's invasion created ramifications up until now.

Most of the hardcore ISIS fighters who actually know how to fight were the remnants of Saddam's Revolutionary Guard. So in many ways, ISIS and Saddam's terror are actually the same. Without Saddam the Revolutionary Guard goons were free to let their religious freak flag fly

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-saddams-former-soldiers-are-fueling-the-rise-of-isis/
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »

ISIS happened for many reasons, the US being a very small one of them.

It's funny how you have so many Republicans on here are nicking far left talking points ("Bush created ISIS" and so on) to defend Trump. The Iraq War has very little to do with ISIS today. All the trouble started with the chaos in the wake of the Syrian Civil War. If we'd done what most partisan Republicans wanted to do (go all in and bomb the Syrian army in support of the rebels) ISIS would probably be in Damascus today.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »

Look, I'm not saying the Iraq war was a great idea or anything, but imagine how powerful Saddam would have been in 2007/2008 with oil near $250/barrel. As bad as ISIS is, the world is still safer with Saddam dead.

But Saddam did keep the terrorists in his country down; I'll give him credit for that, although his own human rights abuses were likely worse than anything the terrorists would have done.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies