538 Model Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:00:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 49
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 85172 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: September 20, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »

I'm not sure what polls are responsible, but 538's model has Trump still surging.

That's what I'm scratching my head over. I get that he includes all the funky tracking polls, but you'd think more traditional polls would get weighted higher
bilaps
« Reply #426 on: September 20, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »

I'm not sure what polls are responsible, but 538's model has Trump still surging.

In this case it's ipsos national poll and also these FL polls not weighted too much to move the needle there for Clinton.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #427 on: September 20, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »

After he put in those Google polls, especially the DC one, I lost all faith in this model.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #428 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »

That's what I'm scratching my head over. I get that he includes all the funky tracking polls, but you'd think more traditional polls would get weighted higher

Even the tracking polls don't show Trump expanding his lead anymore, though. I wish there was a place on the site where you could see a list of the most recent additions to the model forecast.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 03:38:34 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

Swing states (everything between 10-90% in PP) (Trump odds- PP, PO, NC):

Georgia: 86, 80, 85
Arizona: 80, 76, 83
Iowa: 69, 66, 77
Ohio: 63, 61, 68
North Carolina: 63, 58, 63
Florida: 58, 55, 60
Nevada: 53, 54, 60
New Hampshire: 40, 40, 40
Colorado: 39, 38, 44
Pennsylvania: 31, 32, 31
Wisconsin: 30, 32, 34
Michigan: 30, 33, 35
Maine: 27, 31, 33
Minnesota: 26, 26, 24
Virginia: 25, 27, 25
New Mexico: 21, 21, 23 (Johnson has a 1-2% chance to carry NM)
Rhode Island: 16, 21, 25
Delaware: 15, 19, 19
New Jersey: 12, 15, 15
Oregon: 10, 12, 10

NE-01: 88, 86, 88
NE-02: 71, 69, 72
ME-02: 70, 70, 79
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #430 on: September 20, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »

Even the tracking polls don't show Trump expanding his lead anymore, though. I wish there was a place on the site where you could see a list of the most recent additions to the model forecast.

It's right here: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #431 on: September 20, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »

After he put in those Google polls, especially the DC one, I lost all faith in this model.

The real issue is that there are a ton of really questionable polls out there, and he's including every single last one of them in the name of "more data=better"

Garbage in, garbage out.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #432 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »

The real issue is that there are a ton of really questionable polls out there, and he's including every single last one of them in the name of "more data=better"

Garbage in, garbage out.

As I've said for a while, this is basically a glorified polling map.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #433 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »

In this case it's ipsos national poll and also these FL polls not weighted too much to move the needle there for Clinton.

The Ipsos looks like the main culprit. However, it was conducted mostly in the midst of Deplorables/Pneumoniagate, so perhaps the improvement since then will show up more in the coming days.
bilaps
« Reply #434 on: September 20, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »

You are wrong. He wrote an article regarding that and he weights those tracking state polls from google and ipsos not too much.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #435 on: September 20, 2016, 03:37:52 PM »

You are wrong. He wrote an article regarding that and he weights those tracking state polls from google and ipsos not too much.

Yep, but there are so much more of these trash polls being churned out that, even if he weighs them less, they eventually overwhelm the good pollsters, like Monmouth.
bilaps
« Reply #436 on: September 20, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »

The Ipsos looks like the main culprit. However, it was conducted mostly in the midst of Deplorables/Pneumoniagate, so perhaps the improvement since then will show up more in the coming days.

Nope, it's 15-19 september. So starts thursday. It's during birther issue if anything
Mallow
United States

« Reply #437 on: September 20, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »

It's right here: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/

Thank you. Wish I had seen this earlier.
bilaps
« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »

Yep, but there are so much more of these trash polls being churned out that, even if he weighs them less, they eventually overwhelm the good pollsters, like Monmouth.

I don't think that is the case. Would you give me an example? And Monmouth poll from FL was weighted less because of sample size.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #439 on: September 20, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

It might be new; I just saw it the other day for the first time.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #440 on: September 20, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »

Nope, it's 15-19 september. So starts thursday. It's during birther issue if anything

For some reason I thought deplorables/pneumonia was more recent... obviously it's not, as Sept. 11 was the start of the pneumonia issue. I stand corrected.
bilaps
« Reply #441 on: September 20, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »

It might be new; I just saw it the other day for the first time.

Don't know when it was introduced but it's there for at least a month.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #442 on: September 20, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »

Nate Cohen's Upshot model on the New York Times has shown Clinton recovering the past couple days. Currently gives her a 75%, up from the low 70's. I find there differences fascinating, especially right now.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #443 on: September 20, 2016, 03:46:45 PM »

Nate Cohen's Upshot model on the New York Times has shown Clinton recovering the past couple days. Currently gives her a 75%, up from the low 70's. I find there differences fascinating, especially right now.

I think RCP is a good happy medium too since even though it includes some sketchy polls it doesn't do a ton of weighting or adjusting
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #444 on: September 20, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »

This has been puzzling me too, since the recent Trump surge seems to have peaked, but his chances keep getting better on 538.  Meanwhile, the Upshot model (which is generally slower to move) has tracked the poll movement pretty closely.  During the surge, Clinton's win probability in Upshot dropped from near 80% to 73%, but it's recovered in the past couple of days to 75%.

I'm starting to wonder if Nate Silver has tried to do too much in his models, and they're becoming less useful as a result.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #445 on: September 20, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »

To me the thing that makes the least amount of sense is there have been 3 Florida polls released since yesterday with Clinton up (+1,+5,+5), yet Trump's odds in Florida keep spiking?
bilaps
« Reply #446 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »

I don't know how 538 adjustes polls? Anyone with an insight. Didn't read topic from the start, maybe I should try that before asking but if someone wants to help right away...
elcorazon

« Reply #447 on: September 20, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »

This has been puzzling me too, since the recent Trump surge seems to have peaked, but his chances keep getting better on 538.  Meanwhile, the Upshot model (which is generally slower to move) has tracked the poll movement pretty closely.  During the surge, Clinton's win probability in Upshot dropped from near 80% to 73%, but it's recovered in the past couple of days to 75%.

I'm starting to wonder if Nate Silver has tried to do too much in his models, and they're becoming less useful as a result.
maybe some of the better Clinton polls are fading in weighting as they get older, and even though some polls are showing a rebound by Clinton, the overall polling is still showing a very close race which keeps pushing the ultimate results closer to 50/50, especially as the more Clinton favoring polls get further back in time.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #448 on: September 20, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »

To me the thing that makes the least amount of sense is there have been 3 Florida polls released since yesterday with Clinton up (+1,+5,+5), yet Trump's odds in Florida keep spiking?

Polls only should have Clinton ahead in FL and its jacked up if they don't...which would improve her win % substantially
bilaps
« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »

Well, it has sense in this way. One of those polls which is weighted highest is adjusted to Trump +1, one was adjusted to Clinton +1 or +2 i forgot and Monmouth was adjusted slightly to Clinton +4 but is weighted less cause of samle size. So, when you look top 6 weighted polls, you have Trump up in 3, one tie and Clinton up in 2.

Again I don't know why he adjusted for example Siena poll from Clinton up 1 to Trump up 1 but with those adjustments and weighing it's clear why Trump has better chances.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies