Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:22:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.  (Read 13548 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »

There are some sick people. 50 people are dead and all some people are worried about is protecting guns. It's more difficult to obtain permits to open a business than it is to get a gun, so it's clear that we have a real problem that needs to be addressed.

And it doesn't matter who the shooter pledged allegiance to. It would be just as bad if he was a viewer of the 700 Club.

Yeah because of course liberals want to take away my rights,but allow radicalized Muslims intent on killing americans into the country no questions asked.

Disarm me and allow the bad guys to come on in.

Last time I checked most of the mass shooters have not fit the profile of a Muslim and more fit the profile of someone much more likely to never be suspected of even running a red light.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »

Shootings like this really, really hit home when it's your social community that is the victim of the attack.

I here you.  Way worse than corralling a six year old into a corner with their friends at school and shooting them in the face.

Would you shut up with your moron logic for once? I'd make a very serious personal attack here, but I don't want to get banned. People are dead. Twice as many as the situation you cite.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2016, 01:45:27 PM »

There are some sick people. 50 people are dead and all some people are worried about is protecting guns. It's more difficult to obtain permits to open a business than it is to get a gun, so it's clear that we have a real problem that needs to be addressed.

And it doesn't matter who the shooter pledged allegiance to. It would be just as bad if he was a viewer of the 700 Club.

Yeah because of course liberals want to take away my rights,but allow radicalized Muslims intent on killing americans into the country no questions asked.

He was born in New York and lived in Florida most of his adult life...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #178 on: June 12, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »

There are some sick people. 50 people are dead and all some people are worried about is protecting restricting guns.

We should instead be focusing on the criminal and the victims.
There are a lot people who are not concerned about the victims. The parents of Sandy Hook children are considered to be some sort of villains because they call for gun control.

I support gun control because there are some people who should NEVER have a gun.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2016, 01:46:41 PM »

Why did I expect that Atlas would react normally to this issue?

FWIW, it's not as bad here as it is on social media IMHO.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »

Sleeper cells.  Honestly, i feel like these attacks occur every few months on certain events.   I think they are testing our reactions and seeing our weaknesses.      Imagine if they got a small nuclear weapon  Sad    

It'd much more likely be a radiological dispersal weapon instead of a some sort of fission bomb. Not AS horrendous, but theoretically possible.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »

There are some sick people. 50 people are dead and all some people are worried about is protecting restricting guns.

There are a lot people who are not concerned about the victims. The parents of Sandy Hook children are considered to be some sort of villains because they call for gun control.

I support gun control because there are some people who should NEVER have a gun.

Yes, i support gun control too.

Every American should be able to control a gun.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »

You're assuming a level of organisational capacity far greater than that which any violent Islamist organisation could plausibly have. Sleeper cells? Moles? This is not the Cold War, they are not the KGB.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »

I doubt that those parents were politicizing the shooting before the victims had even been buried.  There's legitimate political debate and there's parasitically feeding on the emotions of victims to achieve your own personal political ends.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »

Public service announcement: If you currently do not have Mike Keller on ignore, now is always a good time to change that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

Which you and your kind have absolutely been doing as well. If you want to be an arsehole, fine. I guess that's your right. Try not to be a hypocrite as well.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »

Shootings like this really, really hit home when it's your social community that is the victim of the attack.

I here you.  Way worse than corralling a six year old into a corner with their friends at school and shooting them in the face.

Would you shut up with your moron logic for once? I'd make a very serious personal attack here, but I don't want to get banned. People are dead. Twice as many as the situation you cite.

Take your own advice.

Free forum.  Doesn't matter to me whether someone is black, white, gay, Christian, Muslim, child, adult.  These incidents are horrific and I don't agree with what the previous poster said.  Difference from you is I don't need to use words like "moron" to express myself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »

You're assuming a level of organisational capacity far greater than that which any violent Islamist organisation could plausibly have. Sleeper cells? Moles? This is not the Cold War, they are not the KGB.
Nothing not that complex, nor even as complex as the 9/11 cells. Is it impossible to believe that ISIS is in communication with radicalized terrorists who are completely unaware of the others? That way, if one were to go down, they don't all go down? It wouldn't surprise me.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »

Which you and your kind have absolutely been doing as well. If you want to be an arsehole, fine. I guess that's your right. Try not to be a hypocrite as well.

Huh

Me? I don't gloat about muh good guys with guns when this stuff happens to try and manipulate people into supporting more gun carry rights.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2016, 02:00:23 PM »

"No questions asked?" Where do you come up with this dopey garbage?

Just because we don't support banning all people of a certain religion from entering the country doesn't mean we're not interested in rigorous screening processes or keeping the country safe.

Banning all Muslims is not a proportional response to the problem at hand, and would actually create a far more dangerous situation.

Secondly, no one wants to take away your f-cking guns, but cling to them all you want. An assault weapons ban is not ridiculous. Keeping guns from people with a history of mental health challenges should not be controversial. The terrorist watch list thing is a little more tricky, because there isn't any proof that these folks are guilty of anything, but, I mean, if you're willing to ban a whole religion from entering the country without proof of wrong-doing, keeping guns away from suspected terrorists is a drop in the bucket.

So kindly GTFO.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2016, 02:03:32 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Take your own advice.

Free forum.  Doesn't matter to me whether someone is black, white, gay, Christian, Muslim, child, adult.  These incidents are horrific and I don't agree with what the previous poster said.  Difference from you is I don't need to use words like "moron" to express myself.

Then let me say it in a way that maybe even you can understand - hate crimes that target one's own kind rather than random mass killings will strike a chord within that community. They are being persecuted. The motive means someone could be after them next through no fault other than inherent qualities about them. They have to be on guard. All are horrific, but one is much more likely to attack you again.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »

You don't get to claim moral outrage, sorry, buddy. Both sides of the aisle act like morons when stuff like this happens.

What is a fact is that this was terrorism inspired by islamic extremism, and that America's institutions are failing to stop attacks such as these.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »

Schadenfreude, no, Sprouts is right...you are a moron.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »

What an utter tragedy.  And perhaps most tragic of all is how left and right ignore obvious facts to protect their ideology.

He was a bigoted religious fundie who shot 50 gays because he hates them for who they are.  This doesn't terrorize straight, homophobic Republicans....nor was his gun a threat to straight left wingers.

This is first and foremost about the people killed or injured, about the community they are a part of, about unaddressed and tolerated homophobia, and only then...about guns or terrorism.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »

Take your own advice.

Well that's because wifikitten isn't a moron.

Picking on someone for feeling like a tragedy personally hits a little closer to home because the attacker targetted a group that they're a part of is just mean-spirited.

I will be going to pride events in a few weeks, probably a night club. My parents don't know I'm gay because I'm terrified to tell them about it. My boyfriend is still sometimes hesitant to even hold hands in public because there are assholes out there who harass us when we do.

Gay clubs are a place we can go to find a bit of refuge and not worry. We can be ourselves. Except now I'm even scared to go there, despite the fact that the odds are significantly less likely that a similar situation would unfold in Vancouver... thanks in no small part to my country's gun laws.

The point is, I am a part of this community that was targeted, and it is affecting me more than an attack against another community might. Too f-cking bad if that offends your sensibilities.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »

"No questions asked?" Where do you come up with this dopey garbage?

Just because we don't support banning all people of a certain religion from entering the country doesn't mean we're not interested in rigorous screening processes or keeping the country safe.

Banning all Muslims is not a proportional response to the problem at hand, and would actually create a far more dangerous situation.

Secondly, no one wants to take away your f-cking guns, but cling to them all you want. An assault weapons ban is not ridiculous. Keeping guns from people with a history of mental health challenges should not be controversial. The terrorist watch list thing is a little more tricky, because there isn't any proof that these folks are guilty of anything, but, I mean, if you're willing to ban a whole religion from entering the country without proof of wrong-doing, keeping guns away from suspected terrorists is a drop in the bucket.

So kindly GTFO.

People with certified mental health challenges arent able to freely buy firearms.  The issue is that the left decided to water down our mental health system so much that actually bring certified mentally ill is damn near impossible.  

What's an assault weapon?    Automatic firearms have been banned since the 1930s and Reagan followed up on it in 1986.

Liberals have no freaking clue.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »

We need to tackle the gun issue AND the issue of Islam. It's not an either, or situation. 
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »

You don't get to claim moral outrage, sorry, buddy. Both sides of the aisle act like morons when stuff like this happens.

What is a fact is that this was terrorism inspired by islamic extremism, and that America's institutions are failing to stop attacks such as these.

Has ISIS or the like claimed responsibility for this attack yet?  I might be behind but I don't want to rummage through all the clutter in this thread.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »

Has ISIS or the like claimed responsibility for this attack yet?  I might be behind but I don't want to rummage through all the clutter in this thread.

Yes
Foucaulf
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »

I don't like posting on Atlas anymore but just going to debunk the above.

To clarify, a news agency most closely affiliated to Islamic State put out a news bulletin about the Orlando shooter and mentioned his potential IS connection. Some other IS news agencies reported the same. No formal claim of responsibility has been made.

See other online talk about this here and here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies