Would you consider voting for a third party this election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:36:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would you consider voting for a third party this election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Would you vote for a third party this election?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 122

Author Topic: Would you consider voting for a third party this election?  (Read 2673 times)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2016, 02:13:53 AM »

Ideology isn't a continuum.

I like Sanders for his stances on trade, inequality, and corporate influence in government.

Webb is pretty similar, and seemed to have a fairly coherent geopolitical vision as stated in the debates. Certainly seems a lot less likely to get us involved in a strategically useless war than Clinton.

Webb, when he did speak in the primaries, did point out that the Democratic party needs to pay a lot more attention to working class people in areas of the country a lot of Democrats never visit. I like that.

While I think the government should be very restrained in how it constrains individuals, by sensibility I'm somewhat of a social centrist.

Webb also left the party because he saw the degree of power that conceited urban liberals had in the party *cough * Clinton *cough *. Pretty sympathetic to that view.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2016, 02:23:06 AM »

I like Sanders for his stances on trade, inequality, and corporate influence in government.

Webb is pretty similar, and seemed to have a fairly coherent geopolitical vision as stated in the debates. Certainly seems a lot less likely to get us involved in a strategically useless war than Clinton.

Webb, when he did speak in the primaries, did point out that the Democratic party needs to pay a lot more attention to working class people in areas of the country a lot of Democrats never visit. I like that.

While I think the government should be very restrained in how it constrains individuals, by sensibility I'm somewhat of a social centrist.

Webb also left the party because he saw the degree of power that conceited urban liberals had in the party *cough * Clinton *cough *. Pretty sympathetic to that view.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. I prefer conceited urban liberals over Neo-Confederates. Tongue

I mean, when even Nikki Haley and a far right Republican legislature are speaking more sanely than you are about a hate symbol, something's definitely wrong.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2016, 02:25:56 AM »

Johnson wasn't my ideal LP candidate but even my not-ideal LP candidate is far closer to what I want over Hillary or Trump.  Also, pro-life/pro-choice isn't my battle and that's on the bottom of my totem pole of "things that matter to me when I vote".
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2016, 02:29:35 AM »

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. I prefer conceited urban liberals over Neo-Confederates. Tongue

I mean, when even Nikki Haley and a far right Republican legislature are speaking more sanely than you are about a hate symbol, something's definitely wrong.

And I'd prefer behind the times on social issues to a dangerous foreign policy, conceited approach to cultural politics, and a vicious disregard for the working families and the indigent of America.

But I guess we can agree to disagree, you're correct.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2016, 02:37:30 AM »

If I can build a bridge between you and West Virginian rednecks, though I think flying one is pretty moronic and not very thoughtful, I don't think the Confederate flag is a straight-up hate symbol.

The redneck students that I teach mostly aren't racist and actually occasionally have some black friends, they just have this at least partially misguided idea that 1) the South is awesome and they are so lucky to be there and 2) thoughtlessly don't connect the flag with slavery or a moronic, misguided rebellion for the purpose of oppressing black people and instead see it as like a regional flag.

It's like how a swastika is a religious symbol to someone on the indian subcontinent and a scary nazi thing to europeans, israelis, and americans.  In your future career as chair of the DNC, you need to understand this so that you can take back the state houses and congressional seats from the Koch Bros.

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2016, 02:40:49 AM »

If I can build a bridge between you and West Virginian rednecks, though I think flying one is pretty moronic and not very thoughtful, I don't think the Confederate flag is a straight-up hate symbol.

The redneck students that I teach mostly aren't racist and actually occasionally have some black friends, they just have this at least partially misguided idea that 1) the South is awesome and they are so lucky to be there and 2) thoughtlessly don't connect the flag with slavery or a moronic, misguided rebellion for the purpose of oppressing black people and instead see it as like a regional flag.

It's like how a swastika is a religious symbol to someone on the indian subcontinent and a scary nazi thing to europeans, israelis, and americans.  In your future career as chair of the DNC, you need to understand this so that you can take back the state houses and congressional seats from the Koch Bros.

You mean actually approach human beings like human beings, and attempt to understand where people in different situations in life come from?

Perish the thought. That's not how liberals these days think!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2016, 02:58:39 AM »

It's like how a swastika is a religious symbol to someone on the indian subcontinent and a scary nazi thing to europeans, israelis, and americans.  In your future career as chair of the DNC, you need to understand this so that you can take back the state houses and congressional seats from the Koch Bros.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Not everyone that flies the Confederate flag is a racist bigot obviously, but the fact is among many it is a hate symbol, and it is clearly offensive to a minority group for very good reasons. The problem is that Jim Webb should (and probably does) know better.  Sometimes you need leaders to lead, not follow. Nikki Haley did that well, even if I disagree with her on nearly every issue. Webb utterly failed that test, just like the Republicans who now kowtow to Trump and refuse to disavow him and his comments out of fear of electoral retribution.

And it should've been even easier for Webb to take a position on this issue, considering he's in the Democratic Party, which doesn't exactly have a significant Neoconfederate voting bloc outside of a couple states, unlike the other side in South Carolina of all places!

And thanks, I'm glad I can count on your support for my future run for DNC chair. Wink
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2016, 03:08:23 AM »

Oh, I also wanted to say that, while I don't think the Confederate REBEL flag should be flown over public buildings in the United States, I thought Nikki Haley's decision was really cynical and just an attempt to paper over the actual problems.

It's like, "oh, confederate flag is gone, ok, racism is over guys!  No more Dylan Roofs any more!"
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »

It's like how a swastika is a religious symbol to someone on the indian subcontinent and a scary nazi thing to europeans, israelis, and americans.  In your future career as chair of the DNC, you need to understand this so that you can take back the state houses and congressional seats from the Koch Bros.

You mean actually approach human beings like human beings, and attempt to understand where people in different situations in life come from?

I'm just curious: is it lonely being in the "Jim Webb wing of the Democratic Party" up there in New Hampshire? I can't imagine many of you guys up there have Dixiecrat sympathies. Tongue

I can at least understand Santander...
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2016, 03:19:17 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2016, 03:23:49 AM by Chickenhawk »

I'm just curious: is it lonely being in the "Jim Webb wing of the Democratic Party" up there in New Hampshire? I can't imagine many of you guys up there have Dixiecrat sympathies. Tongue

Real cute. I'm Sanders wing, thanks, and I fit in quite well. Volunteered for the campaign, very much enjoyed handing defeat to Clinton by a quite impressive margin.

When you're calling Webb a dixiecrat, btw, you're neglecting the pretty awful legacy of a lot of people a lot worse than him. Byrd pre reformation he isn't. Strom Thurmond he isn't.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »

By all means.  It'll be my third time.

I thought you voted for Obama.

In 2008 I voted for Obama, although in 2012 I did not.  Twice before I voted for candidates other than the Republican or Democrat.  2000 was particularly depressing, and if you had asked me then whether the two major parties could come up with worse choices I'd have said "no way."  But I'd have been wrong.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »

No. Hillary all the way.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »

Would I consider voting for a theoretical third party? Of course.

Would I consider voting Libertarian, Green, or Constitution? For all of 3 seconds before bursting into laughter.

So no, probably not this year.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »

Real cute. I'm Sanders wing, thanks, and I fit in quite well. Volunteered for the campaign, very much enjoyed handing defeat to Clinton by a quite impressive margin.

When you're calling Webb a dixiecrat, btw, you're neglecting the pretty awful legacy of a lot of people a lot worse than him. Byrd pre reformation he isn't. Strom Thurmond he isn't.

Fair enough, but as I said before, if you identify as "Sanders wing" I don't see why you wouldn't write him in.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »

I also want to add that I don't think you need to believe that Stein or Johnson are very competent managers to logically cast a vote for them in a non-battleground state - you merely need to think that a majority or significant minority of their platform needs to be added to the national discussion/some of their unique ideas would make America better if heard.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies