Do you think TRUMP will make Hispanics a perma-Dem group like the AA's?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you think TRUMP will make Hispanics a perma-Dem group like the AA's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In terms of their margin of votes
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you think TRUMP will make Hispanics a perma-Dem group like the AA's?  (Read 642 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »

With his CONSTANT attacks on Hispanics, do you believe TRUMP will alienate Hispanic voters so badly from the GOP, that they become an almost unanimously Democratic group?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »

Hispanics will be considered whites in 50 years
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »

With his CONSTANT attacks on Hispanics, do you believe TRUMP will alienate Hispanic voters so badly from the GOP
I don't KNOW for SURE yet, but IF Trump becomes PRESIDENT ands acts AMNESTY a bit, I doubt IT will do anything MAJOR to the GOP.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »

Not if the Democratic Party has their way with it.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »

Not like blacks, but near permaDem
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »

While this is a possibility, I'm still not sure why people are so certain of it.

Anyway, the polls don't currently show Trump losing Hispanics by those kinds of margins, but you never know.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »

I'm not sure - I think he will have an effect, though. What I have been thinking recently is that Trump's legacy could be that the new baseline vote for a Democratic candidate would be 70%+, rather than the 60% - 62% they usually get right off the bat. Same for Congressional races. This isn't the same as Goldwater, whose campaign turned African Americans into a 85% - 90% voting bloc. It's still significant, though.

I think an even better lasting effect could be rising Hispanic turnout. Democrats will focus more and more on Hispanic turnout and at some point it might begin to equalize with other demographics. It'll take awhile, though, considering just how many Hispanic eligible voters are Millennials, who just happen to have some of the worst turnout rates in America.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »

Why? Why would most Latinos (aside from higher-status ones who are primarily descended from European immigrants and are already pretty assimilated anyway) even want to be considered white? Most Latinos are very proud of their heritage and culture. Doesn't seem that it would make sense for them to jettison it in the name of "assimilation."
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »

Why? Why would most Latinos (aside from higher-status ones who are primarily descended from European immigrants and are already pretty assimilated anyway) even want to be considered white? Most Latinos are very proud of their heritage and culture. Doesn't seem that it would make sense for them to jettison it in the name of "assimilation."

Not agreeing with the post you quoted.  At all.  However, wouldn't people have said the same thing about Italians and Irish?  The GOP has always been the party of more "established," privileged, fortunate, etc. groups, and there was a day when Irish and Italian Americans wouldn't think of voting Republican.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »

Not by the same overwhelming margin. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 02:31:03 PM »

I see Hispanics drifting to the Democrats the next 15-20 years with Whites drifting to the Republicans. At some point, someone within the Republican party stands up and brings a lot of them back into the Republican fold. Hispanics continue to vote Democrat even beyond then but I think their voting habits will mirror those of the Irish more than Blacks.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »

Not agreeing with the post you quoted.  At all.  However, wouldn't people have said the same thing about Italians and Irish?  The GOP has always been the party of more "established," privileged, fortunate, etc. groups, and there was a day when Irish and Italian Americans wouldn't think of voting Republican.

^^^
Exactly. I don't want to be considered a white either, but stupid bureaucrats probably from Minnesota, am I right? Assimilation was a huge mistake.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »

Regardless of politics, I would hope for the sake of the country that in 50 years Hispanics are not a separate race in America.  Black-White relations are already tense enough, we don't need 3 way identity politics to dominate the political discourse.  Assimilation is better for the country.  (And no I don't mean giving up all of their cultural practices and white-washing)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »

Not unless he actually manages to remake the party in his image/is the nominee multiple times. Doesn't seem likely.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies