Sen. Sasse May Support Johnson UPDATE: Romney also might support Johnson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sen. Sasse May Support Johnson UPDATE: Romney also might support Johnson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Sen. Sasse May Support Johnson UPDATE: Romney also might support Johnson  (Read 5564 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:39 AM »

What a hypocrite, LMAO. Guess you can write him off for the 2020 election. It seems he doesn't know the meaning of the term "never".

I'm not following.  In what way does he not know the meaning of "never"?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 12:21:33 AM »

No but seriously though, why has the very junior senator from Nebraska been getting so much attention?

He's the only incumbent senator to say he won't vote for TRUMP...

Oh really?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279017-graham-i-wont-vote-for-trump
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 12:26:35 AM »

What a hypocrite, LMAO. Guess you can write him off for the 2020 election. It seems he doesn't know the meaning of the term "never".

NeverTrump means NeverJohnson too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 12:29:29 AM »

Huh?  What sense does that make?  Did Sasse ever say that he was ruling out a vote for Johnson?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »

Huh?  What sense does that make?  Did Sasse ever say that he was ruling out a vote for Johnson?

I cant explain it any better than I already have.
Fargobison

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 12:45:38 AM »

#NeverTrump only has one rule and that rule is #NeverTrump.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 12:47:03 AM »

Not unless you're 100% committed to the idea that Trump NEVER becomes President. That leaves Hillary as your only option.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 12:55:10 AM »

Not unless you're 100% committed to the idea that Trump NEVER becomes President. That leaves Hillary as your only option.

No...it just doubles the potency of your vote (changes the margin by 2 if you vote for Hillary; technically by 1 if you vote for Johnson, but it's still a 2-vote margin shift...just between Trump and a different candidate). 
Fargobison

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 01:05:23 AM »

#NeverTrump simply means you are never going to vote for him. I find both Trump and HRC equally bad, so I will have nothing to do with electing either of them. That is the stance of most people who are #NeverTrump.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »

I understand protest voting; I'd have voted for Gary Johnson in 2012 against Romney. I would have voted for Ron Paul if he were the nominee. Gary Johnson, being the closest candidate to Ron Paul, would have been a sensible choice. So would have been Virgil Goode to a lesser extent.

Sasse, a supporter of war hawk/"Reagan Conservative" Marco Rubio has nothing in common with Gary Johnson or the Libertarian Party. In fact, many Sasse fanboys like Erik Erikson endorsed his socially conservative rival Austen Peterson. They failed to hijack the LP (ironically forming an unholy alliance with the party radicals) and are tentatively behind Johnson not out of any remote ideological similarities (ironic because they complain Trump has no core ideology) but rather out of a simple desire to spoil the election. If they wanted a third party alternative, then David French should have run.

Had Marco Rubio been the nominee, Sasse would be bitching up a storm. They want their guy over the will of the rest of the party. People like me who are at least intellectually honest in their voting who backed Johnson in '12? We were RINOs then. Back the party this year? We're stupid. Well, this stupid RINO has done more for this party in the last week then Vosem and company have ever done. I'd be willing to venture the same about the nakedly ambitious Ben Sasse.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 01:21:22 AM »

Sasse votes in highly noncompetitive Nebraska, so his vote isn't going to sway the election one way or the other anyway.  He never said he was supporting Clinton, and it's absurd to suggest that this is some kind of betrayal.  None of the #NeverTrump Republican politicians have said that they'll vote for Clinton.  Romney, Sasse, Sanford, Ridge, Baker, Watts, Gorton, Coleman, LaHood etc.  None of them have endorsed Clinton.  They've only said that they won't vote for Trump.  Christine Todd Whitman says there's a decent chance that she'll vote for Clinton, but she hasn't made any kind of firm decision yet, AFAIK.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 01:28:06 AM »

lol
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 01:29:23 AM »

Sasse votes in highly noncompetitive Nebraska, so his vote isn't going to sway the election one way or the other anyway.  He never said he was supporting Clinton, and it's absurd to suggest that this is some kind of betrayal.  None of the #NeverTrump Republican politicians have said that they'll vote for Clinton.  Romney, Sasse, Sanford, Ridge, Baker, Watts, Gorton, Coleman, LaHood etc.  None of them have endorsed Clinton.  They've only said that they won't vote for Trump.  Christine Todd Whitman says there's a decent chance that she'll vote for Clinton, but she hasn't made any kind of firm decision yet, AFAIK.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=238083.0
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 01:29:51 AM »

lol

Lol at yourself, froggy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 01:36:54 AM »

I understand protest voting; I'd have voted for Gary Johnson in 2012 against Romney. I would have voted for Ron Paul if he were the nominee. Gary Johnson, being the closest candidate to Ron Paul, would have been a sensible choice. So would have been Virgil Goode to a lesser extent.

Sasse, a supporter of war hawk/"Reagan Conservative" Marco Rubio has nothing in common with Gary Johnson or the Libertarian Party. In fact, many Sasse fanboys like Erik Erikson endorsed his socially conservative rival Austen Peterson. They failed to hijack the LP (ironically forming an unholy alliance with the party radicals) and are tentatively behind Johnson not out of any remote ideological similarities (ironic because they complain Trump has no core ideology) but rather out of a simple desire to spoil the election. If they wanted a third party alternative, then David French should have run.

Had Marco Rubio been the nominee, Sasse would be bitching up a storm. They want their guy over the will of the rest of the party. People like me who are at least intellectually honest in their voting who backed Johnson in '12? We were RINOs then. Back the party this year? We're stupid. Well, this stupid RINO has done more for this party in the last week then Vosem and company have ever done. I'd be willing to venture the same about the nakedly ambitious Ben Sasse.

Sanchez, did Sasse ever endorse Rubio? I don't recall if he did, I know he ran as a Ted Cruz type of conservative for Senate and that's what I remember him as. Maybe he's a hawk, but I don't think I would put him in the same camp as the neoconservatives or establishmentarians.

He almost certainly will not actually vote for Johnson. It looks like he's looking for attention and wants to build up some kind of reputation as a conservative maverick and then run for president down the line.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 05:28:16 AM »

In case you're wondering what district Sasse lives in, he lives in NE-1, which is about as competitive as the state as a whole (i.e. not very). If NE-1 is competitive, Clinton is winning in a landslide.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »

Except that Sasse understands the danger a Trump presidency will bring to this country, and is hedging his bets that he won't get elected, and then everybody will realize how stupid is. Ergo, the guy who didn't support the stupid guy (Sasse) gets to be the nominee in 2020 or whatever. Who cares if he's being hypocritical - he's allowed to not like a candidate, and voting for GJ is a way to vote against said candidate.
mds32
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2016, 06:18:42 AM »

Sassehole would be bitching up a storm if Johnson was polling at 1% against Rubio. He's a hypocrite.

Or maybe because Rubio is an actual Republican.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »

I'm not actually sure how Sasse is being hypocritical.  He would have supported the nominee if it had been Rubio, but he won't because it's Trump is hypocritical?

Umm...if you think the nominee is disqualified from the office on character grounds, then jumping ship for a 3rd party candidate with whom you nonetheless disagree on many issues seems pretty justified...unless I'm missing the argument?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »

Sasse is a horrible human being with a horrible ideology but he is not a hypocrite. His is very consistent with being horrible.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »

lol ben sasse

so this is his strategy for 2020. fascinating.
Man is such a tool.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:19 AM »

Having just watched Governor Johnson's interview on the June 5th edition of Meet the Press, I hope he is included in the presidential debates and ends up doing well in November.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »

Having just watched Governor Johnson's interview on the June 5th edition of Meet the Press, I hope he is included in the presidential debates and ends up doing well in November.

Amazing, that made Australian TV, and I could finally see who this guy was.

He seems legit.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »

Looks like his reelection bid will be entirely fueled by Atlas members if he does this
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 09:11:28 AM »

Looks like his reelection bid will be entirely fueled by Atlas members if he does this

He might pull a Rubio and run for president in 2020 rather than run for reelection.  (He's already done one event in Iowa.)  Of course, Atlasians might then be his base for his presidential run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies