Secret Ballot Procedure Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:22:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Secret Ballot Procedure Bill  (Read 11861 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2005, 10:41:55 PM »

I'm not a senator, so i dont know if im supposed to post in here, or if my opion matters, but i would like to say that i love this plan. Smiley

The Atlasian Senate isn't like those damn commies in the U.S. Congress.  We like to hear from our voters and we pay attention to what they have to say. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2005, 10:43:38 PM »

I'd like to make this into an amendment:

You know, if we do pass this thing, we should also order the creation of a new account that certain members of the government have access to where all the votes are sent to. Also, to prevent fraud, let's require every person who has sent in a ballot to notify that they have voted in a thread created by the SoFA so when the ballots are counted we can check to see if there where any votes deleted from the count.

Gabu, can you please tell me the current state of this bill after all the amendments so I can see what needs to be changed?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2005, 10:47:46 PM »

I'm not a senator, so i dont know if im supposed to post in here, or if my opion matters, but i would like to say that i love this plan. Smiley

The Atlasian Senate isn't like those damn commies in the U.S. Congress.  We like to hear from our voters and we pay attention to what they have to say. Smiley

they never respond to my letters. Sad Rotten commies. Tongue lol
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2005, 02:29:36 AM »

I'd like to make this into an amendment:

You know, if we do pass this thing, we should also order the creation of a new account that certain members of the government have access to where all the votes are sent to. Also, to prevent fraud, let's require every person who has sent in a ballot to notify that they have voted in a thread created by the SoFA so when the ballots are counted we can check to see if there where any votes deleted from the count.

Gabu, can you please tell me the current state of this bill after all the amendments so I can see what needs to be changed?

Sure thing... also, come to think of it, the current amendment only needs one more "aye" vote to pass and you haven't voted yet.  Stop stalling! Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2005, 10:57:53 AM »

Aye on any amendment I have yet to vote on. Tongue
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2005, 11:21:18 AM »

Why hasn't there been voting on my amendment?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2005, 12:41:27 PM »

Gabu struck it out from debate using the frivolous clause of the procedural resolution.

Unfortunately, the 24-hour period to challenge such a ruling and find two Senators who agree with you passed a long time ago.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2005, 03:29:03 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2005, 03:30:41 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

With five votes in favor to none against, and with only nine senators present, Colin's first amendment has passed.

Because all it did was shift the District 4 and Southeast senators to the top of the succession list.  It was a completely pointless amendment, so I tossed it out, as I'm allowed to do.  It was also a blatant filibuster attempt, but that's an entirely different story that played no part in my throwing it out.

You had ample time to challenge my throwing it out, but you didn't do anything, so my action stands.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2005, 03:45:07 PM »

With five votes in favor to none against, and with only nine senators present, Colin's first amendment has passed.

Because all it did was shift the District 4 and Southeast senators to the top of the succession list.  It was a completely pointless amendment, so I tossed it out, as I'm allowed to do.  It was also a blatant filibuster attempt, but that's an entirely different story that played no part in my throwing it out.

You had ample time to challenge my throwing it out, but you didn't do anything, so my action stands.
Well it really wasn't a fillibuster, I support this bill.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2005, 04:23:33 PM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2005, 06:44:12 PM »

Nothing really needs to be changed or added on unless I've missed an amendment besides the voting thread one.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2005, 06:59:35 PM »

The current version of this bill is as follows:

Section 1

1. During any federal election, a registered voter may choose to submit their ballot or absentee ballot in secret.  This is considered an optional alternative form of voting to a public ballot.  The method of vote submission is outlined in Section 2, Clause 4 below.

2. All secret ballots must satisfy all clauses outlined in Section 1 of the Omnibus Election System, Procedure and Certification Act.

3. No registered voter may vote both publicly and secretly in the same election.  If this occurs, the Secretary of Forum Affairs will discount both votes.

Section 2

1. For the purposes of counting and validating secret ballots, an Electoral Committee will be assembled by no later than a week before the election is scheduled to begin.

2. The Committee will be comprised of three members, consisting of the Secretary of Forum Affairs, the Vice President, and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.

3. In the event that any of the office holders listed either are themselves candidates in the election or are not present to fulfill their duty, those in the aforementioned situation shall be replaced by the highest office holder in the following list who is not a candidate present in the election and who is present to fulfill the duty:

Secretary of State
Attorney General
Secretary of Defense
Secretary of the Treasury
District 1 senator
District 2 senator
District 3 senator
District 4 senator
District 5 senator
Mideast Regional senator
Midwest Regional senator
Northeast Regional senator
Pacific Regional senator
Southeast Regional senator

4. Identical copies of all secret ballots will be submitted for counting by the voter to each of the three members of the Committee in the form of a personal message.

5. Once voting has officially ended, the Committee will convene in a private and suitable manner.  Each member will ensure that their own collected ballots are identical to the corresponding ballots collected by the other two members.

6. In the event that any one of the three copies of a ballot does not match the corresponding copies, the ballot will be discounted.

7. All legitimate ballots will then be incorporated into the vote count and subsequent certification for the relevant election.

8. Once the election has been certified, the Committee will disband.

9. Corruption, electoral fraud, the changing of votes, and tampering with votes in any way, is hereby criminalized in Atlasia. All members of the said committee who are found guilty of any of these charges will have their voting rights striped for a maximum of one year. Trials will be conducted according to the provisions set in place by the Omnibus Criminal Law Act.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2005, 11:21:03 PM »

I'll post an amendment late Friday.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2005, 03:19:44 PM »

If that's next Friday that's a terrible filibuster attempt! Tongue
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2005, 03:37:39 PM »

Well it really wasn't a fillibuster, I support this bill.
Speaking of that amendment (which sought to place the District 4 and Southeast Senators higher), I wrote in the Legislation Introduction Thread:

"Might I suggest that we instead order Senators by seniority? The President pro Tempore would be the most senior Senator. The others would be ranked by length of service. If length of service is tied, then the tie would be broken by the order in which the oath of office was taken."

Ranking Senators by seniority for the purposes of this bill seems better than arbitrarily placing Senators on the basis of the regions and districts represented. Might I request a Senator to take up this suggestion and propose an amendment?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2005, 03:45:01 PM »

I wouldn't think that'd matter all that much, as going that far down that list looking for Committee members would really be a worst-case scenario.  Still, if a senator thinks its really all that worth the trouble, I can't stop you.  Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2005, 03:50:04 PM »

I wouldn't think that'd matter all that much, as going that far down that list looking for Committee members would really be a worst-case scenario.  Still, if a senator thinks its really all that worth the trouble, I can't stop you.  Wink

I just want to get this passed the way it is now, it's fine and dandy this way.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2005, 10:10:22 PM »

Family barbeque had to attend.  Give me until tomorrow....60% done with amendment.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2005, 07:07:11 PM »

Here is the amendment.  If you don't like a particular part of it, then approve of this and then amend the amendment:

King Amendment to Section 2
(a).  Section 2 shall be removed and replaced with the following:

Section 2

1.  Secret ballot votes shall be cast using the SMF Private Messaging (PM) system to a single non-posting account created by the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

2.  The password for this account shall be changed after every general election and then be distributed to the current holders of the offices of Secretary of Forum Affairs, Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs, and a delegate from the Senate who will serve as the Committee on Private Voting to count such votes. The Senate delegate shall be selected by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate or elected by a Senate vote if the President Pro Tempore is not available.

3.  If a special election is called, the Committee on Private Voting from the previous election shall administer the secret ballot votes for the special election.

Section 3

To prevent fraud in the counting of secret ballots, persons who opt to use the secret ballot shall be required to (a) send a single copy of the ballot to the official PM account and (b) post a statement in an official secret ballot signature thread created by one of the secret voting overseers in which they give a signature as notification of their secret ballot vote. If a voter fails to post their signature in the thread before voting closes, their vote shall not be disqualified from counting.

Section 4

1.  Once an election has ended, the Committee must release a list of all voters who have cast a secret ballot and whether their votes are valid or invalid.

2.  The list of invalid votes must include a reason why each vote was disqualified.

3.  If a voter who has given signature is not listed and a record of the vote can be obtained in the Inbox of the private voting account, the vote shall be legally counted.  The election shall not be certified until such votes have been counted.

4(a).  If a voter who has given signature is not listed and a record of the vote cannot be obtained, the voter shall be granted the right to file a civil case against the members of the Committee for voting fraud.

4(b).  If five or more voters who have given signature are not listed and a record of the votes cannot be obtained, the Attorney General shall be granted the right to file a criminal case against the members of the Committee for voting fraud.

4(c).  If a voter is found responsible for either offense of 4(a) or 4(b), the Attorney General shall be granted the right to file a criminal case against the voter for legal fraud.

(b). The clause "The method of vote submission is outlined in Section 2, Clause 4 below." in Section 1, Clause 1 shall be removed.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2005, 08:26:04 PM »

4(a).  If a voter who has given signature is not listed and a record of the vote cannot be obtained, the voter shall be granted the right to file a civil case against the members of the Committee for voting fraud.

4(b).  If five or more voters who have given signature are not listed and a record of the votes cannot be obtained, the Attorney General shall be granted the right to file a criminal case against the members of the Committee for voting fraud.
Let as assume that a few voters get together and decide to sign that they have voted without having actually sent a ballot. On what basis shall a court decide whether the fraud has been committed by the voters or by the committee members? What evidence could either side conceivably present?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2005, 09:03:16 PM »

Let as assume that a few voters get together and decide to sign that they have voted without having actually sent a ballot. On what basis shall a court decide whether the fraud has been committed by the voters or by the committee members? What evidence could either side conceivably present?

Whistleblowers, I guess.  Somebody saying a little too much on AIM or Teamspeak.  That is how it works in the real world.

I don't understand why a group people would throw away their vote for no reason anyway.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2005, 11:16:14 PM »

I have one more amendment:

Section 10

Once a secret ballot is submitted to the three electoral comission members the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall, as soon as possible, post this ballot in the official voting booth for that election. This ballot must not include the name of the voter or any definitive markings that could compromise the anonymity of the said secret voter.

I would like to motion for a vote on this amendment, since it has been a 24 hours without any debate on the substance of it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2005, 11:36:31 PM »

Okay, I hereby open voting on this amendment:

I have one more amendment:

Section 10

Once a secret ballot is submitted to the three electoral comission members the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall, as soon as possible, post this ballot in the official voting booth for that election. This ballot must not include the name of the voter or any definitive markings that could compromise the anonymity of the said secret voter.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2005, 04:37:13 AM »

For what it's worth, I strongly urge the Senate to vote against the current amendment, as it completely undermines the anti-tactical voting intent of the bill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2005, 06:03:16 AM »

I'm going to have to vote nay, for the reasons I've already said in this thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies