Moderate Republicans get best Approval ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:50:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Moderate Republicans get best Approval ratings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moderate Republicans get best Approval ratings  (Read 1592 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2005, 10:57:23 AM »

Top 3 Republicans

Susan Collins (71% approve)
Olympia Snowe (71% approve)
John McCain (67% approve)
Ted Stevens (66% approve)

Bottom 4 Republicans

John Cornyn (40% approve)
Richard Burr (42% approve)
Mel Martinez (43% approve)
Tom Coburn (43% approve/40% disapprove)

Rick Santorum has the highest disapproval numbers in the Senate (though DeWine isn't doing so hot either)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:59:25 AM »

Rick Santorum has the highest disapproval numbers in the Senate (though DeWine isn't doing so hot either)

Not if you go by Quinnipiac numbers which have shown Santorum's disapproval ratings hardly ever breaking out of the 30s.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 11:01:54 AM »

don, you know that i agree with you on most things.

however, in fairness, the reason that the conservative senators get the lowest ratings *may* be because they are very outspoken and are constantly in the news.

the moderates, by definition, dont really have strong feelings about anything (therefore they offend less people less often)

i guess mccain would be an exception because he is a media whore.  but i dont really consider him a 'moderate' anyway.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 11:05:14 AM »

Maybe so, but I'd imagine that Susan Collins is on TV just as much in Maine as Richard Burr is in North Carolina.

And you of all people should know that Moderates not only have strong feelings, but in many cases those feelings are stronger on these important issues than those of extremists - becuase we know that policy affects real people.  We don't just pander to ideological whims.

don, you know that i agree with you on most things.

however, in fairness, the reason that the conservative senators get the lowest ratings *may* be because they are very outspoken and are constantly in the news.

the moderates, by definition, dont really have strong feelings about anything (therefore they offend less people less often)

i guess mccain would be an exception because he is a media whore.  but i dont really consider him a 'moderate' anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 11:15:34 AM »

See? The curse of Nixon will claim another victim soon enough...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »

burr's approval rating is a bit of an oddity.  he hasnt been in office long enough for many people to have a firm opinion.  i suspect most north carolinians are pretty unfamiliar with him.

burr isnt a rigid conservative either.  he is very pro-business.  he isnt a bible beater, by any means.

i like burr a lot.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 11:19:05 AM »

He voted against one of the Clinton impeachment charges as a Congressman. Few Southern Republicans did that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 11:31:23 AM »

burr's approval rating is a bit of an oddity.

No it isn't. Nixon cursed that seat. No one has been re-elected in it since Ervin retired and no one ever will be! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Wink
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 11:54:27 AM »

And you of all people should know that Moderates not only have strong feelings, but in many cases those feelings are stronger on these important issues than those of extremists - becuase we know that policy affects real people.  We don't just pander to ideological whims.

Don beats me to it.

It is very easy to be an ideologue, being an ideologue means no matter what the situation you have the easy answer and nothing is ever grey its always black and white… for moderates it is much harder you have to treat every situation separately and while your principles may not change the application of those principles can change. Politicians where elected to do a job which impacts on real people and they should think of their constituents first and their ideology second and to few politicians do that these days.

I think the British Labour leader Neil Kinnock launched the best assault on unreconstructed ideologues back in the eighties when he said to the Labour Party conference…

“…implausible promises don’t win vicotires. I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises, You start with far fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a ridgid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, outdated misplaced irrelevant to the real needs and you end in the grotesque chaos of a labour council, a labour council! Hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers! I am telling you, no matter how enterianing, how fulfilling ogf short term egos – I’m telling you and you’ll listen – you can’t play poltics with peoples jobs and with their services or with their homes…”       

Principles do not change, not just politician's principles but the principles ordinary hard working people live their lives by don’t change, not much, but the commonsensical application of those principles is forever changing… and that’s something ideologues just don’t get, because “the people” never feature in their calculations in any real sense while for moderates the views, needs and aspirations of “the people” are at the very heart of their interpretation of what should be done. 

…been a long time since I had a little ramble Wink               
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 02:56:38 PM »

The thing about these new senators, is it might be better to look at their net approval ratings. I am surprised to see Coburn so low, but I'm not very experienced with Senate polling data.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 03:12:22 PM »

Don beats me to it.

It is very easy to be an ideologue, being an ideologue means no matter what the situation you have the easy answer and nothing is ever grey its always black and white… for moderates it is much harder you have to treat every situation separately and while your principles may not change the application of those principles can change. Politicians where elected to do a job which impacts on real people and they should think of their constituents first and their ideology second and to few politicians do that these days.

I think the British Labour leader Neil Kinnock launched the best assault on unreconstructed ideologues back in the eighties when he said to the Labour Party conference…

“…implausible promises don’t win vicotires. I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises, You start with far fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a ridgid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, outdated misplaced irrelevant to the real needs and you end in the grotesque chaos of a labour council, a labour council! Hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers! I am telling you, no matter how enterianing, how fulfilling ogf short term egos – I’m telling you and you’ll listen – you can’t play poltics with peoples jobs and with their services or with their homes…”       

Principles do not change, not just politician's principles but the principles ordinary hard working people live their lives by don’t change, not much, but the commonsensical application of those principles is forever changing… and that’s something ideologues just don’t get, because “the people” never feature in their calculations in any real sense while for moderates the views, needs and aspirations of “the people” are at the very heart of their interpretation of what should be done. 

Good to see you back in the Forum. Smiley
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 11:19:17 PM »

Ted Stevens pays people to like him, so throw that number out.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 12:08:40 AM »

Top 3 Republicans

Susan Collins (71% approve)
Olympia Snowe (71% approve)
John McCain (67% approve)
Ted Stevens (66% approve)

Bottom 4 Republicans

John Cornyn (40% approve)
Richard Burr (42% approve)
Mel Martinez (43% approve)
Tom Coburn (43% approve/40% disapprove)

How did maine get so damn lucky?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 03:57:49 AM »

Don beats me to it.

I'll try to hover around as much as work permits from now on, its been awhile since i was able to post regularly but hopefully i'll have the time to do so now.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 11:55:12 AM »

Don beats me to it.

I'll try to hover around as much as work permits from now on, its been awhile since i was able to post regularly but hopefully i'll have the time to do so now.

Hey, whatever works. I tend to post from work, because that's the only place I have any time to post. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies