DNC Platform Finalized
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:53:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC Platform Finalized
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: DNC Platform Finalized  (Read 6665 times)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2016, 08:33:26 AM »

Very dissapointed about the lack of climate change measures. To my mind, that should be the #1 issue of the left.

What's worse is that Republicans deny climate change, Democrats are completely aware of it. Yet they still cater to the fossil fuel industry just like their political opponents.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2016, 10:32:59 AM »

A rejection of TPP would have been a personal rebuke of Obama. The fact that Sanders and his people insisted on that shows once again that they don't really know how their new party works.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »

A rejection of TPP would have been a personal rebuke of Obama. The fact that Sanders and his people insisted on that shows once again that they don't really know how their new party works.

Keith Ellison just became a Democrat?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2016, 11:19:47 AM »

Nobody "apparently de-criminalised marijuana". It's just a plank in a meaningless party platform. It's not real policy. That's why I think all this posturing over the party platform is so pointless. If you want more left-wing policies, vote for more left-wing candidates. They don't consult the party platform before drafting or voting on legislation. Sanders can get his "free medicare for all" plank in the platform and Democrats would still never pass it.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 11:28:41 AM by Lyin' Steve »

Huge slap about Climate Change. Funny how Browner, Clinton's Climate Champion is apparently a lobbyist for a  fossil fuel firm. Wendy Sherman is also a lobbyist for a firm which represents Dow, Saudi Arabia, Wal Mart. What can you expect from these lobbyists that Clinton appointed?

You do Wendy Sherman a tremendous disservice by smearing her as an oil lobbyist.

Sherman was the director of the Maryland office of child welfare, director of Emily's List, coordinated the democratic party for the 1988 campaigns, was CEO of the Fannie Mae Foundation in the 90s, and spent fifteen years working in the Clinton and Obama state departments, where she led negotiations on the North Korea and Iran nuclear programs.

The firm you're smearing her with is the Albright-Stonebridge Group, led by Madeleine Albright.  It's a prestigious consulting firm on topics related to global strategy.

Also the other woman you've flippantly smeared as a corporate fossil fuel lobbyist, Carol Browner, ran the EPA for eight years during the Clinton administration and was Obama's climate czar, where she handled the Deepwater Horizon crisis.  She's also part of Albright-Stonebridge which is presumably where you're getting that from.

How miserable do you have to be to go around scrambling for threads to smear these accomplished experts as corporate shills just to make yourself feel better about hating Hillary?  It's really sad dude.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

Huge slap about Climate Change. Funny how Browner, Clinton's Climate Champion is apparently a lobbyist for a  fossil fuel firm. Wendy Sherman is also a lobbyist for a firm which represents Dow, Saudi Arabia, Wal Mart. What can you expect from these lobbyists that Clinton appointed?

You do Wendy Sherman a tremendous disservice by smearing her as an oil lobbyist.

Sherman was the director of the Maryland office of child welfare, director of Emily's List, coordinated the democratic party for the 1988 campaigns, was CEO of the Fannie Mae Foundation in the 90s, and spent fifteen years working in the Clinton and Obama state departments, where she led negotiations on the North Korea and Iran nuclear programs.

The firm you're smearing her with is the Albright-Stonebridge Group, led by Madeleine Albright.  It's a prestigious consulting firm on topics related to global strategy.

Also the other woman you've flippantly smeared as a corporate fossil fuel lobbyist, Carol Browner, ran the EPA for eight years during the Clinton administration and was Obama's climate czar, where she handled the Deepwater Horizon crisis.  She's also part of Albright-Stonebridge which is presumably where you're getting that from.

How miserable do you have to be to go around scrambling for threads to smear these accomplished experts as corporate shills just to make yourself feel better about hating Hillary?  It's really sad dude.

Wow, a Bernie cultist is dishonestly smearing women online? Shocking! Never seen that before.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »

The odds of me voting for Trump in November continue to climb...

Despite my issues with the GOP, I will NEVER vote for the Democrats in this election.

They are being taken over by the looney far-lefties and the tankies and the hippies.  'em!
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2016, 04:28:32 PM »

Seriously, though, why did the DNC take such an anti-environmental turn?  Who's funding these hacks?
Wall Street. Who do you think?

Who wants to bet Wall Street donors will find a way to kick $15 to the curb?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2016, 04:37:32 PM »

Abortion funding...and nothing on climate change?

I guess both parties are pro-death on their platforms now.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2016, 12:17:18 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

The following has been accepted for the platform:
- Abolition of the death penalty
- Expansion of Social Security
- Raise minimum wage to $15/hour and index it (referring to the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour as a "starvation wage")
- Updated and modernized version of Glass-Steagall
- Two-state solution of the Israel-Palestinian conflict that guarantees Israel's security with recognized borders and provides the Palestinians with independence, sovereignty, and dignity.

Following has been rejected:
- Opposition to TPP
- Tax on carbon
- National moratorium on fracking

Link

Not everything that I would have wanted, but not an awful start.

$7.25 is a starvation wage?  That may be true in some areas, but around here that would be a barely adequate wage for a full time job that a single person could live a spartan lifestyle on. I do payroll accounting in my current job, so I have some idea of what wage rates are like. Even in retail jobs around here, one can find jobs that pay better than the minimum wage. Anyone stuck at $7.25/hr year after year is probably being overpaid.

Not that I don't think the minimum wage shouldn't be increased, but $15/hr as a national minimum wage is sheer lunacy, and so is the idea that minimum wage should be a living wage as opposed to a spartan wage.

^This, I'm guessing it's an attempt to appease Bernie supporters.

This is not a good policy for the Democrats to incorporate on their platform, minimum wage is far better dealt with on local levels, particularly on municipal levels which are the most attuned to local labor markets. This seems to be part of the phenomenon of progressives increasingly believing most policies need to be dictated on the national level (which probably partly explains why Democrats have been wiped out in so many state offices), a foolhardy proposition at best. I'm all for settling certain issues on the national level, but sometimes it really is better to let the states define their own rulings on matters, minimum wage is definitely one of those issues. Doubling the the value of the lowest bids on the labor market on a national level is a great way to increase unemployment, because lowering your investment cost is exactly how most firms would deal with such a huge market shock.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2016, 10:53:47 PM »

- Raise minimum wage to $15/hour and index it (referring to the current minimum wage of $7.25 an hour as a "starvation wage")
- Two-state solution of the Israel-Palestinian conflict that guarantees Israel's security with recognized borders and provides the Palestinians with independence, sovereignty, and dignity.

- Opposition to TPP
- Tax on carbon

Link

$7.25 is a starvation wage?  That may be true in some areas, but around here that would be a barely adequate wage for a full time job that a single person could live a spartan lifestyle on. I do payroll accounting in my current job, so I have some idea of what wage rates are like. Even in retail jobs around here, one can find jobs that pay better than the minimum wage. Anyone stuck at $7.25/hr year after year is probably being overpaid.

Not that I don't think the minimum wage shouldn't be increased, but $15/hr as a national minimum wage is sheer lunacy, and so is the idea that minimum wage should be a living wage as opposed to a spartan wage.

Most people working minimum wage jobs are not single and do not, in fact, have other options available. Therefore, they end up working multiple jobs and begging for governmental assistance to make ends meet (rent, food, clothing, etc). Not to mention if the worker has children, which adds in more food, insurance, school, daycare costs. God forbid someone gets sick. $15/hr is a bare minimum, and still falls short of what a "living" wage should be if factors like rising productivity were taken into account. For me, it's a moral and an economic issue. Considering the average CEO makes roughly $7k per hour while others beg for table scraps, we should be talking about a maximum wage cap.

Anyway, nobody should be surprised at the DNC platform's shortcomings (not that it means anything). In a party currently primarily based on settling for "realistic" goals, I'm shocked to find anything other than DEFEATING DONALD TRUMP!@!!!! on the platform.
Human
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »

Wonderful news!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »

The DNC Platform was finalized yesterday, producing a document that is probably the most progressive in America's history. Here are some highlights of additions to since late June:

- Tough police-reform plank, committing Democrats to "require the use of body cameras," stop "racial profiling" and "stop the use of weapons of war that have no place in our communities."
- Tough new antitrust language
- Pathway for marijuana legalization
- Language that prioritized the building of solar and wind plants before natural-gas facilities, along with greater regulation for fracking
- Calling for a public option to the ACA
- Condemning the anti-abortion Hyde and Helms amendments
- Dems should apply tough standards to everything including the TPP (but falls short of opposing it)

As a Sanders supporter, while I am bummed that some things weren't included (particularly opposing the TPP and harsher language on Israel), I am very pleased with the platform overall. Especially on issues regarding the minimum wage, marijuana, abortion, and police reforms. Very proud to be a Democrat where the party produced one of the most progressive party platforms in American History.

Article on the Platform   
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »

They suck as bad as the GOP on foreign policy, domestic spying, and almost as bad on the environment. The dems seem like just a pro-abortion/lgbt version of the GOP with some economic lipservice thatll never go anywhere.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2016, 08:13:25 PM »

Wow, look at all those concessions to Sanders.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »

If they took an anti-TPP plank, I'd strongly consider Johnson.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »

Might as well just rename themselves the Communist Party. Glad I joined a party that at least talks about real issues, like fighting terror and reducing illegal immigration.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »

Might as well just rename themselves the Communist Party. Glad I joined a party that at least talks about real issues, like fighting terror and reducing illegal immigration.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04:41 PM »

Ebul globalists! Reeee!
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »

Ah yes, the party that wants to destroy women's healthcare, not just abortions.  The party that hates the gays, women, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, really anyone who doesn't fit the mold of a good ol' boy.  You seem right at home in that party.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2016, 11:50:04 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2016, 11:53:19 PM by matthew27 »

- Opposition to TPP
- Tax on carbon

Simply replace getting rid of the death penalty with opposition to the TPP and it would be something to be proud of. Within my opinion it would be even better if they added rebuilding our infrastructure, funding science and attempting to repair our educational system as part of the platform.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2016, 11:52:48 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2016, 11:54:20 PM by realisticidealist »

I don't think I could ever support a candidate who supports overturning the Hyde Amendment. I can hold my nose for someone who supports the status quo from time to time, but that's simply unconscionable. Against that, I'd even vote for Cruz.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:55 AM »

If only the world was as great as right-wingers believe Sad
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2016, 12:05:50 AM »

The DNC Platform was finalized yesterday, producing a document that is probably the most progressive in America's history. Here are some highlights of additions to since late June:

- Tough police-reform plank, committing Democrats to "require the use of body cameras," stop "racial profiling" and "stop the use of weapons of war that have no place in our communities."
- Language that prioritized the building of solar and wind plants before natural-gas facilities, along with greater regulation for fracking
- Dems should apply tough standards to everything including the TPP (but falls short of opposing it)

I sincerely hope Sanders gets an explicitly anti-TPP amendment through on the floor, but this looks pretty good.

Actually getting close to supporting the ticket after this. We'll see who gets nominated as VP, and how that person campaigns.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 12:07:56 AM »

I sincerely hope Sanders gets an explicitly anti-TPP amendment through on the floor, but this looks pretty good.

Actually getting close to supporting the ticket after this. We'll see who gets nominated as VP, and how that person campaigns.

I was going to vote for the ticket anyways to stop Trump, but I am very satisfied by these concessions on HRC's and the DNC's parts. Smiley They're not perfect, but they are well in the right direction.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies