Character education
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:18:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Character education
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Would you have supported this bill? (see link below)
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Character education  (Read 6881 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2005, 05:03:39 PM »

Hah, yeah supporting allies is consistent with wanting to do what the leader of that country does. Okay, Nice work there

If you support him in power, then you have to face the consequences of that support. Period.

So having a picture of him in my signature means I support what he does. Okay, by the same token, you showing a Democratic avatar means you support all of their policies.

Avatars are a part of the site, duh. Karimov is a little-known third world dictator whose picture you prominently started displaying right around the time of the Andijan massacre. Figure it out.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »

And what exactly differentiates the two? Both show support for something by displaying it here. Obviously, you support the platform of the Democratic Party to the letter, just like you alledge that I support all of President Karimov's policies.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2005, 05:18:01 PM »

So why do you support Karimov?  If it's because you don't like betraying allies or whatever, then perhaps you should put a picture of Stalin in your signature.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2005, 05:21:40 PM »

And what exactly differentiates the two? Both show support for something by displaying it here. Obviously, you support the platform of the Democratic Party to the letter, just like you alledge that I support all of President Karimov's policies.

Do I really have to spell it out? I have the Democratic avatar here because it's a feature of the message board to tell people which party I identify with. Just because I identify with a party doesn't mean I agree with all their positions.

On the other hand, you picked Karimov's picture out of an infinite number of possible choices, he's a little-known dictator with a very low profile who most Americans don't have a clue about. The one time he made it on the news here in America was because of the Uzbek democracy movement and the Andijan massacre. It was exactly around that time you started posting his picture up. I can see no possible reasonable expectation of what one should expect from your actions other than the assumptions I made. Now you have had a gazillion posts to clarify your position, and I would welcome it if you did.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »

So why do you support Karimov?  If it's because you don't like betraying allies or whatever, then perhaps you should put a picture of Stalin in your signature.

Obviously, Stalin is no longer a US ally as he's been six feet under for 52 years.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2005, 07:44:48 PM »

Actually, come to think of it, guys behind cash registers routinely say that in both countries, but I kinda wish they wouldn't.  It always makes me feel weird.
I don't suppose you've been addressed as the wrong one (in your case, ma'am) before? It happens to me so much that it's rather annoying. Tongue

Not by a guy behind the cash register, but I have been addressed repeatedly as the wrong sex by restaurant waitresses who look at my mom, and then my ponytail, and then launch into the spiel of "Good evening, ladies, our special tonight..."
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2005, 08:14:08 PM »

I would easily vote NO.  What kind of Democrats are these?  They even make John Perzel in PA look like a blleding heart liberal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2005, 08:43:35 PM »

They even make John Perzel in PA look like a blleding heart liberal.

Why do you do that? Do you realize that very few people know who you're referring to when you say that?
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2005, 10:03:33 PM »

Why, States, should I respect someone for simply being older than me? I give due respect to those who I believe deserve it. But I will not respect someone like Opebo soley because they are older, and thus "more wise" than me. I judge people on their intellect, virtue, morals, and wiseness. I believe that respecting people just because of their age is taking the easy way out of life.

Age doesn't bring wisdom, just (usually) exposure to more life experiences.  Experience only builds wisdom if you learn from it.

(how many xp do I have til the next level anyway? Tongue)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2005, 10:15:36 PM »

Actually, come to think of it, guys behind cash registers routinely say that in both countries, but I kinda wish they wouldn't.  It always makes me feel weird.
I don't suppose you've been addressed as the wrong one (in your case, ma'am) before? It happens to me so much that it's rather annoying. Tongue

Not by a guy behind the cash register, but I have been addressed repeatedly as the wrong sex by restaurant waitresses who look at my mom, and then my ponytail, and then launch into the spiel of "Good evening, ladies, our special tonight..."
Oh dear. That's gotta hurt. Roll Eyes

Seems like hair causes plenty of confusion amongst strangers for some reason. My mother frequently gets called 'sir', and I get called the wrong title too quite often (especially since I got a haircut recently). So my conclusion is that maybe it's better to not address someone as 'sir' or 'ma'am' unless you are absolutely sure of the other person's gender. Tongue

In all seriousness, how do you address transvestites?  In my cases, I generally ask if the person prefers feminime or masculine forms.  (And yes, I had clients at the welfare office that were transvestites).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2005, 10:23:18 PM »

I'd address them in the way I address my dog personally.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2005, 10:24:13 PM »

I'd address them in the way I address my dog personally.

I don't think teachers would like it very much if you said "Here, boy!" to them. Tongue
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2005, 11:51:42 PM »

Maybe not though I'd refuse to learn from a freak like that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2005, 12:14:31 AM »

Wow, from the response here it sounds like the Northeast and northwest are terrible places to live. No one says "sir" or "ma'am". Do you people even bother to hold doors open for women or open car doors for women anymore? No wonder they say northerners are so brash.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2005, 12:15:11 AM »

Hah, yeah supporting allies is consistent with wanting to do what the leader of that country does. Okay, Nice work there

If you support him in power, then you have to face the consequences of that support. Period.

So having a picture of him in my signature means I support what he does. Okay, by the same token, you showing a Democratic avatar means you support all of their policies.

Avatars are a part of the site, duh. Karimov is a little-known third world dictator whose picture you prominently started displaying right around the time of the Andijan massacre. Figure it out.

Were these protestors Muslim extremists?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2005, 12:15:31 AM »

Wow, from the response here it sounds like the Northeast and northwest are terrible places to live. No one says "sir" or "ma'am". Do you people even bother to hold doors open for women or open car doors for women anymore? No wonder they say northerners are so brash.

I'm polite to women.  I just don't call them "ma'am" because everyone I know would look at me very strangely if I did.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2005, 12:20:53 PM »

Were these protestors Muslim extremists?

Don't think so. Not that there aren't muslim extremists in almost any country including Uzbekistan, but in this case I believe they were just ordinary protestors. Anyways, Hamas is generally considered extremist yet they have been welcomed to participate in elections.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2005, 06:41:47 PM »

Opening doors for women is condescending to them.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2005, 06:50:16 PM »

No it is not, and it shouldn't be sexist either. If two people are approaching a door, the most polite person will hold it open for the other, no matter what gender.

I feel the South used to be a pretty polite place to live, but "Southern hospitality" is dying out. kind of sad.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »

No it is not, and it shouldn't be sexist either.
Certainly; it is not sexist, but chivalrous.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2005, 06:58:01 PM »

It depends on the woman, really.  Some enjoy having guys open doors for them.  Others see it as an encroachment on their independence.  There's no one right or wrong thing to do.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2005, 07:00:20 PM »

It depends on the woman, really.  Some enjoy having guys open doors for them.  Others see it as an encroachment on their independence. 

If they are so independent, they should 1. get to the door faster and 2. not be so uptight about a gesture that may or may not have anything to do with their gender.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2005, 07:04:32 PM »

I'm polite to women.  I just don't call them "ma'am" because everyone I know would look at me very strangely if I did.

I've had several supervisors (female) who got very upset with me when I called them "Ma'am."  It was considered inappropriate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2005, 07:09:50 PM »

It depends on the woman, really.  Some enjoy having guys open doors for them.  Others see it as an encroachment on their independence. 

If they are so independent, they should 1. get to the door faster and 2. not be so uptight about a gesture that may or may not have anything to do with their gender.

Well, I'm just saying that it's an action that's intended to be helpful, and if it's not helpful and is actually the opposite, then it doesn't exactly serve its intended purpose and should not be done.  Obviously, if it's just some random female off the street, then you couldn't know, and it would not be a bad idea to just assume that she'll appreciate it, but if it's someone who you know dislikes that sort of behavior, it seems to me that it would not exactly be impolite not to do it.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2005, 07:12:03 PM »

Yes, if you know they don't like it, that would be rude.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies