The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:52:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 40547 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: July 09, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »

Friendly reminder, the turn is over, so no more PM's.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2016, 05:54:12 AM »

Friendly reminder, the turn is over, so no more PM's.

At risk of being a pain in the neck: I haven't received your response to my earlier question whether I sent military orders regarding Greece, or I missed that one.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #427 on: July 12, 2016, 01:06:01 AM »

Well... I guess I am having my butt handed to me. Why does China hate me specifically? I mean I know I am ruling with fascist tendencies, but come on! I am giving them movies!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #428 on: July 12, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »

Well... I guess I am having my butt handed to me. Why does China hate me specifically? I mean I know I am ruling with fascist tendencies, but come on! I am giving them movies!

There's a number of factors to consider (there are some hints here and there), but specifically for the past results you got some of the most awful dice rolls I've ever seen when I simulated the Beijing coups. On the bright side, the Communists are losing ground.

Right, writing, researching and simulating all that took three hours, and I'm exhausted. You'll get the turn crisis later, so the turn hasn't started yet.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #429 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:17 AM »

There's a number of factors to consider (there are some hints here and there), but specifically for the past results you got some of the most awful dice rolls I've ever seen when I simulated the Beijing coups. On the bright side, the Communists are losing ground.

Right, writing, researching and simulating all that took three hours, and I'm exhausted. You'll get the turn crisis later, so the turn hasn't started yet.

Excitement is mounting Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2016, 04:49:18 AM »

War crimes? Seriously?

I know this is a game, but I feel very uncomfortable with these kind of things.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #431 on: July 12, 2016, 05:37:00 AM »

I'm a little surprised with Victor Emmanuel having a low approval numbers. Shouldn't there be a "rallying around the flag" factor?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2016, 12:58:22 PM »

War crimes? Seriously?

I didn't realize it was a war crime. Believe me, it's a lot better than what Kalwejt suggests.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »

I'm a little surprised with Victor Emmanuel having a low approval numbers. Shouldn't there be a "rallying around the flag" factor?

It's more game factors than the game reality, particularly since the King just returned to the game and it has been the Pope who's been leading the charge. If the war continues to be popular or successful, the ratings will change. But it refects that, not that he has become more unpopular.

War crimes? Seriously?

I didn't realize it was a war crime. Believe me, it's a lot better than what Kalwejt suggests.

I always place emphasis on the wording, in this case that Romania has been denounced by others as taking part in a war crime. I understood the military sense of Kingpoleon's orders, naturally, but when you order a capital to be bombed non-stop for a week even in this timeset the results would probably resemble Guernica, or Rotterdam, or London or Warsaw, if at a lesser scale.

Now, if the players think this is simulating orders to an extreme, I can of course change the way if simulate these results to leave war crimes out unless explicitly ordered to do something that could cause them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #434 on: July 12, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »

It's more game factors than the game reality, particularly since the King just returned to the game and it has been the Pope who's been leading the charge. If the war continues to be popular or successful, the ratings will change. But it refects that, not that he has become more unpopular.

Well, at least I'm not on the "low" level now Wink

?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »

Kalwejt kind of suggested executing the Bulgarian Tsar in "Istanbul".

Lumine, I'm afraid I do not quite understand the charges of war crimes. What exactly did I do wrong there?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »

First of all, it's a bit inappropriate to reveal the context of private OOC discussions.

Second, how executing one person would be worse than bombing the entire city to the rubbles?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »

Guys, I think it's pretty clear that this is just a game and our moves does not represent us in RL. None of us is a war crime apologist.

When you wage a war, civilians are bound to get hurt and there always will be more or less justified accusation of war crimes.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »

Guys, I think it's pretty clear that this is just a game and our moves does not represent us in RL. None of us is a war crime apologist.

When you wage a war, civilians are bound to get hurt and there always will be more or less justified accusation of war crimes.
Still I would like it to be avoided.
This is a game so I guess people can avoid doing this kind of things.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »

Good for you. Make sure then your troops remembers how to behave, while other players will be concerned with their troops.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »

Good for you. Make sure then your troops remembers how to behave, while other players will be concerned with their troops.
Oh I will Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »

First of all, it's a bit inappropriate to reveal the context of private OOC discussions.

Second, how executing one person would be worse than bombing the entire city to the rubbles?

Bit of a warning, Kingpoleon (both as moderator and as this game's GM), private discussions are to remain private. Even if it is in jest, it's still private.

The "war crimes" subject is always one hard to touch, but inevitably all these games have had their share of atrocities, as real life did. I think the current approach works, so all I ask is that people don't go overboard on the issue, and so far they haven't. But remember that I often try to look at the unforseen consecuences of the actions taken and the situations we face in the game.

I'm halfway through the turn crisis as well.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »

Kalwejt seemed to have forgotten what he suggested. My apologies.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #443 on: July 13, 2016, 12:27:25 AM »

I'd say that war crimes and things are very much part of the game, and some time an unintended effect of war depending on whose point of view the accusations come from. If anyone is worried about the more graphic side of politics... I'd steer away from America's posts Wink

When you play the game of... Republics, you win or you... Well go into exile
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »

Has the turn started???
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »

Man, I hope the RL coup won't give Lumine any ideas.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2016, 10:20:56 PM »

As I can say is that I strongly recommend that the players read my BBC updates carefully on upcoming turns, xD

I'm sorry if the turn is not up yet. I was participating in a small group of students opposed to the strike which got leaked, and the pro-strike students are reacting in a less than ideal way... so that mess has me both depressed and busy. But they will get done, even if they are brief.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #447 on: July 16, 2016, 07:31:35 AM »

As I can say is that I strongly recommend that the players read my BBC updates carefully on upcoming turns, xD

Please just remember I'm not Erdogan Tongue

I'm sorry if the turn is not up yet. I was participating in a small group of students opposed to the strike which got leaked, and the pro-strike students are reacting in a less than ideal way... so that mess has me both depressed and busy. But they will get done, even if they are brief.
[/quote]

Good thing it's nothing more serious Smiley I admit I was getting a bit worried.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #448 on: July 16, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »

Please just remember I'm not Erdogan Tongue

Good thing it's nothing more serious Smiley I admit I was getting a bit worried.
[/quote]
^^^^^^
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #449 on: July 17, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »

And turn posted!

I expect war moves by Thursday, could be extended with good reasons.

PM's and moves now fully allowed, so have fun!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies