Will Ted Cruz run for re-election in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:26:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Ted Cruz run for re-election in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will he or won't he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Will Ted Cruz run for re-election in 2018?  (Read 1084 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »

I think he will, and he'll run for president again some day, whether it be 2020 or 2024.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »

Is this even a question?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »

I'm sure he will, but I hope he doesn't.  I hope a less extreme Republican takes him down in the primary, but I don't think that will happen.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:46 PM »

yes, he may take Jim DeMint's job at the Heritage foundation.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »

I think Ted Cruz was always planning on using the Senate as just a stepping stone for the Presidency. He has no interest in the Senate beyond that. My gut says he doesn't run.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:59 PM »

What? Do you have some special insider knowledge that I don't? I think there's legitimate doubts.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »

What? Do you have some special insider knowledge that I don't? I think there's legitimate doubts.

I don't have any insider knowledge.  I had just never considered the possibility of him not running for reelection.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:40:53 PM »

Since Clinton will presumably win in November, 2020 will be another open nomination fight for the presidency on the GOP side.  In that case, Cruz is all but a lock to run for president again.  However, because Texas is such a Republican state and Cruz is reasonably popular with Texas Republicans, I assume he'd have no problem running for reelection in 2018, and then running for prez in 2020.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 11:46:42 PM »

Since Clinton will presumably win in November, 2020 will be another open nomination fight for the presidency on the GOP side.  In that case, Cruz is all but a lock to run for president again.  However, because Texas is such a Republican state and Cruz is reasonably popular with Texas Republicans, I assume he'd have no problem running for reelection in 2018, and then running for prez in 2020.

He and Rand Paul will probably rejoin for the 2016 redux in 2020, along with some newcomers like Cotton, Gardner, Amash, etc...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 01:16:26 AM »

Texas is still Republican enough for him having few problems in reelection bid. So - yes. It's about 2020 that i have serious doubts....
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 01:40:29 AM »

Voted "yes", but I don't think it's as much of a done deal as others here suggest. I doubt he would lose any support for being an ex-Senator as opposed to an incumbent, and it can't be pleasant working in a place where everyone comically hates you. Texas Republicans still like him, and if he doesn't win 2020/2024 he'd probably be the gubernatorial frontrunner in a post-Abbott world.

That said, keeping his grip on his Senate seat is the path of least resistance to staying relevant in the political conversation for the rest of his life, and I doubt he would even be challenged seriously, from within or without the party. So the default assumption is he keeps his seat, I think.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 03:18:55 AM »

Voted "yes", but I don't think it's as much of a done deal as others here suggest. I doubt he would lose any support for being an ex-Senator as opposed to an incumbent, and it can't be pleasant working in a place where everyone comically hates you. Texas Republicans still like him, and if he doesn't win 2020/2024 he'd probably be the gubernatorial frontrunner in a post-Abbott world.

That said, keeping his grip on his Senate seat is the path of least resistance to staying relevant in the political conversation for the rest of his life, and I doubt he would even be challenged seriously, from within or without the party. So the default assumption is he keeps his seat, I think.

Exactly my reasoning. "Former Sen. and 2016 runner up Ted Cruz" has the same amount of appeal as "Sen. Ted Cruz". And if he leaves office in 2019, it's not like the populace would have forgotten about him when he starts his campaign up again in a few months.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »

It is the path of least resistance, but Ted Cruz A. has never been a team player and is something of a chronic backstabber, and B. does not like being in the Senate.

I could just about imagine him primarying Abbott in 2018 and making everyone in the TX GOP fume about it. Those people hate him and he hates them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies