Bush consultant meets with McCain about presidential bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:46:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Bush consultant meets with McCain about presidential bid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush consultant meets with McCain about presidential bid  (Read 600 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2005, 09:13:40 AM »

"Mark McKinnon, the Austin political consultant who oversaw the advertising for President Bush in the 2000 and 2004 campaigns, has committed to help Sen. John McCain in a second presidential bid," the Morning News reports. It goes on: "McKinnon ... met with the Arizona Republican over lunch this spring in the Senate dining room to discuss his support, said a GOP activist familiar with the meeting."

Now, the Senate dining room is not a great place to have a secret meeting. For one thing, it's full of Senators. Dining, mostly. Not a crowd well-known for keeping a secret, and exactly the kind of people who would recognise Mark McKinnon. So, if I were a Senator, planning a presidential campaign three years hence, which I don't want people to know about (we know it needs to be secret because the "GOP activist familiar with the meeting" is an anonymous source) the only place less sensible for my meeting would be somewhere where there were cameras running. I'd go to Arizona. I was in Arizona recently and I can assure you there are lots of places there with not many people.

So, if McKinnon has agreed to work with McCain, I doubt that arrangement was made at that meeting. "McKinnon's commitment to McCain," the Morning News says - (my guess is that 'commitment' is way too strong a word this early on) - "is among the earliest to any candidate, particularly among the cadre of senior advisers who guided the president's last two campaigns."

Link

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 09:29:59 AM »

Secret or not (most on here knew he was going to do it), McCain is already trying to get his ducks in a row for 2008.  I wish he wouldn't run (for reasons already stated in the past), but at least he's making all the necessary preperations.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:32:44 AM »

The Republican primary in 2008 should be pretty fascinating.

Right now in the polls, the moderates (McCain and Guiliani) are out in front of the wingnuts (Frist, Allen, Brownback). It's going to be a real struggle to see which faction of the Republican party can get the nomination. Will McCain be ready for the personal attacks that will surely be used against him?

I'm pretty sure a moderate Democrat will be our nominee in 2008.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:32:52 AM »

You know what... If I dont get my candidate in 2008, I might actually consider voting for McCain.  IMO, he is one of the few politicians capable of bringing this polarized country back together.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:35:42 AM »

You know what... If I dont get my candidate in 2008, I might actually consider voting for McCain.

I would possibly consider voting for him over Hillary, but not any other Democrat.

We need to make sure Hillary is not our nominee in 2008. I would also like to see a more united country.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 10:31:48 AM »

We need to make sure Hillary is not our nominee in 2008. I would also like to see a more united country.

Now that is something I think we can all agree on.  I think the only way that will happen is if we don't end up with states having to go through recounts over and over (see Florida 2000 and Ohio 2004), which started this whole split society issue (I honestly don't think it was the candidates that caused it).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies