Poll for the next ASOIAF game, to be hosted by Leonardo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Poll for the next ASOIAF game, to be hosted by Leonardo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's the next ASOIAF game we're gonna run(or other)?
Aegon's Conquest/Century of Blood
The Crowned Stag
Blackfyre Rebellion/s
Dance of the Dragons
Player-generated houses and se
Other (Please list details to go along with vote)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poll for the next ASOIAF game, to be hosted by Leonardo  (Read 3480 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »

These are the time periods we haven't covered for ASOIAF, though if I throw my hat in the ring I'd go for Option 5, player-generated houses and setting, it would provide the most interesting political climate imo, and I'm leaning towards something less war-oriented and more based on intrigue, statecraft, and politics.

1. The Century of Blood

Aegon Targaryen is a younger man than the Aegon the Conqueror we know, as of now only Lord of Dragonstone and the Narrow Sea. Volantis is at the peak of its power, controlling both Lys and Myr, and preparing to move on more of the free cities to grow their fledgling Empire of New Valyria. The Dothraki horselords are on the rise, and Harren Hoare rules the most powerful of the seven kingdoms of Westeros, currently constructing the most impressive and formidable castle ever built, to one day be known as Harrenhal. It is a crueler time full of ironfisted kings and lords whose power knows almost no bounds. The last of the line of Mudd are trying to reclaim their forebears River kingdom, and King Argilac of the Stormlands fiercely defends his lands and seeks to grow his borders and alliances. Loren Lannister and Mern Gardener have forged a marriage pact and seek to keep their lands free of Ironborn raiders, while the Dornish sit in isolation, a viper waiting to strike. Torrhen Stark keeps up the stoic stance of his forebears, watching his coasts and also reigning in his more impulsive brother, Brandon Snow. The Night's Watch is in decline, but still a formidable institution.

2. The Crowned Stag

Robert Baratheon, the first of his name and line, has been crowned and anointed as Lord of the Seven Kingdoms; though his grief of losing his lady love is fresh, he now has seven kingdoms to rule, and decisions to make as to the future of the remaining Targaryens sheltered on Dragonstone, the peace with the Dornish, and assembling his court. He has allies and friends in the Lord of the Vale, North, and now the Westerlands with his recent marraige, but his relationships with the Greyjoys, Tyrells, and of course Martells are less than ideal. There are also new powers rising in the East, and the Night's Watch is at its weakest point in recent memory even after the huge swaths of fresh men sent after the war.

"Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace? It's fear! Fear and blood!"

3. The Blackfyre Rebellions/War of the Ninepenny Kings

Though only three could truly qualify for a game based on the details that we knew(and one likely doomed from the start), the Blackfyre Rebellions were the biggest threat to Targaryen rule until Robert's Rebellion. They divided the seven kingdoms and saw lord pitted against liege, and brother against brother. We would likely open the campaign just after the death of Aegon the Unworthy, with multiple claimants to the throne recently legitimized on his deathbed. This is the time of Bittersteel, Shiera Seastar, Daeron the Good, Daemon Blackfyre, and the feared Bloodraven. In some ways it represents an age old conflict of Blackwood versus Bracken, and sets the stage for the rise of some of the more beloved Targaryens to sit or be in line to the throne, from the aforementioned Daeron the Good, Baelor Breakspear, and Aegon the Unlikely.

4. The Dance of the Dragons

Until the War of the Five Kings, no conflict saw more lives claimed than the Dance of the Dragons, and no war has seen the deaths of so many of the nobility, even the WOTFK. Entire houses were extinguished, and the loss of the dragons would shape the Targaryen reign forever after. At the opening of the conflict, the Targaryens are at the height of their prestige and power; more dragons live now than even after Aenar the Exile's flight from Valyria with his family and five dragons. Their relics are all in place; the crown of Aegon the Conqueror, the sword Dark Sister, and the weapon of the ruling monarch, Blackfyre. What more must be said?

5. Player-generated Houses and Setting

This is the most open ended of all ASOIAF related choices. I propose the players create their own dynasties and house members, using a points based system of my own invention, borrowing from other sources such as the roleplaying game. It would likely take place in the time of the first men pre-andal, roundabouts the Age of Heroes. I believe of all the options it presents us with the most varied climate and would have the most fun and interesting end result. Players could choose houses from the series as well, but since there is so little known about historic figures from this era, house creation would still be very open ended, and the ceiling for what could be capable within the realms of the series would never be higher. You could erect the most formidable castle ever seen in Westeros, attempt to create an empire to rival even Valyria, or wield powerful magic the likes have rarely been seen in the land of Planetos.

6. Other

Rather self explanatory. I'm open to host a game based around the Ancient Greek World, likely with some mythological elements wrapped in, or another set of lore such as the Lord of the Rings. I don't know many series that well or history for that matter, so our options may be more limited in regards to me hosting. I'd much prefer another ASOIAF set game as I know that subject matter nearly back to front.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »

Are you offering to mod the game or are you suggesting it for a future mod?
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »

If anyone wants to help host that would be lovely. Someone to bounce ideas off of and such while I handle most of the grunt work.

I was offering to host/mod it, though if someone else wants to honor by all means Grin
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »

I toyed some time ago with hosting a remake of Clash of Kings, but I must say, most of the options seem a lot more fascinating!

The Crowned Stag and the Dance are my favourite ones, so I'll vote for The Dance of the Dragons.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »

I toyed some time ago with hosting a remake of Clash of Kings, but I must say, most of the options seem a lot more fascinating!

The Crowned Stag and the Dance are my favourite ones, so I'll vote for The Dance of the Dragons.

Yeah I like Crowned Stag because it has a lot of chance for intrigue with an established male adult king and an heir and spare. The Dance has probably the most potential for destruction of all aside from player-generated., considering that the historical one was extremely destructive to the nobility especially and they're who we're playing as Grin
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »

In honor of the new movie, I'd be up to doing something based on the Marvel Civil War.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2016, 10:13:01 PM by leonardothered »

In honor of the new movie, I'd be up to doing something based on the Marvel Civil War.

Sadly I don't really know enough about the source material to host it, but id possibly participate

Let's also try and keep it leaned towards the same format of game
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 03:11:15 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2016, 03:14:43 AM by Garlan Gunter »

Hmm; personally I wouldn't be that pro the from-scratch-RP-y one

I like playing / writing with the established world / characters, and that means Crowned Stag (very similar to what we just tried), or with slightly more difficulty Dance or Blackfyre.

I do find pre-Aegon rather intriguing in spite of this, however! Probably just the idea of those luscious HOARES...

EDIT: tentatively voted Stag. Would likely join Dance, Aegon or Blackfyre too. Who are those mysterious icy Others I wonder!
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:19:11 AM »

Nice thread Leo - much appreciated.
I voted for Aegon's Conquest. They all seem fun, but I think this could have a nice mix of politics and stagecraft at the beginning, and then all that great military stuff later on. The Crowned Stag is a little too close to the one we just did for me to get as excited about it.
In any case, can't wait to get started again. Just one suggestion: Massively reduce the effectiveness of assassins. Far too many people were killed in that way last game and I can barely think of one major character who was murdered by a hired assassin in the actual books. Characters should die if they screw up or if the dice rolls that way.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »

Then maybe we should do Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars. I'm not big on doing another ASIOF game so soon after this one. I'll still play it, but I'd rather do a franchise we haven't done. West Wing, 24, DC movies, Godzilla, possibilities are endless, and we're about to do a 4th Ice and Fire game.
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »

Then maybe we should do Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars. I'm not big on doing another ASIOF game so soon after this one. I'll still play it, but I'd rather do a franchise we haven't done. West Wing, 24, DC movies, Godzilla, possibilities are endless, and we're about to do a 4th Ice and Fire game.

I have to disagree. I'd much prefer another ASOIAF game. Works so well with this kind of game.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »

I love the style of these games, the only reason I don't jump is because I know absolutely nothing about ASOIAF.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »

I love the style of these games, the only reason I don't jump is because I know absolutely nothing about ASOIAF.

Do you have any suggestions for another series or lore by chance? I'm open to running something other than ASOIAF but I'm just not invested into much other can come Smiley

This is another reason I wanna go with player generated, it would be easier to jump in.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »

Do you have any suggestions for another series or lore by chance? I'm open to running something other than ASOIAF but I'm just not invested into much other can come Smiley

This is another reason I wanna go with player generated, it would be easier to jump in.

Someone else suggested Star Wars, which would be pretty cool. Other than that, I think Star Trek or LOTR would also work out well.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »

Someone else suggested Star Wars, which would be pretty cool. Other than that, I think Star Trek or LOTR would also work out well.

I know a fair bit about star wars and LOTR(though I'd need to brush up on the histories), but I don't really see how a Star Wars one would work outside of individual characters that would have little power in comparison to the Lords of ASOIAF. LOTR could probably transfer over pretty nicely.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »

I know a fair bit about star wars and LOTR(though I'd need to brush up on the histories), but I don't really see how a Star Wars one would work outside of individual characters that would have little power in comparison to the Lords of ASOIAF. LOTR could probably transfer over pretty nicely.

Different factions rebelling against the Empire? We could do something from the now redacted EU, like the period after the Battle of Ender when the galaxy was ruled by various warlords and splinter groups.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »

Different factions rebelling against the Empire? We could do something from the now redacted EU, like the period after the Battle of Ender when the galaxy was ruled by various warlords and splinter groups.

I can't think of many besides rebels, empire, chiss, hutts and maybe something like hapes consortium though, and the chiss don't really interfere with the main part of the galaxies affairs. Maybe around the time of the old republic, people could play as senators and such though that may not be as fun
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 08:31:57 PM »

Not sure how many more votes we're going to get, so it seems things are narrowing down.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 05:20:24 AM »

I can't think of many besides rebels, empire, chiss, hutts and maybe something like hapes consortium though, and the chiss don't really interfere with the main part of the galaxies affairs. Maybe around the time of the old republic, people could play as senators and such though that may not be as fun

Yeah I suppose that would difficult. I think LOTR will end being our best bet.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »

Well I think it's going to be an ASOIAF game for sure; that seems to be where all the interest is at.

So do we do Aegon's Conquest or have people make their own stuff? We may very well end up with something similar since you could potentially be a dragonlord in that as well.

Want to try and get this launched before the weekend is over honestly, if possible.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »

Aegon's Conquest, I would say, it's more familiar territory. There's also room for players to explore and create details of their own, which means we could have a fascinating scenario if role playing is done right (particularly if parts of Essos are open).
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

Aegon's Conquest, I would say, it's more familiar territory. There's also room for players to explore and create details of their own, which means we could have a fascinating scenario if role playing is done right (particularly if parts of Essos are open).

Volantis would be a main player to be sure. There's three triarchs is the problem though....
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »

I think Aegon's conquest is the one. Are you playing this round Lumine?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »

Oh, you bet I am!

Willing to assist on anything should that be needed.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 11:59:58 PM »

Could you give me some tips on how you and badgate's were doing rolls then? I run d and d type games so I get the gist but in was wondering if you guys were referring to tables or anything, or using d20s or 6's for example
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies