Why trump doing well in the very educated new england region?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:27:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why trump doing well in the very educated new england region?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why trump doing well in the very educated new england region?  (Read 2130 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

CT is, I believe, in top 5 of states with most college degrees/capita and trump ethering cruz and kashic

I guess if you don't have a college degree you are republican in new england.

We aren't in WI anymore
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »

Trump cleans up among secular voters.

If anecdotal evidence means anything, my social circle is overwhelmingly secular, tilts upper-class, and is overwhelming backing Trump (with a Kasich/Sanders minority)
RR1997
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »

Even though New England has on average more college graduates than any other region, a majority still don't have college degrees. Trump does best with working-class voters in New England who aren't educated, while candidates like Kasich does best with upper-class voters with college degrees.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »

Kasich has a very hard ceiling pretty much anywhere in the country outside of Ohio, and he'll probably never pass that since it's nearly impossible for him to get the conservative's support.

That just leaves Cruz and Trump, and Cruz is downright hated in the Northeast, it's probably his worst part of the country.   
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

New England is in no way a stereotypical 'everybody graduated from Harvard or MIT', as-seen-on-TV utopia.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 07:07:26 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

Even though New England has on average more college graduates than any other region, a majority still don't have college degrees. Trump does best with working-class voters in New England who aren't educated, while candidates like Kasich does best with upper-class voters with college degrees.

Trump leads those with Bachelor's Degrees handily in the northeast and Mid-Atlantic. He struggles a bit more with postgrads, but still posts a solid percentage and is often statistically tied for first (even using the extremely conservative and inaccurate smaller MoE from the general sample).

In fact, I believe some New York polls had him doing equally well or even better with the college-educated.

From this morning's Wall Street Journal:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

And that last part is hardly accurate considering his intra-party gender gap is rarely more than 2-3% at max. It's a poorly extrapolated stereotype nationwide. College graduates in the Midwest are an issue, and that's about it. The religious weren't an issue in the South, so I'm calling out the second half of that as extremely lazy punditry.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »

New England is in no way a stereotypical 'everybody graduated from Harvard or MIT', as-seen-on-TV utopia.

Exactly.

The areas the OP is talking about actually went to Trump in MA...Cruz won all of ME...and we can't really tell much from NH because the vote was so fractured.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »

I believe Trump's appeal is much more widespread than is being reported. There are a number of new college grads that are having trouble finding good jobs, there are a number of well educated folks that are concerned about security/terrorism, there are more than a few very bright people that find themselves concerned about having a Supreme Court that tilts too far to the left, and there are a fair number of people who have concerns over our getting dragged into poorly thought out military ventures. Many who don't agree with his personality, tone, or demeanor may find themselves forced to consider Trump as a possibility in order to avoid the alternative.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:09:32 PM »

Exactly.

The areas the OP is talking about actually went to Trump in MA...Cruz won all of ME...and we can't really tell much from NH because the vote was so fractured.

Maine is not a remotely fair sample as we know they effectively made it impossible to vote. Trump is clearly the most popular with the actual populace. I don't say that as a biased statement. All indications point to that - it's obviously not something I'd say about other places he lost.

But Massachusetts showed consistency throughout the state as you said, and that should be enough.
Kempros
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »

The number of the Blue Collar workers is highly concentrated in the North East, and there also seems to be a lot of the angry dis-enfranchised voters there.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:15:12 PM »

In states with open primaries, he gets many blue collar Democrats to vote for him.

I sincerely doubt he is doing nearly as well with Republicans.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »

Trump has won the college-educated vote in several states already.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:55 AM »

Trump has won the college-educated vote in several states already.

Yes, when he wins big, he wins the college-educated vote.  But in almost every state (or maybe even every state?) he does better among those without a college degree than those with a college degree.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 02:08:37 AM »

Here is Upshot’s writeup on “the geography of Trumpism”:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/upshot/the-geography-of-trumpism.html?_r=0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They list the variables that most strongly correlate with a county voting for Trump, and the top ones are:

1) share of the population who are whites without a high school diploma
2) share of the population reporting ancestry as “American” on the census
3) share of the population living in mobile homes
4) preponderance of “old economy” jobs (agriculture, construction, manufacturing…)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:19:48 AM »

In Revere, Mass., a working-class suburb of Boston, Mr. Trump won 73 percent of the Republican primary vote. The New York Times’s model suggests he will perform strongly on Long Island when the New York primary takes place April 19 and in Ocean County, N.J., on the Jersey Shore, during voting on June 7.

Italians?
dax00

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:41 AM »

The Irish vote and the Italian vote. New Englanders are fighters.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »

Trump always cleaned up among the highly WASP towns in Western MA as well. He lost a few, but he still won.

Trump also did well in Southern Vermont, which unlikely NH's Masshole effect, such would be heavily WASP I would think. The area Trump got murdered in was around Burlington. Going further north, Trump did well in those aeas bording Canada indicating strength with Franco-Canadians.

And as for Maine, the idea that Cruz would have beat Trump in an open primary or even a closed primary, is ridiculous. Some counties only allowed two hours in the morning to vote.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 03:45:38 AM »

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say it's because (since they are smart) they are pulling a tactic out of the Claire McCaskill playbook: voting for the weakest Republican general election candidate to ensure that Hillary wins.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 04:09:55 AM »

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say it's because (since they are smart) they are pulling a tactic out of the Claire McCaskill playbook: voting for the weakest Republican general election candidate to ensure that Hillary wins.

I hope that they'd be smart enough to be careful what they wish for..
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 07:53:39 AM »

My uninformed speculation (not having lived in New England) is that Trump's rude bully schtick plays better in New England. There it can be perceived as a sort of bluff, no-fooling honesty, unlike in the Mid-West, Mountain West, or (I suspect) Pacific Coast, where he instead comes off as a reprehensible and despicable jerk.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »

My uninformed speculation (not having lived in New England) is that Trump's rude bully schtick plays better in New England. There it can be perceived as a sort of bluff, no-fooling honesty, unlike in the Mid-West, Mountain West, or (I suspect) Pacific Coast, where he instead comes off as a reprehensible and despicable jerk.

Thank you, finally someone with sense rather than another person coming in here to falsely mock the poor. The rudeness is the only reason I can vote for a Republican.
dax00

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 01:12:28 AM »

New Englanders genuinely like bombast (except maybe not so much in Vermont and Maine). At least that is what I've gleaned from my 18 years in New England.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies