Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:53:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding?
yes

no

no, and I see what you're trying to do here and it's not going to work

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 190

Author Topic: Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for a Nazi wedding?  (Read 18036 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »

enjoy
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »

I would assume, if we're talking 2016 'murica, it would be a Nazi themed wedding.  Lots of swastikas, black boots and Charlie Chaplin mustaches.  Red and black would be the colors.

Something like this would be the cake

obviously you want to adjust the names and dates to fit.

Or maybe cherry cream?

wait, was that just a set up to a joke I don't know?....Nazi wedding.....not see wet...ting?..no...What's a Nazi wedding....hmmmm.....I don't get it, tell me the punch line!  <waits patiently>
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »

I think they like to be called Forest cake of color now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 05:36:07 AM »

TBH, I think businesses should be allowed to deny service to anybody for any reason

Yeah, I'd say this, but I'd encourage private citizens to protest discrimination.

I hate both discrimination and government forcing people to do things they don't want to do, because both are disasterous to society, but I don't think we have to choose between one or the other. Bigotry will still exist if there are laws against it, and societal pressure is a more powerful tool for shaping cultural attitudes towards things than government action ever will be.

I'm just opposed to the idea that government needs to actively punish something simply because it's "wrong," unless it's an objective crime (e.g. assault or theft--as terrible as bigotry is I don't think it counts) and I stay consistent with that admittedly "radical" conception of government. (Because I think it's correct.)

Then again...I sort of enjoy seeing people who, for so long, argued that something (marraige equality) shouldn't be allowed simply because their "morality" says it's wrong complain about getting punished because secular/objective morality says their behavior is wrong. "Shadenfreude" is the term.
I very much agree with all this.  I think the benefit a lot of the kneejerk "no, and I see what you're..." voters don't understand.  If Bob's House of Wedding Cakes is a bigot and hates gay people, wouldn't you rather know that and NOT buy a cake from Bob's?  Steve's Emporium of Festive Cakes is right down the street with rainbow flags all over the store and 3 Miatas out front.  Why force money into the bigot's pocket just to prove a point?

Now if you're the only store within 500 miles that sells wedding cakes, yeah, perhaps it's in its all our interests to compel that store to make gay wedding cakes, but is that actually a thing?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »

Same place my hams and clocks come from.

(I don't actually have any cuckoo clocks, but I will inherit one)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies