Is opposing interracial marriage racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:19:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is opposing interracial marriage racist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is opposing interracial marriage racist?  (Read 2799 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
« edited: April 01, 2016, 09:22:26 AM by Intell »

While I believe that many, who oppose interracial marriage is racist, that opposing interracial marriage is not racist. My parents oppose interracial marriage, as is the case with my relatives, and many within different immigrant communities. To be fair, I would also prefer my child (when I have one to marry someone, of Hindu, Nepalese/Indian ethnicity, though wouldn't stop my child from marrying.) I also oppose interracial marriage to an extent, though am mixed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »

If YOU don't want to marry someone of another race, no that's not racist.  If you don't want other people (family or strangers) to marry then yes, it's racist.  I don't see how it can't be.  I would be sort of ok with a "I'd prefer my kid to marry someone of their own background, but they are their own person and I will accept whomever they love into our family", but even that probably shouldn't be said out loud in front of your children.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »

Yes, it is racist, but if it's a dying ethnicity or ethno-religion, I give those who oppose exogamy more of a pass.

If you personally don't want to marry someone of a different race, that's fine (though at least open your mind to the possibility), but opposing others having interracial marriage is problematic.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »

If YOU don't want to marry someone of another race, no that's not racist.  If you don't want other people (family or strangers) to marry then yes, it's racist.  I don't see how it can't be.  I would be sort of ok with a "I'd prefer my kid to marry someone of their own background, but they are their own person and I will accept whomever they love into our family", but even that probably shouldn't be said out loud in front of your children.

This, pretty much.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »

Yes, through and through.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »

this
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »

This, pretty much.

Gotta agree with dead0 here.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »

This, pretty much.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »

This, pretty much.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »

Yep, I agree with the empty quote pyramid.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »

Of course! Been at the receiving end of this. Dated a black girl freshman year of college. Got all sorts of heck for it to boot. Course this is Louisiana, so it comes with the territory.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »

Of course! Been at the receiving end of this. Dated a black girl freshman year of college. Got all sorts of heck for it to boot. Course this is Louisiana, so it comes with the territory.
In defense of Louisiana, you'd probably have the same problem in New York or West Palm Beach. This country still has a ways to go in that department.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »

This, pretty much.

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »

In defense of Louisiana, you'd probably have the same problem in New York or West Palm Beach. This country still has a ways to go in that department.

Oh I believe it. There was a girl I fancied in my German class who was black, and we had a handful of dates before we got spooked and decided it'd be too much hassle. I feel like that sort of discouragement where you quit before you even begin just doesn't exist north of the Mason-Dixon. It's a cryin' shame too, I've always had a weakness for brown eyes.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »

I also oppose interracial marriage to an extent, though am mixed.

Why?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 08:18:39 PM »

You personally? Perfectly normal for those who are mixed, especially young people. I assume many of those who agree with dead0 may feel the same way, as they seem mostly young. Mixed race people often feel out of place, and they usually identify with one race more than another. That race is their preferred marriage race, and so it's not really unusual in my opinion.

RL experience-> analysis here, so it may be "analogous evidence", but sometimes analogous evidence helps encourage our intuitional thinking.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 02:14:33 PM »

This, pretty much.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »

90% of social issues boil down to "It's not a problem if you oppose it personally, it is a problem if you oppose letting other people do it"
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 03:42:44 PM »

I wonder the reasons somebody would oppose interracial marriage in 2016.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »

Yes; people who love each other should be able to marry.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »

Honestly, even personally not wanting to marry someone of a different race is pretty racist.

I mean, I'm a hipster. I want to marry someone who has similar interests. More likely than not, that's going to end up being a White person. If I met an Asian/Hispanic/Black/Native person with similar interests though, I wouldn't give it a second though. Marrying someone based on their personality and interests isn't racist, it's just common sense, but if you base it on skin color, that's like the definition of racism.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 04:30:29 PM »

Sexual attraction is important in a marriage, some people ain't attracted to white people.  Not wanting to marry a white person isn't racist.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »

Sexual attraction is important in a marriage, some people ain't attracted to white people.  Not wanting to marry a white person isn't racist.

Exactly my thoughts.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »

Exactly my thoughts.

Yeah, you can't exactly control what you are sexually attracted, so I'm not going to hold attraction to a certain race against somebody.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »

There's a difference between not wanting to marry someone just because they're black (or white, or Asian, or whatever "race") and not wanting to marry someone of a different ethnicity because you want to preserve your culture and your heritage, and someone of a differemt background would simply not be able to relate things that are extremely important to yo. The first case can be racist (but if it's just about attraction and not rationalized on the basis of race, then it is not, obviously), the second is definitely not.

This.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies