Batman Versus Superman: Dawn of Justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:42:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Batman Versus Superman: Dawn of Justice
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Batman Versus Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 1681 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:34:33 AM »

This is the thread about the new movie featuring Batman and Superman, plus Wonder Woman.

I think the movie had a little too many subplots.

Did anyone else catch the cameos by Patrick Leahy and Debbie Stabenow?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »

What a letdown.

It's not terrible, in fact there's a lot of good in it. But the things that are bad are just unacceptable.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »

What a letdown.

It's not terrible, in fact there's a lot of good in it. But the things that are bad are just unacceptable.

That's actually pretty good, given that Zack Snyder directed it Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

I generally enjoyed it. There were some really great elements to it (I really appreciated the opening Metropolis scene), but also some pretty poor parts (just like most recent Marvel movies, it shoehorned in too many ties to future films). I loved Man of Steel, which I'd give a 8.5/10 or so, and I'd give this one maybe a 7/10, maybe 6.5/10 at worst.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »

Vox is really ravaging this movie. Apparently it's non-SJW.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »

Definitely not SJW, no.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »

Did anyone else catch the cameos by Patrick Leahy and Debbie Stabenow?

I love all of Leahy's Batman cameos. I'm glad Debbie got in on it as well!
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »

It was great. The Knightmare scene and Justice League cameos (except Wonder Woman) should've been cut out, but overall it was fantastic. Definitely better than Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2, and the Thor movies at least.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »

Better than Batman & Robin, but not better than any of the MCU film other than maybe Thor 2. It was just so confusing and sloppily done. Thank God Civil War comes out soon!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »

It''s funny because on RT, critics gave it like 29% and all the regular joes who went to see it rated it on average 73%, out of 169,000+ audience votes. That's a massive divide.

In this instance, I'll go with the audience rating. Critics can be quite snobbish.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »

It was great. The Knightmare scene and Justice League cameos (except Wonder Woman) should've been cut out, but overall it was fantastic. Definitely better than Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2, and the Thor movies at least.

I'll give it that, it's certainly far more ambitious in scope and theme than almost anything in the MCU. I respect what DC is trying to do a lot more than what Marvel is doing, which has a fundamental shallowness to it.

The problem is, they're failing at it, and one of the main reasons is that their writers just don't get what these characters are supposed to be. Batman was not Batman, Luthor was not Luthor, Superman was barely Superman, and Wonder Woman was just a glimpse of what she should be (I'll reserve my judgment until her own movie comes out, though). It's a terrible, terrible missed opportunity, and it's all the more frustrating because I'm a DC fan and I'm rooting for them against Marvel.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »

Well I've seen it, Affleck is officially the best Batman/Bruce Wayne  [topping West's Bruce and Kilmer's Batman for second] since Michael Keaton, and well on his way to topping him (will have to see more of him before I know for sure). For all the bad roles Affleck had and for all his fears of screwing it up, he actually was the best part of the movie.

Iron's is a solid Alfred and thus a great support.

Also it was excellent to see Wonder Woman and it was a great performance, but she needed to be there more

The action and visuals were absolutely fantastic too.

Also I didn't mind Eisenberg's Zuckerberg/JimCarrey hybrid version of Lex Luthor.

But the rest of it was just a bunch a clunky underdeveloped stories that would've been better as separate movies than mashed into one and the rather humorless overall tone of it was awful, like everything I dislike about The Dark Knight Trilogycranked up to eleven.

It's better than Schumacher's Batman films or Superman III, but only because it set up for better things...it's still pretty bad.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »

Well I've seen it, Affleck is officially the best Batman/Bruce Wayne  [topping West's Bruce and Kilmer's Batman for second] since Michael Keaton, and well on his way to topping him (will have to see more of him before I know for sure). For all the bad roles Affleck had and for all his fears of screwing it up, he actually was the best part of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BE_jw4e9uA

Affleck's acting was good, yes, but he wasn't playing Batman.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »

I'll give it that, it's certainly far more ambitious in scope and theme than almost anything in the MCU. I respect what DC is trying to do a lot more than what Marvel is doing, which has a fundamental shallowness to it.

The problem is, they're failing at it, and one of the main reasons is that their writers just don't get what these characters are supposed to be. Batman was not Batman, Luthor was not Luthor, Superman was barely Superman, and Wonder Woman was just a glimpse of what she should be (I'll reserve my judgment until her own movie comes out, though). It's a terrible, terrible missed opportunity, and it's all the more frustrating because I'm a DC fan and I'm rooting for them against Marvel.
Well, I'll concede that they didn't develop Superman very much, but Batman was Frank Miller's Batman (now whether you consider that Batman or not is a different story) and I enjoyed their new and original take on Lex Luthor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »

I saw it the day before release.

Every movie I watch I think is the best movie I've ever watched.... Usually. This was okay. The other superhero videos were confusing, because I thought they were all Wonder Woman until we discussed the movie in the car.

Lex Luthor's Summary:
The god(Superman) and devil die, the angel mourns, and man lives on.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 09:28:55 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2016, 09:30:52 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

(now whether you consider that Batman or not is a different story)

I don't. Crazy Steve is not Batman.

I didn't mind Luthor's character per se, and I definitely think this kind of villain can work in the right context, but I would have much preferred to see the coolheaded, slick manipulative businessman.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 05:29:50 AM »

Well, I'll concede that they didn't develop Superman very much, but Batman was Frank Miller's Batman (now whether you consider that Batman or not is a different story) and I enjoyed their new and original take on Lex Luthor.

Frankly it didn't even seem that out of sync with the Kevin Conroy Batman from Batman Beyond.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 02:09:57 AM »

I feel like it is one of the greatest DC films that got buried underneath a ton of scenes that should have been cut that left it more confusing and sloppy than necessary. However Batfleck is now my favorite Batman to date.

The movie should have been named BVS: Dawn of Darkseid
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »

I'm a DC/Batman guy at heart so hurts me to say it but this was a trash film. Total trash.

It wasn't the fault of any of the actors either, they were basically all fine (and in some cases quite good). The blame belongs squarely at the feet of the director and writers here.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »

Just got back from seeing it. It was alright, certainly not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The music was dull and the very last bit of the ending was a bit of a copout, though.

Really don't know what Eisenberg was doing, though. I liked his performance, but it just didn't seem very Lex Luthor to me.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »

I loved it, Affleck and Eisenberg were amazing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies