Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:27:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Sanders campaign attacks Clinton for hosting fundraiser with Clooney  (Read 2381 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 10:11:16 PM »

I guess back in 2008 when Geffen, Katzenberg and Spielberg held these kind of fundraisers for Obama, jfern was equally vehement in denouncing them as immoral.
Wasn't he?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »

I guess back in 2008 when Geffen, Katzenberg and Spielberg held these kind of fundraisers for Obama, jfern was equally vehement in denouncing them as immoral.
Wasn't he?

Did they ever raise $335k a ticket? I don't think so.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:37 PM »

Wasn't he?

Well, these guys did not have Donald Trump back then: the Republican they, actually, like.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »

Wasn't he?

Well, they did not have Donald Trump back then: the Republican they, actually, like.

Where did I say I like Trump? This has nothing to do with him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

This money laundering wasn't even possible before the 2014 Supreme Court ruling gutting the $75k maximum on money you can give to all political parties and candidates in a year.  There were no $335k tickets in the past for that simple reason.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »

Wasn't he?

Are you trying to imitate Rubio? Can you utter any other coherent proposition besides that idiotic talking point?
If not go away and stop wasting our time with your tomfoolery.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »

Wasn't he?

Are you trying to imitate Rubio? Can you utter any other coherent proposition besides that idiotic talking point?

Speak for yourself. I gave a specific reason why the tickets were no more than $75k in the past.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »

Wasn't he?

Source for $30k a ticket for a 250-300 person dinner:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-hollywood-fundraiser-nets-9m/

Source for $46k/ticket 300-person dinner:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/20/AR2007022001998.html

Source for a $50k/ticket dinner with Oprah:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2007/07/oprah-to-host-o.html

There were tons of these, I know there were smaller and more expensive ones but there are so many stories from 2007-08 that it's hard to find the signal in the noise.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »

Wasn't he?

Speak for yourself. I gave a specific reason why the tickets were no more than $75k in the past.

Obama got around this trick by saying "if you can prove you raised more than $x..." so you donate your money and then get your friends and family to donate their money, and if it's more than 50,000 you get a ticket.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »

Wasn't he?

Somewhat less. But still tens of thousands per plate - this is the norm. Obama once had 6 fundraisers in a single day. The cheapest one was $2,500 per plate, the most expensive - $50,000, and there were also events at $5,000, $35,800 and $40,000 per plate (cannot seem to find the numbers for the 6th). All in one day's work. $30,000  to $50,000 per plate seems to be pretty common for him. You never seemed to have bothered before.

These are just a few of the first links coming up on google. Enjoy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2012/05/10/as-george-clooney-throws-obama-a-40000-a-plate-party-meet-the-billionaires-opening-their-wallets/#5ddce03c4630

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/219582-reporters-kept-out-as-obama-attends-50k-per-plate-fundraiser

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/president-obama-hosts-6-fundraisers-friday-on-minneapolis-chicago-visit/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/obama-set-for-35000-per-person-dinner-at-movie-mogul-weinsteins-conn-home/

http://thepricehike.com/post/6830596298/why-obamas-36000-dinner-is-cheap

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/11/some-republicans-charge-obamas-california-fundraising-is-over-the-top/
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »

This money laundering wasn't even possible before the 2014 Supreme Court ruling gutting the $75k maximum on money you can give to all political parties and candidates in a year.  There were no $335k tickets in the past for that simple reason.

And you know what I would do if I were a candidate? I'd accept any donation, even of 1 million, and use the money to win the election.
And after I won I'd appoint a justice on SCOTUS who would overturn Citizens United.

But the far-left nutjobs like you prefer ideological purity rather than play by the rules and win.
In reality you and your ilk are not at all different than the right-wing nutjobs who voted for Sharon Angle, Christine O'Donnell and Richard Mourdock, and cost their party a senate majority. Birds of a feather...  
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »

Wasn't he?

Anything magic about 75 grand? Money flows into politics. In 10 years it will a million or two per plate, and people will remember the 350 grand per plate as something cheap.

Then again, what can one expect from a guy who claims that Hillary Clinton "supported" Honduran coup, while knowing full well that this is pretty much exactly the opposite of what happened. Baseless Slander is your middle name, I guess.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »

So raising money for the national and state parties is now somehow corruption?

Would a Sanders supporter who is outraged about this explain just how these entities should otherwise reinforce down-ballot races and field candidates for offices besides President? It certainly won't happen via most of the angsty, pissy factions of the Left that can't organize themselves out of a paper bag and have such a pathetically-narrow focus on and obsession over one race.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »

Would a Sanders supporter who is outraged about this explain just how these entities should otherwise reinforce down-ballot races and field candidates for offices besides President?

They do not care about those - or about the Democratic party in general. There is a reason Sanders had never been a Dem in his life. And Vermont Progressives, I guess, are low maintenance.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 10:37:21 PM »

Wasn't he?

Anything magic about 75 grand? Money flows into politics. In 10 years it will a million or two per plate, and people will remember the 350 grand per plate as something cheap.

Then again, what can one expect from a guy who claims that Hillary Clinton "supported" Honduran coup, while knowing full well that this is pretty much exactly the opposite of what happened. Baseless Slander is your middle name, I guess.

There was a limit of $75,000 that you could give to parties and candidates a year until the Supreme Court struck that down in 2014.

Of course Hillary was involved in the Hillary coup.
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/11/before_her_assassination_berta_caceres_singled

Would a Sanders supporter who is outraged about this explain just how these entities should otherwise reinforce down-ballot races and field candidates for offices besides President? It certainly won't happen via most of the angsty, pissy factions of the Left that can't organize themselves out of a paper bag and have such a pathetically-narrow focus on and obsession over one race.

They gave the money to the DNC, it was just a way to get around direct contribution limits. This wasn't helping down ticket races.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 10:38:56 PM »

Wasn't he?

There was a limit of $75,000 that you could give to parties and candidates a year until the Supreme Court struck that down in 2014.

Of course Hillary was involved in the Hillary coup.
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/11/before_her_assassination_berta_caceres_singled

They gave the money to the DNC, it was just a way to get around direct contribution limits. This wasn't helping down ticket races.

You're an idiot.
End of discussion.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »

Wasn't he?

Somewhat less. But still tens of thousands per plate - this is the norm. Obama once had 6 fundraisers in a single day. The cheapest one was $2,500 per plate, the most expensive - $50,000, and there were also events at $5,000, $35,800 and $40,000 per plate (cannot seem to find the numbers for the 6th). All in one day's work. $30,000  to $50,000 per plate seems to be pretty common for him. You never seemed to have bothered before.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2012/05/10/as-george-clooney-throws-obama-a-40000-a-plate-party-meet-the-billionaires-opening-their-wallets/#5ddce03c4630

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/219582-reporters-kept-out-as-obama-attends-50k-per-plate-fundraiser

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/president-obama-hosts-6-fundraisers-friday-on-minneapolis-chicago-visit/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/obama-set-for-35000-per-person-dinner-at-movie-mogul-weinsteins-conn-home/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/11/some-republicans-charge-obamas-california-fundraising-is-over-the-top/

Of course nothing was above $75k before the 2014 SCOTUS ruling. You can give $36k to a candidate and the DNC.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »

Stop projecting.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »

Care to explain where you believe all the rest of the $353k that doesn't end up in the DNC's coffers is going?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »

A tragic death does not make every statement by the victim truth.

Anyway, from now on I shall always claim that you are a Chinese prison guard, personally involved in torturing dissidents. And I have more reasons to claim that then you have to blame Hillary Clinton for the Honduran coup: I merely invented my accusation based on no evidence about you whatsoever, whereas you are continuing to peddle a shameless lie despite ample public evidence - perfectly familiar to you - that it is a lie.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »

He is wrong. You are not an idiot. You are a shameless slanderer in voluntary service of Donald Trump.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »

Anyway, from now on I shall always claim that you are a Chinese prison guard, personally involved in torturing dissidents. And I have more reasons to claim that then you have to blame Hillary Clinton for the Honduran coup: I merely invented my accusation based on no evidence about you whatsoever, whereas you are continuing to peddle a shameless lie despite ample public evidence - perfectly familiar to you - that it is a lie.

Be careful for I think that jfern might take this as a compliment. He is after all supporting a candidate who was(?) a sympathizer of the Castro regime.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »

Care to explain where you believe all the rest of the $353k that doesn't end up in the DNC's coffers is going?

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/01/07/politics/clinton-donors-use-maine-democrats-to-skirt-campaign-cash-limits/
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »

Wasn't he?

Of course nothing was above $75k before the 2014 SCOTUS ruling. You can give $36k to a candidate and the DNC.

Well, that is the law of the land now - so people operate under the laws in force. You cannot unilaterally disarm, unless all you want is to lose. In terms of actual "corruption" there is exactly zero difference between 75 grand and 1 mln. And you perfectly well know it, but choose to deliberately slander an honest person for the explicit purpose of electing Donald Trump.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »

Huh? It's the truth that Hillary sided with the coup.

He is wrong. You are not an idiot. You are a shameless slanderer in voluntary service of Donald Trump.

I'm not a Trump supporter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies