Describe Trump's Ideology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:33:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Describe Trump's Ideology
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Describe Trump's Ideology  (Read 4548 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »

Trump is a generic left-wing liberal on social, foreign, and especially economics who just happens to be right-wing on one issue (immigration). He's a racist left-wing liberal. That's why he was a Democrat during the Bush years, but immediately switched to the GOP once the black man won the presidency.

How would you guys describe Trump's political ideology? I would love to know.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:33 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2016, 09:14:21 PM by RR1997 »

I'm kidding obviously.

I do think that immigration is the only issue that matters to Trump. I think he's running a single-issue campaign. He is very economically left-wing for a Republican (he supports universal health care, raising capital gains tax, closing tax evasion loopholes, staunchly protectionist, etc). He is also obviously lying about his positions on social issues like gay marriage and abortion (I think he secretly supports both). I think that calling him an anti-immigration liberal is somewhat accurate. He seems to be liberal on a lot of issues and is primarily campaigning on immigration to appeal to the GOP base. Maybe calling him a "centrist whose main focus is immigration" is a better description.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »

He's a fascist, plain and simple.
Yan
anteloperyan
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »

Right-wing populist
National conservative
Globoscepticism
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »

Method acting?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »

A strong defensive nationalist.

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »

Also this. When his campaign responded to the sexism ad with "but he was in character!" it just made me think "is he ever not?"
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »

National Conservatism, a mainstream centre-right ideology that has existed in Western Europe since the 1950s. Naturally, Americans started hysterically kvetching about it when it came to their shores.

I'm kidding obviously.

I do think that immigration is the only issue that matters to Trump. I think he's running a single-issue campaign. He is very economically left-wing for a Republican (he supports universal health care, raising capital gains tax, closing tax evasion loopholes, staunchly protectionist, etc). He is also obviously lying about his positions on social issues like gay marriage and abortion (I think he secretly supports both). I think that calling him an anti-immigration liberal is somewhat accurate. He seems to be liberal on a lot of issues and is primarily campaigning on immigration to appeal to the GOP base. Maybe calling him a "centrist whose main focus is immigration" is a better description.

Have you bothered to read the policy papers that he's released? His tax plan is more conservative than Ronald Reagan's Tax Reform Act of '86. His healthcare reform paper makes George W. Bush look like Leon Trotsky.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »

Trump. Period.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 09:24:38 PM »

HE IS A LITERAL FASCIST WHO WOULD RUIN THIS COUNTRY!!!!!! $$$$! $$$! $$!!!!!!
trickmind
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »

"Trump is great, therefore he should be President."

That's basically it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »

National Conservatism, a mainstream centre-right ideology that has existed in Western Europe since the 1950s. Naturally, Americans started hysterically kvetching about it when it came to their shores.

I'm kidding obviously.

Have you bothered to read the policy papers that he's released? His tax plan is more conservative than Ronald Reagan's Tax Reform Act of '86. His healthcare reform paper makes George W. Bush look like Leon Trotsky.

I'd be willing to bet Trump hasn't read the policy papers he's released.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »

I'm kidding obviously.

He claimed in 2015 that he sides with the Democrats on healthcare. He claimed last year that he supports universal healthcare.

He keeps on criticizing large corporation for keeping their money in offshore bank accounts. Trump keeps on talking about how we should end corporate tax havens. He keeps on talking about how large companies avoid trillions in taxes and how we should end this. Trump agrees with Sanders on this issue. Trump is pretty liberal on corporate tax havens.

He also said that the "hedge fund guys are getting away with murder." He wants to close the carried-interest loophole that allows Wall Street to pay lower tax rate than the rest of us and wants to raise the capital gains tax.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »

I'm kidding obviously.

He claimed in 2015 that he sides with the Democrats on healthcare. He claimed last year that he supports universal healthcare.

He keeps on criticizing large corporation for keeping their money in offshore bank accounts. Trump keeps on talking about how we should end corporate tax havens. He keeps on talking about how large companies avoid trillions in taxes and how we should end this. Trump agrees with Sanders on this issue. Trump is pretty liberal on corporate tax havens.

He also said that the "hedge fund guys are getting away with murder." He wants to close the carried-interest loophole that allows Wall Street to pay lower tax rate than the rest of us and wants to raise the capital gains tax.

And? These are non-ideological statements.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »

Greatness. And America.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 10:02:08 PM »

Trumpism - somewhere between Populism and Conservatism
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 10:17:56 PM »

I'm kidding obviously.

And? These are non-ideological statements.

If a Democrat were saying this, the opposition's reaction would be something around the lines of: "KILLING THE ECONOMY/BUSINESSES! COMMUNISM!", but since Trump said it, it's non-ideological. O K
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2016, 10:56:07 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Trump:

Believes women are bimbos, dogs, and fat pigs

Believes men have no part in raising their children aside from financial support

Believes Mexican men are rapists

Believes it is OK to ridicule and to make fun of the disabled and handicapped

Believes immigrants are going to murder you in your sleep

Believes all Muslims are evil

Believes it is fine to belong to the KKK

Believes it is OK to bomb babies and toddlers

win win
dxu8888

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 10:32:08 PM »

trump is a centrist
slightly right of center on economics
and slightly authoritarian on social
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »

Populist. 
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:37:35 PM »

Right-wing populist.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 10:39:50 PM »

Amassing power, regardless what positions it means taking.

Oh, also having people say nice things about him.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 11:04:23 PM »

He has none.  Unless you are referring to his movement (as opposed to the person), in which case right-wing populism would definitely fit the bill. 
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 11:09:13 PM »

Believes it is OK to bomb babies and toddlers

Can't believe you forgot about the old people and the puppies!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies