Revoke a pardon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:44:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Revoke a pardon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Revoke a pardon?  (Read 1061 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »

Is it possible to revoke a presidential or gubernatorial pardon?

If so, how long? Could Obama for example undo Nixon's pardon? Or could Jimmy Carter have done so?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »

No. The only way a pardon can be "undone" is rejection by a subject of said pardon, although it happened only once under the Jackson's presidency.

Once a federal pardon is granted, no authority can revoke it, including subsequent Presidents. It's a final and exclusive power vested in the presidency. I'm not sure if it's always a case on the state level, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If it was however, I could imagine Bush, the Congress or the courts revoking certain last-minute pardons issued by Clinton.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »

Regarding a non-federal level, certain states does not allow governor of grant pardons and commutations at all, with Georgia being a prime example. Others limit these powers to capital cases, like Alabama (the only thing the Governor can do is to commute a death sentence to life in prison). In Texas, the only way the Governor can commute a death sentence is if recommended by the board.

There is limitations on president, except for impeachment cases.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies