Mark Warner, the Democratic contender
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:58:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Mark Warner, the Democratic contender
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Mark Warner, the Democratic contender  (Read 6270 times)
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2005, 06:02:44 PM »

If that Warner speech from May 2003 was better than Kerry's nomination acceptance last year.
I sure hope it was Smiley
skybridge
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »

On a charisma scale 1-10, he's a 3. Yeah, it could be worse, but still not too good.

I would rate him about a 5, with Allen about a 4.

Warner will need to work on his public speaking before he runs for president. He's much more emotive and charismatic than John Kerry, but that's not saying much.

Although John Kerry was an uncharismatic bore--based on this criteria--Warner would lose to a roll of scotch tape.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2005, 11:51:30 PM »

Warner is unlikely to get the nomination. The primary voters are the true believers- the dogmatic, intolerant far left. They may be small in numbers- perhaps 5-10 percent of the Democratic Party- but they wield disproportionate influence due to groups like MoveOn. The Michael Moore lovers are going to hate Warner.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2005, 12:08:56 PM »

Warner is unlikely to get the nomination. The primary voters are the true believers- the dogmatic, intolerant far left. They may be small in numbers- perhaps 5-10 percent of the Democratic Party- but they wield disproportionate influence due to groups like MoveOn. The Michael Moore lovers are going to hate Warner.
Yep Sad
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »

Sadly, I'm sure they will Bob. There is a great need to engage moderate Democrats in the primary process

Indeed, moderate Democrats may still possibly be the largest single ideological plurality in the electorate. They were in 1992 - but I think it's highly probable that conservative Republicans have the edge today

I still think moderate Democrats outnumber their liberal counterparts

Dave
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »

I think the Democrats should arrange the primaries such that:
(1)  Iowa switches from caucuses to primaries.
(2)  New Hampshire is held AFTER South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Lousiana, and West Virginia.
(3)  No more front loading.  Perhaps three to four primaries every Tuesday, even the first week.
It's not going to happen though.  Some loony state, like Vermont or Massachusetts, might even be moved up.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »

It's not going to happen though.  Some loony state, like Vermont or Massachusetts, might even be moved up.

You shouldn't call states "loony" when you've never even been there. Vermont and Massachusetts are quite normal, actually, although Massachusetts has horrible traffic.

I'm sure many people think South Carolina is loony.
Cashcow

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2005, 03:04:20 PM »

I can't believe someone from SC just called Vermont "loony."
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »

yes...SC's a little loony w/ DeMint and Sanford
but they've got Dean...but at least we didn't vote for Kerry or Dean in the last primaries Smiley
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2005, 04:51:06 PM »

Actually I'm from NC...just to set the record straight (and I may move back if I go to grad. school there or VA).
Cashcow

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2005, 05:29:48 PM »

yes...SC's a little loony w/ DeMint and Sanford
but they've got Dean...but at least we didn't vote for Kerry or Dean in the last primaries Smiley

I didn't mean that, I just meant that South Carolina has done a few, erm.... unusual things in the past. Wink It's still a nice place but you shouldn't make fun of Vermont. It's certainly not "loony."
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

It's still a nice place but you shouldn't make fun of Vermont. It's certainly not "loony."

Neither is Massachusetts. Come up for a visit and see if you still think it's "loony".
Cashcow

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2005, 05:35:10 PM »

It's still a nice place but you shouldn't make fun of Vermont. It's certainly not "loony."

Neither is Massachusetts. Come up for a visit and see if you still think it's "loony".

Uh, what? I never said it was loony. I had a house in Massachusetts. Squinting
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »

Uh, what? I never said it was loony. I had a house in Massachusetts. Squinting

I was talking to Krusty, not you!
Cashcow

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2005, 05:45:24 PM »

You quoted me! Tongue

OK, nevermind.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »

Still too cold!  Though we finally got above 90degrees today!
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2005, 12:13:20 AM »

You shouldn't call states "loony" when you've never even been there. Vermont and Massachusetts are quite normal, actually, although Massachusetts has horrible traffic.

I'm sure many people think South Carolina is loony.

Both Vermont and Mass are very nice places.  Too cold for me personally but very nice in the summer and fall.  Yeah, traffic in Boston sucks Smiley.  New Hampshire is also nice despite the presence of Scoonie Tongue J/K
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »

Both Vermont and Mass are very nice places.  Too cold for me personally but very nice in the summer and fall.  Yeah, traffic in Boston sucks Smiley.  New Hampshire is also nice despite the presence of Scoonie Tongue J/K

New England is a great place. Good economy, educated workforce, tolerant people. We have skiiing in the winter and beaches in the summer. People who criticize it have usually never been here.

Also Boston is a great sports town! We have the Red Sox and the Patriots, both world champs.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2005, 11:03:10 AM »

New England is a great place. Good economy, educated workforce, tolerant people. We have skiiing in the winter and beaches in the summer. People who criticize it have usually never been here.

Also Boston is a great sports town! We have the Red Sox and the Patriots, both world champs.

Yes, but from all my travelling . . . nothing beats . . . . . . . Hawai'i!  (What, did you actually think I was going to say Virginia?)  hehehe

Of course, Guam was great too, but it's a bit too secluded for my taste these days.  Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2005, 04:10:08 AM »

How does Schweitzer as a running mate sound?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2005, 07:55:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure Schweitzer will run for a second term as governor in 2008, but I may be wrong. But I think he would be a good running mate if available.

I also think Wesley Clark or Evan Bayh could be good running mates for Warner.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure Schweitzer will run for a second term as governor in 2008, but I may be wrong. But I think he would be a good running mate if available.

I also think Wesley Clark or Evan Bayh could be good running mates for Warner.

Both Schweitzer and Clark have sky high support amoung the base. Clark has more support though.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2005, 04:37:13 PM »

To be blunt (and probably ignorant) Clark scares me.  He reminds me of L.T. Smash on "The Simpsons" who solicits Ralph, Bart, Nelson, and Milhous to start a boy band so they can recruit people for the Navy with subliminal (liminal, and supraliminal) messages.  I'm sure it sounds stupid to a lot of people, but he strikes me as someone whose slacks can become parachute pants at any second Smiley
"YVAN EHT NIOJ"
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2005, 10:27:34 PM »

P2008: Term-limited Virginia Governor Mark Warner (D) told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that he "wouldn't take formal steps to begin a Presidential bid until after he leaves office" next January. Most importantly, the newspaper reported Warner does not plan to challenge US Senator George Allen (R) next year. Instead, Warner said he is very interested in a White House run -- but may ultimately decide to run again for Governor in 2009. While Warner last week filed paperwork to create a federal PAC, he said he does not plan to launch a Presidential exploratory committee until after he leaves office in seven months.
skybridge
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2005, 10:49:53 PM »

I think the Democrats should arrange the primaries such that:
(1)  Iowa switches from caucuses to primaries.
(2)  New Hampshire is held AFTER South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Lousiana, and West Virginia.
(3)  No more front loading.  Perhaps three to four primaries every Tuesday, even the first week.

Someone sure doesn't like the Northeast.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies