IL-WeAskAmerica: Clinton+37, Trump+13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:03:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  IL-WeAskAmerica: Clinton+37, Trump+13
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IL-WeAskAmerica: Clinton+37, Trump+13  (Read 2219 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »

994 likely DEM voters, March 7-8:

62% Clinton
25% Sanders

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Bi-iePG1O6bmx0c2hGNWFDRjQ/view?pref=2&pli=1

1009 likely GOP voters, March 7-8:

33% Trump
20% Cruz
18% Kasich
11% Rubio

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Bi-iePG1O6SEFOZXp0ZFFsYWs/view?pref=2&pli=1
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »

Wow, Kasich could actually come in second. Would love it.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:09:26 PM »

Wow, Kasich could actually come in second. Would love it.
Second for Kasich in IL would not do very much, most likely.

It's direct election of delegates for the CD delegates (3 per the 18) with the remainder WTA for the state.

Cruz would likely fare better under this scheme, even if he finishes a close third, with the more conservative districts in rural IL.

The only place Kasich may beat Trump is in Crook County and the near burbs, assuming he basically takes the former GOPe Rubio vote.  Keep in mind, however, that Trump did well in Detroit -- a basis of comparison for a midwest urban center.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »

Would love to believe it, but WAA = trash.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »

Either Michigan is a weird Bernie shangra-la, or polling is about to be deemed useless.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »

Either Michigan is a weird Bernie shangra-la, or polling is about to be deemed useless.

I'd consider IL to be Hillary's home turf, if not her home state. So nothing really shocks me about her alleged big lead.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »

I can't believe these numbers on the Democratic side after what happened in MI. This is ridiculous. Simply put, Sander's shouldn't be doing this bad. At worst, this should be a 10-point race and that's where I believe this is right now. I think the pollsters are seriously underestimating youth turnout like they did in MI.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »

I can tell you that the Sanders folks are working it here in IL. Yesterday they called my son who took a Pub ballot in the 2014 primary, which was his first. Hillary is relying on endorsements and the Cook/Chicago machine.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 03:26:05 PM »

You can't dismiss every poll because of what happened in Michigan. The Cook County suburbs are much wealthier than the Detroit suburbs and they aren't going to vote for someone who wants to raise taxes through the roof. It's an entirely different ballgame in Illinois.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »

I can tell you that the Sanders folks are working it here in IL. Yesterday they called my son who took a Pub ballot in the 2014 primary, which was his first. Hillary is relying on endorsements and the Cook/Chicago machine.

Good! Cheesy

Hope it works out for 'em.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »

I can't believe these numbers on the Democratic side after what happened in MI. This is ridiculous. Simply put, Sander's shouldn't be doing this bad. At worst, this should be a 10-point race and that's where I believe this is right now. I think the pollsters are seriously underestimating youth turnout like they did in MI.

The likely voter screen is always some absurd crap like "Have you voted in the last 9 Democratic primaries AND donated at least $1000 lifetime to the Democratic Party AND have had a hot dog with FDR at least once".  
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »

I don't think the pollsters are picking up on youth turnout. I think a lot of youth voters realize their guy is not doing well and they are beginning to turnout for him. But listen, if Clinton is winning by this margin in IL and FL, who cares if she loses OH and MO, she'll end March 15 with a 300 delegate lead and the race will be over imo. But this just does not make sense to me.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »

Good! Cheesy

From what I've heard they are claiming fraud in advance of the primary because Clinton was endorsed by the Cook County Democratic Party and included Clinton's name on the their slate, but not Sanders.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »

Good! Cheesy

From what I've heard they are claiming fraud in advance of the primary because Clinton was endorsed by the Cook County Democratic Party and included Clinton's name on the their slate, but not Sanders.

I think they are and on another thread I provided links to the Cook county Dem handout. Not only does it not list Bernie, but it lists nobody for US Senate.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2016, 03:36:54 PM by RJEvans »

You can't dismiss every poll because of what happened in Michigan. The Cook County suburbs are much wealthier than the Detroit suburbs and they aren't going to vote for someone who wants to raise taxes through the roof. It's an entirely different ballgame in Illinois.

I don't think Sanders' tax plan matters right now. I really don't.
In MI Clinton and Sanders split 50/50 the $100k-200k income bracket. In fact, all income brackets were basically 50/50.

I get it's a different state, but for her to lead by 30-40 points in IL after losing MI by 1.5%? Come on. I still hold this is a 10-point race. I also believe IL is open primary.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »

In MI Clinton and Sanders split 50/50 the $100k-200k income bracket. In fact, all income brackets were basically 50/50.

I get it's a different state, but for her to lead by 30-40 points in IL after losing MI by 1.5%? Come on. I still hold this is a 10-point race. I also believe IL is open primary.

Do you have a link to this poll that says it's a 10 point race?

Considering that the President is from Illinois and Clinton was in his cabinet, it's not hard to believe that Clinton is leading by this much. Plus, Cook County is a huge percentage of the statewide vote and it's heavily minority.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »

Once again y'all: WeAskAmerica is awful. Hillary most likely will get mid- to high-50s.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »

This isn't the first IL poll.  The Chicago Tribune had Clinton up 42 points.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 04:14:59 PM »

Considering that the President is from Illinois and Clinton was in his cabinet, it's not hard to believe that Clinton is leading by this much. Plus, Cook County is a huge percentage of the statewide vote and it's heavily minority.

I have no proof this is a 10-point race. I'm just pulling numbers out my ass. But it doesn't seem right that Clinton wins IL by a bigger margin than some southern states. I don't think this is a 30-40 point race. As a Clinton supporter I hope I'm wrong.
bilaps
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »

I have no proof this is a 10-point race. I'm just pulling numbers out my ass. But it doesn't seem right that Clinton wins IL by a bigger margin than some southern states. I don't think this is a 30-40 point race. As a Clinton supporter I hope I'm wrong.

Let them believe it's a 30 point race.. It's going to be better for Sanders when it turns out other way.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »

This is Clinton second home, Bill Daley worked for Bill and so did Jesse Jackson
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »

Let them believe it's a 30 point race.. It's going to be better for Sanders when it turns out other way.

It's a big mistake to assume every state is going to turn out like Michigan.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »

It really depends on how big the margin in Cook County is. This electorate is blacker than Michigan and with Chicago having issues with gun violence, Clinton's position on gun control is much more favorable.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 04:55:34 PM »

It really depends on how big the margin in Cook County is. This electorate is blacker than Michigan and with Chicago having issues with gun violence, Clinton's position on gun control is much more favorable.

I guess we'll see in a few days. But I'll say it again, if Clinton posts 20-point margins in FL, NC and IL, it doesn't matter if she loses OH and MO, she will finish the night with a 300 delegate lead and the race will be over for Sanders no matter if he continues to the convention.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »

The most credible explanation about the Michigan polling debacle that I read was by the Votemaster at electoral-vote.com.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2016/Pres/Maps/Mar10.html#item-8

The polls for the Michigan Republican primary were spot on, but those for the Democratic primary showed Hillary Clinton winning by 20 points. She lost by 1.6%. Why? The Washington Post has figured it out. Short answer: The likely voter screen was botched on account of 2008.

Long answer: It goes back to 2008. In that year, Michigan violated the rules and, like Florida, moved its primary to January. Then-chairman of the DNC, Howard Dean, announced that as punishment for violating the rules, Michigan's delegates wouldn't be seated. Barack Obama supported Dean and didn't file to be on the ballot. Hillary Clinton filed and, naturally, won although only 600,000 people voted since voters knew the results didn't matter. This year (and every year), the pollsters try to figure out who is likely to vote, the so-called "likely voter screen." One of the questions they ask is: Did you vote in the last contested Democratic primary? That was 2008 and was anomalous because the DNC said it wouldn't count. Thus the pollsters were way off in guessing who would vote.

As long as the 3/15 states didn't have any similar problems then there is no reason for pollsters to do the same mistake again.
Granted, Florida was punished too in 2008. But Obama and Edwards were on the ballot and their voters had the chance to go and pull the lever for them, and most of them they did.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies