"Trump Supporters Aren't Stupid"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:49:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Trump Supporters Aren't Stupid"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Trump Supporters Aren't Stupid"  (Read 1456 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »

Great article from Medium.com - probably the only one to understand the "Luntz effect" of Trump supporters becoming more likely to support him after seeing attacks against him, without being patronizing or smug about why this is the case.

https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/trump-supporters-aren-t-stupid-3d38f70f2a2f#.tzg7xgcuj

I'd also love to hear what Trump supporters think about this piece. It also has some pretty good, albeit brief, analysis of the Democratic race - mostly about how Bernie supporters and Clinton supporters should try to talk to each other and discuss their differences in a productive way.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

The best take on Trump support I've found so far: http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

Based on (gasp!) political science.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »

Great article from Medium.com - probably the only one to understand the "Luntz effect" of Trump supporters becoming more likely to support him after seeing attacks against him, without being patronizing or smug about why this is the case.

https://medium.com/@emmalindsay/trump-supporters-aren-t-stupid-3d38f70f2a2f#.tzg7xgcuj

I'd also love to hear what Trump supporters think about this piece. It also has some pretty good, albeit brief, analysis of the Democratic race - mostly about how Bernie supporters and Clinton supporters should try to talk to each other and discuss their differences in a productive way.

It's a good article, though I think adding in historical context would make it that much more powerful.  It's also important to recognize that, while TRUMP supporters are disproportionately poor (compared to non-TRUMP supporting Republicans at least), that there are plenty of more affluent TRUMP supporters.  At its core, the TRUMP movement is about American nationalism, a pan-ideological appeal to making AMERICA great again.  In a country like America, this nationalist appeal resonates most strongly with the dominant ethnic group (whites) and with those to whom their national identity is more salient than their ideological positions on the issues.

And yes, the TRUMP movement is racist, but that's because at its core, American nationalism is racist.  American national identity has expanded from its original narrow slice of the population (WASPs) but at the end of the day it's going to be exclusionary and this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »

It's a good article, though I think adding in historical context would make it that much more powerful.  It's also important to recognize that, while TRUMP supporters are disproportionately poor (compared to non-TRUMP supporting Republicans at least), that there are plenty of more affluent TRUMP supporters.  At its core, the TRUMP movement is about American nationalism, a pan-ideological appeal to making AMERICA great again.  In a country like America, this nationalist appeal resonates most strongly with the dominant ethnic group (whites) and with those to whom their national identity is more salient than their ideological positions on the issues.

And yes, the TRUMP movement is racist, but that's because at its core, American nationalism is racist.  American national identity has expanded from its original narrow slice of the population (WASPs) but at the end of the day it's going to be exclusionary and this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Not arguing, I just want you to clarify on that while using a textbook definition of racism.

Because.. I'm not catching the connection.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »

Not arguing, I just want you to clarify on that while using a textbook definition of racism.

Because.. uhh.

Unlike, say, German or Korean, "American" isn't a blood-based ethnicity.  Instead, American national identity is based on the establishment of a racial caste system.  On the top we have whites, a racial group that is fluid and has been expanded as necessary and on the bottom are blacks (and natives).  Americans perceive themselves and the rest of the world through this racial lens.  We're not the only country to have a system like this either, but it's still relatively unique enough to be noteworthy.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »

Unfortunately I can't read the post.

The best take on Trump support I've found so far: http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

Based on (gasp!) political science.

Thanks Tony, but both the fraudulent alchemy of political "science" and the left-wing clickbaiters at Vox have been decisively discredited this last year. That article is some stupid bullshit that involves an "authoritarianism" scale.

The intelligentsia have failed to understand the TRUMP movement. No surprises they're still trying to make excuses. TRUMP is strong, tough and not afraid to speak his mind - and that's very popular. That's all. It's not really complicated.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »

Trump supporters seem to be greatly manipulated, like under some kind of hypnosis. Trump isn't stupid. He knows how to play to his base.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »

That was a good piece. It helps explain the short term motivation of Trump supporters (belong to an in-group that their peers belong to, and that promises to help them climb up the ladder).

But it doesn't actually make me think any better or feel more sympathetic to Trump supporters. Yes, I can understand not wanting to be on the bottom of the heap. But deluding yourself into turning off your brain in order to kiss the shoes of a billionaire con-man with a 4th grade vocabulary who sells you a hat made in Mexico doesn't seem to be an actual good choice on any level, no matter what he claims to be selling.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:45:12 PM »

Because.. uhh.

Unlike, say, German or Korean, "American" isn't a blood-based ethnicity.  Instead, American national identity is based on the establishment of a racial caste system.  On the top we have whites, a racial group that is fluid and has been expanded as necessary and on the bottom are blacks (and natives).  Americans perceive themselves and the rest of the world through this racial lens.  We're not the only country to have a system like this either, but it's still relatively unique enough to be noteworthy.

Bravo

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 05:49:41 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 06:18:44 PM by Meclazine »

The article was crap.

It was an English person trying to explain the Trump phenomeneon without living it.

Australian media is full of the same garbage.

Trump supporters have had a gutful of ineffective management of their country. Economic, immigration, terrorism, foreign policy.

"USA are suckers and other parts of the world are taking full afvantage."

Trump is saying that. "We are losing. I want the USA to win again."

It's that simple. People are reacting to a change in the identity of the nation.

You dont need to be racist to understand his point.

He has taken that to the electorate, and a lot of people agree.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies