Why Did Trump Do So Well in MA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:02:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Did Trump Do So Well in MA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why Did Trump Do So Well in MA?  (Read 3482 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:14:10 PM »

Why did Trump do so well in Massachusetts on Super Tuesday? As it has been one of his strongest states so far.

im assuming it was a very strong turnout among white blue collar types, independents, and old time Northeastern moderate/liberal Republicans that did it for him?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »

Trump is the mindset of most Massachusetts Republicans I know. They're not Mitt Romney's, they're Scott Brown's, for the most part.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »

To be a Republican in MA you must be a contrarian to begin with.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »

Who else are they going to vote for?

Rubio? Nah. Kasich? Someone who is destined to lose?
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:20:18 PM »

Demographics. As a New Englander, there are two types of Republicans here. The John Kasich type, who are traditional Republicans with moderate social views, and the Donald Trump type, the very self-centered Republicans who are successful in their own right. There aren't really any religious people up here, hence, little support for Cruz. Also, people up here are very, very media consuming, so Trump is a likely person to attract voters.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 09:23:28 PM »

Trump does best with working-class whites who identify as moderate and aren't religious. MA is full of those.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:39:12 PM »

ITs an open primary where republicans are very moderate and democrats and independents can vote. It also has very few very conservative and very religious voters
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »

Trump, crazy as he is, isn't far right off of a cliff like Cruz is.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »

In an open primary there's a greater chance of people crossing over to mess things up.  I don't know for a fact it was their intent but in 2008 it was what alot of voters on both sides did.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »

Probably a lot of Republican whites who are attracted to Trump.

I saw a recent survey somewhere, and Boston was voted the top (or near the top) large city with "racist" views, in the entire USA. Meaning they are not "too inviting" to people of color there.

Is this true ?
Anyone live in that area (or in New England) who can attest to this ?
Or have you ever visited there, and have noticed this ?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

What makes people on this forum unable to spot the blindingly obvious? Trump's strongest support in New Hampshire came amongst the ex-pat white-flight Baaawstonians on the MA border (an affluent bunch for the most part, incidentally) and polls have shown consistent strength for him in humdrum non-fundie suburbia. Do you not know your own country very well or something?
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 02:30:06 PM »

See "Boston Against Busing," there is an ugly racial undercurrent in parts of MA politics which is probably true today as well.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »

Massholes.
politicallpd
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 04:14:22 PM »

I've written about this before, but will do so again.

Here's the deal with Massachusetts-- there is no single factor that explains Trump's dominance. The first leg of the stool here comes from his support among white, lower middle class, blue collar voters. There are a lot of them in Massachusetts, and I'll expect TRUMP to rack up a lot of votes in and around cities like Lowell, Lawrence, Fall River, and down through the Blackstone River valley.

Massachusetts is very much a tale of two Commonwealths, as is the rest of the country. Yes, our schools, economy and education system are better than yours Wink but by and large, not everyone has shared in this wealth and success. Notice where Kasich pulled his voters and actually won towns-- all around the 128 corridor. By and large, disaffected white voters who've watched good manufacturing jobs shipped overseas, the rich get richer, the middle class get screwed, while at the same time they're witnessing broad societal change, and see Trump as the natural strength they need to keep them safe.

It has nothing to do with proximity to NH, etc.-- it's the same thing that's playing out all across America.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »

Probably a lot of Republican whites who are attracted to Trump.

I saw a recent survey somewhere, and Boston was voted the top (or near the top) large city with "racist" views, in the entire USA. Meaning they are not "too inviting" to people of color there.

Is this true ?
Anyone live in that area (or in New England) who can attest to this ?
Or have you ever visited there, and have noticed this ?

As somebody who has lived in the Boston area for a long time, this isn't true.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »

Massachusetts--all of Massachusetts--has a bigger racism problem than anyone there would like to admit.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »

Although I live in New York, a large part of my social circle is Boston transplants. They all agree that Boston is massively racist. However that's also how they describe almost everything.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »

Massachusetts--all of Massachusetts--has a bigger racism problem than anyone there would like to admit.
Isn't that true of most places?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 04:57:18 PM »

Granted, I haven't spent much time in Boston. I live in a suburb which has a good number of Hispanics.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »

Yes, I think a lot of white, left-leaning areas have the same kind of "We're the north, we can't be racist" attitude.

Granted, I haven't spent much time in Boston. I live in a suburb which has a good number of Hispanics.

I haven't either, and I live even further away from Boston than you do, but I have definitely heard from people who have spent time there that Boston is extremely racist.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »

Here's a hint: there's a direct correlation between townships where George Wallace did well in 1976 and townships where Trump did well in 2016. Here's an other hint: Wallace's support is a decent proxy for virulent/violent opposition to busing.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »

Yes, I think a lot of white, left-leaning areas have the same kind of "We're the north, we can't be racist" attitude.

We're talking about Trump so we're not talking about left leaning areas. We're talking about little towns.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »

We're talking about Trump so we're not talking about left leaning areas. We're talking about little towns.

Ah, yes. Most of the small towns in my county do have mild racist undertones. Can't speak for much of western MA, though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 06:02:44 PM »

Little towns in Massachusetts are usually left-leaning. Although we are talking about the Republican primaries so maybe "culturally liberal" would be a better term.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 06:26:05 PM »

Trump won in pretty much the same places as Scott Brown, no?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies