Romney: it's "absurd" I would say no to the nomination, if drafted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:04:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Romney: it's "absurd" I would say no to the nomination, if drafted
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney: it's "absurd" I would say no to the nomination, if drafted  (Read 1916 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/06/romney-touts-cruz-wins-over-trump-will-not-reject-gop-nod-if-drafted-at-convention.html

Romney, keeping the dream alive, awaiting the chance to ride into the brokered convention on a white horse.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »

If trump loses on the 15th, Romney will have a better chance at the nomination than trump does. Sad!
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »

If trump loses on the 15th, Romney will have a better chance at the nomination than trump does. Sad!
Loses... what exactly? There are multiple states voting. You can't seriously believe that if he wins all states but Ohio that Romney would have a better chance, right?

Also, it's interesting how you call Trump's performance so far sad, when Marco Rubio literally has won one state up to this point, and Cruz lost most of his base states in the South. It's going to be hilarious when Trump wins the Industrial Midwest and you attempt to explain how the GOP fell so far.

You guys brought this upon yourselves. You had a chance to fight back against this and defeat the Tea Party extremists. You had a chance to shift back to a more sensible conservatism. You didn't do that, and now it's time for the GOP to take a 1964 Goldwater type hit. Good luck.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »

Loses... what exactly? There are multiple states voting. You can't seriously believe that if he wins all states but Ohio that Romney would have a better chance, right?

If trump loses OH and FL, then Romney has a better shot at the nomination than he does. It's objective fact, since trump is nearly guaranteed to get less than 50% of delegates in the other states voting on that day.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »

If trump loses OH and FL, then Romney has a better shot at the nomination than he does. It's objective fact, since trump is nearly guaranteed to get less than 50% of delegates in the other states voting on that day.

You do realize how absolutely effing ridiculous it is that the GOPe would rely on a brokered convention to get their preferred/available "inoffensive" candidate nominated is? How much has the DOG sweat saturated your Romney 2012 t-shirt yet?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2016, 04:37:55 PM by Ronnie »

The establishment wouldn't dare install a candidate who ends up in a distant third with the delegate count or no delegates at all.  There would be a massive revolt at the convention.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »

If they try to cheat nomination out of Trump or Cruz, anti-establishment people will make Chicago' 68 looks a child game.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »

Trump's not losing Florida, so it's a moot point.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 04:54:09 PM »

If they try to cheat nomination out of Trump or Cruz, anti-establishment people will make Chicago' 68 looks a child game.

This may be wrong of me, but I would pay to see the police beating the crap out of a bunch of white Republicans.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »

You do realize how absolutely effing ridiculous it is that the GOPe would rely on a brokered convention to get their preferred/available "inoffensive" candidate nominated is? How much has the DOG sweat saturated your Romney 2012 t-shirt yet?

Well, I don't own such a t-shirt, though I would wear it with pride. I do own a Rubio '16 t-shirt, of course.

How ridiculous is it that the establishment wants to nominate someone the overwhelming majority of their electorate is perfectly fine with over someone about 2/3 of the electorate have rejected? I don't think it's ridiculous at all, though as I've said many times I don't believe the support for Romney at a contested convention would be sufficient and I think Cruz would emerge the winner of such an event.

Trump's not losing Florida, so it's a moot point.

I don't think you can be confident about him winning Florida considering his consistent underperformances of polling (though I will admit he is probably favored), and I don't think his winning is inevitable if he does carry FL but loses OH, though it would of course be a significant boost for him.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »

In his interview on MTP Romney said he will endorse and campaign for one of the three nonTrumps, likely after March 15.  So he would look pretty bad to turn against his endorsed candidate at the convention.  The only way would be if the endorsed candidate stepped aside and endorsed Romney.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »

It would be quite a spectacle to see him campaigning with Ted Cruz, which is a distinct possibility at this point.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »

Well, I don't own such a t-shirt, though I would wear it with pride. I do own a Rubio '16 t-shirt, of course.

How ridiculous is it that the establishment wants to nominate someone the overwhelming majority of their electorate is perfectly fine with over someone about 2/3 of the electorate have rejected? I don't think it's ridiculous at all, though as I've said many times I don't believe the support for Romney at a contested convention would be sufficient and I think Cruz would emerge the winner of such an event.

I'm not really sure what your point is. The whole "We've got him on the ropes!" mentality hasn't played out that well so far--"He said something offensive!" "He hasn't won anything yet!" "His voters won't show up!" "He lost Iowa!"--that it's been taken to the point that he's [Trump] beaten every expectation set for him. Now to declare "victory" having taken it to a convention? If your "side" (or whatever) is relying on that to force a favorable outcome, you've already lost control of the animal, and you will more than deserve the loss you receive in November.

Maybe he is losing momentum. I've certainly been given that impression. But maybe that's just your whole negative attitude rubbing off on the rest of the forum population. We'll see. The newest "last, best hope"--Cruz--is likely to do relatively poorly in upcoming states. I'd hazard to guess it's Trump or Kasich in the Rust Belt, though I'm no pundit (lol). My point is that this whole "Oh, you animals thought you could win but we'll eventually rein in the beast after taking an incredibly long time to slow him down!" is downright pathetic given that, per what I was told the conventional wisdom was, a candidate with so few "endorsement points" who has a record of support for universal healthcare and abortion was supposed to be downright rejected by our sensible and civilized GOP voters.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »

I'm not really sure what your point is. The whole "We've got him on the ropes!" mentality hasn't played out that well so far--"He said something offensive!" "He hasn't won anything yet!" "His voters won't show up!" "He lost Iowa!"--that it's been taken to the point that he's [Trump] beaten every expectation set for him.

That's a myth. trump has consistently failed to meet and underperformed expectations. The expectations were that he would win every state on Super Tuesday and force his opponents out. Then the polls showed him winning Kansas, for instance. You don't have a grasp on the current political situation if you think trump is meeting expectations, never mind breaking them.

Now to declare "victory" having taken it to a convention? If your "side" (or whatever) is relying on that to force a favorable outcome, you've already lost control of the animal, and you will more than deserve the loss you receive in November.

The loss in November is already priced in. Unless something totally bizarre happens, it's going to happen whether trump is nominated, Cruz is nominated, someone is drafted at a convention, whatever. The goal now is to try to manage it and have it occur on our terms.

Newsflash: if the animal can't manage to win a majority of delegates after having spent months with a double-digit lead in national polling, he was never more than a paper tiger to begin with.

Maybe he is losing momentum. I've certainly been given that impression. But maybe that's just your whole negative attitude rubbing off on the rest of the forum population. We'll see.

I'm flattered that you think my attitude is rubbing off on the rest of the forum population Smiley

The newest "last, best hope"--Cruz--is likely to do relatively poorly in upcoming states. I'd hazard to guess it's Trump or Kasich in the Rust Belt, though I'm no pundit (lol). My point is that this whole "Oh, you animals thought you could win but we'll eventually rein in the beast after taking an incredibly long time to slow him down!" is downright pathetic given that, per what I was told the conventional wisdom was, a candidate with so few "endorsement points" who has a record of support for universal healthcare and abortion was supposed to be downright rejected by our sensible and civilized GOP voters.

Well, you certainly didn't get your conventional wisdom from me. The endorsement points that predicted Gephardt victories in '88 and '04, and Perry as Romney's main rival, were clearly always bullsh**t (especially considering the vaguely random weights given to endorsements -- why is a governor worth twice a senator? -- seemed to indicate there was an attempt to fit the model to reality, and even then it was far off). trump is not losing because of a shortage of endorsement points.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »

I thought he also said he wouldn't run if drafted.  His best bet is to enter the primaries now.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »

I thought he also said he wouldn't run if drafted.  His best bet is to enter the primaries now.

Not...really? There'd be very few places he could even get on the ballot. Running in a few states would be pointless.

As far as I can tell, Romney could still get on in:

Oregon (if he registered literally tomorrow), Nebraska, Montana, California, South Dakota, New Jersey, Wyoming (a special situation), Utah, DC, North Carolina, North Dakota, Washington, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, and Virgin Islands.

So...12 states, DC, and the territories.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »

Not...really? There'd be very few places he could even get on the ballot. Running in a few states would be pointless.

Oregon (if he registered literally tomorrow), Nebraska, Montana, California, South Dakota, New Jersey, Wyoming (a special situation), Utah, DC, North Carolina, North Dakota, Washington, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, and Virgin Islands.

With that he's kind of screwed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 02:05:03 AM »

But will he flee to Mexico like his grandfather? Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 02:30:39 AM »

If nobody gets a majority of the delegates then no one can legitimately claim they should be nominated on behalf of the voters. That's how these things are set up. What the Republicans should consider is an IRV primary.
win win
dxu8888

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »

Romney is tired of having to go through these elections. Just appoint him the president already.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »

Wow, I never thought I'd agree with anything Romney says, but I agree that this draft nomination idea is absurd. And it's good that he would say no to the nomination, it saves voters having to say no to him in an election...
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »

Wow, I never thought I'd agree with anything Romney says, but I agree that this draft nomination idea is absurd. And it's good that he would say no to the nomination, it saves voters having to say no to him in an election...

Please read more than the title. Romney is saying that if they do give him the nod at the convention, he would take it. In fact, you don't even have to click on the link. Just read the link itself http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/06/romney-touts-cruz-wins-over-trump-will-not-reject-gop-nod-if-drafted-at-convention.html
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »

Friendly state legislatures may be able to add him a few more. And winning a few states could help deny Trump a majority and give Romney more credibility to woo delegates at the convention.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »

Romney should just accept the reality that his only legacy in future history books would be being a loser.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »

Please read more than the title. Romney is saying that if they do give him the nod at the convention, he would take it. In fact, you don't even have to click on the link. Just read the link itself http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/06/romney-touts-cruz-wins-over-trump-will-not-reject-gop-nod-if-drafted-at-convention.html

Yeah, yeah. So what you're saying is that Romney is being a typical politician and talking out both sides of his face. Yes, I get it; this is simply another reason to ignore what Romney has to say...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies