What is the most socially conservative country in western Europe? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What is the most socially conservative country in western Europe? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the most socially conservative country in western Europe?  (Read 10816 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: June 01, 2005, 12:47:45 PM »

Other than very tiny countries, I would ... Portugal.
No. people who say that have no idea what they are talking about.
Just becuase we have tight abortion laws does not mean we are socially conservative.
The answer is of course Switzerland.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 01:11:03 PM »

That's also what you said in our AIM convo, but like I pointed out, Switzerland has legal pot and prostitution.

It doesn't matter if it's legal. It only matters if the population greatly practices that behavious or not. You, just like everyone else, has a very legalist view of the world.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 10:37:03 AM »

Other than very tiny countries, I would ... Portugal.
No. people who say that have no idea what they are talking about.
Just becuase we have tight abortion laws does not mean we are socially conservative.
Really?  What are the abortion laws in Portugal?

Legal up to 8 weeks in case of mother or baby health, IIRC(I know the weeks are right).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:38:26 AM »

That's also what you said in our AIM convo, but like I pointed out, Switzerland has legal pot and prostitution.

It doesn't matter if it's legal. It only matters if the population greatly practices that behavious or not. You, just like everyone else, has a very legalist view of the world.

How does that matter? I believe we are looking at governments and not the people themselves. Many countries have legalized prostitution but those services are not used often by the locals. It is hard to actually gauge the local usage of such businesses and such but it is much easier to see the policies of the government. In respects to government policies and the like I would have to say that Ireland is probably the most socially conservative place in Western Europe. Switzerland is one of the most libertarian countries in the world and will probably stay that way for quite some time. Granted the pot and prostitution in Switzerland is not as out in the open or well-known and idealized, especially in the United States, as the Netherlands but its still their.

Well, it could be said the Swiss are socially libertarian and culturaly conservative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies