What is the most socially conservative country in western Europe?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What is the most socially conservative country in western Europe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the most socially conservative country in western Europe?  (Read 10809 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2005, 11:40:25 AM »

I got in a debate with Bono about this once.

Anyway, like I said there, I say it's Liechenstein. Only non-theocratic country I can think of where parents are REQUIRED to send their kids to religious education just like general education. It can be Catholic or Protestant, but they have to choose one of those. I can't see that passing even in the Deep South here (disregarding that it'd be blatantly unconstitutional anyway)
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 11:53:37 AM »

Other than very tiny countries, I would say Ireland or Portugal.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:47:45 PM »

Other than very tiny countries, I would ... Portugal.
No. people who say that have no idea what they are talking about.
Just becuase we have tight abortion laws does not mean we are socially conservative.
The answer is of course Switzerland.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:59:21 PM »

That's also what you said in our AIM convo, but like I pointed out, Switzerland has legal pot and prostitution.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 01:11:03 PM »

That's also what you said in our AIM convo, but like I pointed out, Switzerland has legal pot and prostitution.

It doesn't matter if it's legal. It only matters if the population greatly practices that behavious or not. You, just like everyone else, has a very legalist view of the world.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 06:07:29 PM »

It doesn't matter if it's legal. It only matters if the population greatly practices that behavious or not. You, just like everyone else, has a very legalist view of the world.

How does that matter? I believe we are looking at governments and not the people themselves. Many countries have legalized prostitution but those services are not used often by the locals. It is hard to actually gauge the local usage of such businesses and such but it is much easier to see the policies of the government. In respects to government policies and the like I would have to say that Ireland is probably the most socially conservative place in Western Europe. Switzerland is one of the most libertarian countries in the world and will probably stay that way for quite some time. Granted the pot and prostitution in Switzerland is not as out in the open or well-known and idealized, especially in the United States, as the Netherlands but its still their.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 09:00:31 PM »

Ireland isn't really part of Europe.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 09:11:11 PM »

Yes that's the main problem I was thinking when I was writing my post. Ireland is, though, on the European continent and is in the western portion of it. Thus making it a western European country.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 09:13:22 PM »

No it's not on the European continent. That's why it's not really part of Europe. Neither is the UK.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »

No it's not on the European continent. That's why it's not really part of Europe. Neither is the UK.

Actually its part of the European continental plate, thus it is in the continent of Europe.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 11:55:15 PM »

Couldn't you argue, then, that India and Australia are practically on the same continent?
Polkergeist

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 04:28:02 AM »

So continent what is Ireland (and the UK for that matter) it part of ?

P.S. The British Isles is not a continent

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 05:01:33 AM »

Actually its part of the European continental plate, thus it is in the continent of Europe.
Actually its part of the Eurasian continental plate.

If Ireland is not in Europe, then Long Island is not in America.

Switzerland is definitely not that socially conservative.
Well, parts of it are.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 05:42:35 AM »

Just becuase we have tight abortion laws does not mean we are socially conservative.
Really?  What are the abortion laws in Portugal?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 07:46:59 AM »

There's an argument I've never heard before.

It also allows me to point to the National Geographic Global Geographic Literacy Survey which demonstrated 11% of Americans couldn't find America on a map.
(Not that I'm accusing you of geographic ignorance.)

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/index.html

In respects to government policies and the like I would have to say that Ireland is probably the most socially conservative place in Western Europe.

And not that I necessarily agree or disagree with this proposition, but just being interested on outside perspectives, why do you think this?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 10:37:03 AM »

Really?  What are the abortion laws in Portugal?

Legal up to 8 weeks in case of mother or baby health, IIRC(I know the weeks are right).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 10:38:26 AM »

How does that matter? I believe we are looking at governments and not the people themselves. Many countries have legalized prostitution but those services are not used often by the locals. It is hard to actually gauge the local usage of such businesses and such but it is much easier to see the policies of the government. In respects to government policies and the like I would have to say that Ireland is probably the most socially conservative place in Western Europe. Switzerland is one of the most libertarian countries in the world and will probably stay that way for quite some time. Granted the pot and prostitution in Switzerland is not as out in the open or well-known and idealized, especially in the United States, as the Netherlands but its still their.

Well, it could be said the Swiss are socially libertarian and culturaly conservative.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 12:53:22 PM »

Ireland is part of an island. By definition islands are not part of any continent. Long Island is not part of North America, although it part of the United States of America. So is Hawaii, but that's not not part of North America.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2005, 03:21:57 PM by Hitchabrut »

Besides small countries.

Most

Ireland
Italy
Portugal
Spain
Austria
Switzerland
Germany
United Kingdom
France
Norway
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark
Sweden

Least
TB
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 02:21:49 PM »

Besides small countries.

Most

Ireland
Italy
Portuguese
Spain
Austria
Switzerland
Germany
United Kingdom
France
Norway
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark

Least

This is about right. I think the Netherlands are freer than we are here. You also forgot Sweden which in the very top (or bottom in this case) of your list along with the other Scandinavian countries. The Catholic countries tend to be more socially conservative.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 03:01:25 PM »

Ireland is part of an island. By definition islands are not part of any continent. Long Island is not part of North America, although it part of the United States of America. So is Hawaii, but that's not not part of North America.

Actually islands that lie on the continental shelf are usually considered part of the continent in which self they are on. Thus Long Island is part of North America as well as Ireland, since it is on the European continental shelf. Also geographers continually add Ireland to the continent of Europe since it is on the European sub-plate, which is itself part of the larger Eurasian plate.

The only point in the statement above that has validity is Hawaii which is not part of the continent of North America since it is on the Pacific plate. It is usually labeled as part of Oceania or just the Pacific.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 04:03:42 PM »

Well it is in the EU. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 02:32:28 PM »

Parts of the U.K are pretty socially conservative; the North much more than the Southeast generally speaking (mind you East London isn't exactly socially liberal for the most part).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 09:19:04 PM »

This is similar to a thread I started a while back, except back then everyone was saying that the issues were too different in the different countries...that you couldn't really compare them.  Tongue

Anyway, just out of curiosity, any insights on where Canada and Australia would rank in social liberalism / conservativism vs. the countries in Europe?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies