Could the Democrats get any celebrity presidential candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:56:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Could the Democrats get any celebrity presidential candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could the Democrats get any celebrity presidential candidates?  (Read 1902 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »

The GOP seems to have more celebrities in its ranks, which is funny because everyone says Hollywood skews Democrat. Besides Trump, you've got Reagan, but also billionaires and CEOs like Cain, Fiorina, and Forbes, who are sort of celebrities in the sense that they're non-governmental public figures. And Schwarzenegger could have been one of them, if it wasn't for the Constitution.

Even for celebrities who aren't actually politicians, you have rumors like Joe Scarborough being Trump's running mate, or Mike Ditka running against Obama for the Illinois Senate seat in 2004.

So besides Al Franken, did/does/will the Democrats have any celebrity star power as actual elected officials? Any that could one day run for president?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »

Kanye West, although I'm not sure what party he's in.

I keep hearing rumors about Ben Affleck running for stuff in Massachusetts. I'm not sure why.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 06:57:33 PM by Virginia »

In terms of non-presidential political offices

Ashley Judd apparently toyed with running for KY US Senate but obviously didn't ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Judd#Political_activities )

Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie) is also running for a US House's 8th district in Michigan.  http://www.gilbertformichigan.com/

But I dunno about for president. I can't think of any that would be a good fit off the top of my head. I don't think it really matters though - After someone like Reagan, and now Trump, I think it's best those kinds of people just stay away from government positions.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »

Kanye is, oddly, a Republican. God help us if he runs in 2020.

Anyway, Gary Kroeger, Melissa Gilbert, Ashley Judd, and George Clooney are all unlikely candidates, but worth noting.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »

Kanye is, oddly, a Republican. God help us if he runs in 2020.

Any evidence of that?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »

According to New York magazine, it's "safe" to assume Kanye West is a Democrat: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/08/

In MI, Melissa Sue Anderson (of Little House on the Prairie) is considering a run for congress as a Democrat. I can also see Scarlett Johanssen running.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »

Kanye is a Democrat, but Kim Kardashian is a Republican. Kardashian actually describes herself as a "liberal Republican".

I could totally see Kanye being the next Donald Trump. No one would've guessed that Trump would run and be the GOP front runner a year ago. People thought of him as insane and crazy.

Both Kanye and Donald are narcissistic/egotistical celebrities who went through serious financial struggles at one point in their lives and do and say what they want.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »

Kanye is a Democrat, but Kim Kardashian is a Republican. Kardashian actually describes herself as a "liberal Republican".

I could totally see Kanye being the next Donald Trump. No one would've guessed that Trump would run and be the GOP front runner a year ago. People thought of him as insane and crazy.

Both Kanye and Donald are narcissistic/egotistical celebrities who went through serious financial struggles at one point in their lives and do and say what they want.
Are you sure Kim Kardashian is a Republican? http://hollowverse.com/kris-jenner/
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »

It would be interesting to see if a Trump-style campaign would work with the Democratic primary electorate.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »

It would be interesting to see if a Trump-style campaign would work with the Democratic primary electorate.
It didn't work in 1998 in MI (some of Fieger's gems included an assertion that Gov. Engler was the result of a cross between a human being and a barnyard animal, and that Jesus was some goofball that got nailed to the cross), but that was before the Flint water crisis. You never know! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_gubernatorial_election,_1998
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »

Of the famous billionaires, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg come to mind as people who could run for the nom. Not likely, obviously.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 08:06:04 AM »

Democrats have much more respect for people who held elected office, so a celebrity would likely have to serve in one of the traditional stepping stones (I'd include mayor in that category) first.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »

If Kanye runs for president and wins, bye bye America.

Can you imagine Trump and Kanye debating each other? All time low.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »

Of the famous billionaires, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg come to mind as people who could run for the nom. Not likely, obviously.

For some reason I thought Zuckerberg was some sort of pseudo-libertarian. Am I getting him mixed up with another internet age millionaire?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »

Even for celebrities who aren't actually politicians, you have rumors like Joe Scarborough being Trump's running mate, or Mike Ditka running against Obama for the Illinois Senate seat in 2004.

He actually served in the House, so I wouldn't put him in the same category.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »

Don't you think his relationship with the fishes may hurt him?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »

For some reason I thought Zuckerberg was some sort of pseudo-libertarian. Am I getting him mixed up with another internet age millionaire?

McAFEE.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 01:12:40 AM »

Sorry for taking so long. He's actually plenty of stuff to anger people on both sides of the aisle (as one would expect Kanye to do), but what I was thinking of when I said that was his praise of Ben Carson and a tweet about "economic freedom" that Paul Ryan retweeted. However, I was probably wrong to say he's a Republican. He strikes me as more of a ReTrumplican, without much of an ideology other than what best suits Kanye.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 01:19:50 AM »

The GOP seems to have more celebrities in its ranks, which is funny because everyone says Hollywood skews Democrat. Besides Trump, you've got Reagan, but also billionaires and CEOs like Cain, Fiorina, and Forbes, who are sort of celebrities in the sense that they're non-governmental public figures. And Schwarzenegger could have been one of them, if it wasn't for the Constitution.

So besides Al Franken, did/does/will the Democrats have any celebrity star power as actual elected officials? Any that could one day run for president?

Republican celebrities make it happen while Democrat celebrities in Hollywood sit around and whine while polluting our environment in their gulf stream jets carrying them around the world so they can self gloat about pollution caused by themselves.  See things can be phrased different ways.  Having said that, no celebrity Democrats aren't taken seriously by anyone old enough to vote.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »

George Clooney comes to my mind. Would actually make a good politican. But he should hold another office before (senator as an example).
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »

I frankly think celebrities in politics are unlikely to be a good thing.

There's a picture of Kim Kardashian posting her taking a naked picture of herself. That's a potential first lady there if Kanye is serious about running, and it's scary.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 08:21:59 PM »

Are you sure Kim Kardashian is a Republican? http://hollowverse.com/kris-jenner/

Jenner endorsed Cruz...
DS0816
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 09:20:43 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 09:22:52 PM by DS0816 »

Ben Affleck, who turns 44 this year, and/or Matt Damon, who will be 46 in 2016, spring to mind.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »

Ben Affleck is older than I thought he was.  I was under the impression he'd be 40 this year.  He has no political credentials and not even in any real private sector experience.  He'd be a little more qualified than Obama was in 2008 but not by much.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »

Democrats have greater respect for officeholders while Republicans like political outsiders.

However, if a celebrity becomes Senator he or she could be a powerhouse in a primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies