#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 109189 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »

I would like to personally thank Ben Sasse for allowing President Hillary Clinton to replace Antonin Scalia, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, (probably) Anthony Kennedy, and (if we're lucky) Clarence Thomas with a cohort of 40-year old feminist lesbian atheist civil rights lawyers and abortion doctors (who each belong to a different racial minority)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »

I've been tweeting him links to Gary Johnson stuff for like three days. Joking about RINO scum aside, I like Sasse. I wish he'd understand that the Trump revolt needs to be taken seriously, but I also think he can be an ally for the liberty movement in the future and helping to build up that movement is my long term goal.

The short term goal, of course, is to punish the party for trying to shove another movement Conservative upon the electorate.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »

You won't see any Democratic Senators or Representatives doing this, whether it's Sanders or Mrs. Clinton.
Fargobison

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »

I actually prefer HRC to Trump. Not voting for her but Trump is a pathetic disgrace. I am glad Senators like Ben Sasse are taking a stand against his carnival act.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »

So there's a decent chance of locking in a 5/4 liberal majority, but 7/2 is a pipe dream IMO.

I think there is a decent chance of a reliable, long lasting 6-3 liberal majority by either 2020, or if 2 term Democratic, 2024 - IF everything worked out perfectly for Democrats and they won the White House and Senate this year. This would, of course, involve McConnell not offering a deal for a moderate. We are so close to at least a bare, flimsy liberal majority that the very thought of it makes me salivate.

I have wondered quite a bit how this will play out. McConnell is in an awfully difficult spot right now. With Trump on the ticket, his majority is basically finished, imo. Either Trump's highly acidic coattails wipes it out, or the turtle's deal-brokering antics will cause a backlash among conservatives. Further, even with a non-Trump nominee, his obstruction will only give Democrats more ammunition this fall.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »

I will too.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »

This is all ridiculous because Hillary's victory, while massive, isn't going to in any way be an endorsement for Hillary: it's going to be a resounding defeat for Trump. (Unlike, say, 2008, which was an endorsement for Obama). As such, Hillary's coattails are not going to be particularly significant, which means it's unlikely Democrats take the Senate.

Keep in mind that Trump is already running, is already the overwhelming favorite for the nomination, and that's already factored in to Senate polls. Fine, Democrats'll take IL & WI; perhaps FL with a bad Republican candidate and a good Democrat (both unlikely); they're trailing but within striking distance in NH and NV (keeping in mind that NV is a hold, not a gain). Their candidate in PA is someone the party can't bear to support, their candidate in OH is a finished old man, their candidate in NC is an ex-state Representative. Every other state with a Republican incumbent is solidly red. I can see a narrow, unlikely path to 51-50, but anything better than that for Democrats just won't happen in the 2016 climate unless Obama magically becomes popular.

I have also not factored in the possibility of a serious right-wing third-party candidate, which doesn't seem likely to happen but very well could. That will result in a more overwhelming Hillary win in the EC (though who care), but her popular vote percentage will be much lower, and far more conservatives will vote; you'll get the new Trump voters and the old Republicans, who together will very likely be a majority of the electorate. Not all of those people will look downballot, but do you really think those that do will vote for a Democratic Congress? Not bloody likely.

In short, for all the sturm und drang, 2016 is still overwhelmingly likely to be a 2012-style status quo election where nothing actually changes. Clinton will succeed Obama and implement basically the same policies, McConnell, Ryan, and the 8 justices will stay in place and do what they always do. 2018 will roll around and movement conservatives will be back with a vengeance. 2/3 Senate majority won't be out of the question, though it probably is in the House, unfortunately.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »

On some level, the only thing that would make sense for this election is a hung EC.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 06:13:57 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 06:16:12 PM by Super Trumpday 03/01/16 »

Remember the last time a "moderate respectable Republican" ran third party, allowing the incumbent Democrat to win in a landslide?

Oh...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »

I am a loyal Republican, and I agree with Sasse, yes, if Trump, who appeals to people's insecurities, hatreds, and prejudices, is the nominee, there must be a sensible conservative candidate to run as well.

I will say this, once the Republican Party takes the severe drubbing it is going to take with Trump as the nominee, and with Trump will become known as the party of angry whites, the party of the KKK, the party of David Duke, the party that hates Mexicans, Hispanics and Muslims, the Republican Party will be set back years, and will have to dig its' way out of the hole it would have dug itself into by picking Trump, and in fact, the Republican Party may even disappear.

I weep for my party.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »

A conservative 3rd party run means Trump would retaliate by endorsing downballot Dems in a bunch of competitive races.  The GOP would be lucky to hold onto the House in that environment, let alone the Senate.

Trump endorsing downballot Democrats would result in the conservative third-party option outperforming Donald as only his core loyalists stay with him, while the Democrats he endorses do worse due to left-wingers refusing to vote for them. Lose-lose proposition for Trump and congressional Democrats. Try again.

Remember the last time a "moderate respectable Republican" ran third party, allowing the incumbent Democrat to win in a landslide?

Oh...

Remember when the winner of that year's Republican nomination picked one of his opponents for VP, and then the moderate Republican you speak of ran a campaign aimed at Democratic voters, to the extent that the Democratic candidate tried all means of getting him less media attention, refusing to participate in debates that the moderate Republican did? And then the Democratic candidate lost? Oh...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »

I would like to personally thank Ben Sasse for allowing President Hillary Clinton to replace Antonin Scalia, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, (probably) Anthony Kennedy, and (if we're lucky) Clarence Thomas with a cohort of 40-year old feminist lesbian atheist civil rights lawyers and abortion doctors (who each belong to a different racial minority)

What difference does it make if replacement justices "each belong to a different racial minority" (as you say) ? ?
The bigotry with Trump and his racist supporters is just mind-boggling !
Trump sure brings out the trash in America.
Just shocking !

And then for some odd reason, some Trump followers wonder why white nationalist, the KKK and David Duke support Trump. Well, here is a disgusting example of what Trump has done to our nation.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »

I would love a legitimately center-right third party, but most likely the new third party would be a GOP clone that just shamelessly panders to hispanics.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »

What difference does it make if replacement justices "each belong to a different racial minority" (as you say) ? ?
Just shocking !

And then for some odd reason, some Trump followers wonder why white nationalist, the KKK and David Duke support Trump. Well, here is a disgusting example of what Trump has done to our nation.

He wasn't being sarcastic. We'd really love that. Those people deserve a chance after society has caused their group's to be disadvantaged through no fault of their own, just by virtue of birth.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:43 PM »

Just shocking !

He wasn't being sarcastic. We'd really love that. Those people deserve a chance after society has caused their group's to be disadvantaged through no fault of their own, just by virtue of birth.

And here we have another trump supporter, adding more bigotry on top of the first layer of trump crap. Well done guys ..... you are doing an excellent job showing your true colors.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »

Just shocking !

And here we have another trump supporter, adding more bigotry on top of the first layer of trump crap. Well done guys ..... you are doing an excellent job showing your true colors.

True colors? I assure you that none of us are racists. Sure, nominating abortion doctors to the Supreme Court might be a bit much, but we encourage our leaders to give representation to racial minorities, women, religious minorities, and LGBT+ individuals.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »

Just shocking !

If supporting affirmative action to give disadvantaged groups a fair shot is bigotry, I don't want to be anything else. I am here to bring fairness to all, and representation in public affairs goes a long way in that.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2016, 07:33:35 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Just shocking !

If supporting affirmative action to give disadvantaged groups a fair shot is bigotry, I don't want to be anything else. I am here to bring fairness to all, and representation in public affairs goes a long way in that.

There isn't a "wanting to bring fairness" bone, in your entire body.
No one is believing your disgusting sarcasm (and those of your other bigoted trump brothers in Atlas).
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »

Your candidate is a lying racist hypocrite who supports socialized healthcare and higher taxes, opposes free trade, and was a Democrat who supported Hillary Clinton until like 20 minutes ago. You dare call us Reaganites "RINO"s? Donald "Con Artist" Trump is the biggest RINO of all!
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »

I am a loyal Republican, and I agree with Sasse, yes, if Trump, who appeals to people's insecurities, hatreds, and prejudices, is the nominee, there must be a sensible conservative candidate to run as well.

I will say this, once the Republican Party takes the severe drubbing it is going to take with Trump as the nominee, and with Trump will become known as the party of angry whites, the party of the KKK, the party of David Duke, the party that hates Mexicans, Hispanics and Muslims, the Republican Party will be set back years, and will have to dig its' way out of the hole it would have dug itself into by picking Trump, and in fact, the Republican Party may even disappear.

I weep for my party.

Concur.  Ben Sasse is speaking like a very conservative Republican, but he is actually a pragmatist and an ethical man.  Trump is unethical, ungroomed, and downright scary. 

I'm still hoping he somehow comes up short of a majority of the delegates and it becomes a brokered convention, as his ceiling is about 35% of the GOP plus Chris Christie.  But, the WTA states argue in his favor.  The result is scary.  I would not like a repeat of 1912, but the thought of a President Trump is very scary.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 11:45:49 PM »

I weep for my party.

Concur.  Ben Sasse is speaking like a very conservative Republican, but he is actually a pragmatist and an ethical man.  Trump is unethical, ungroomed, and downright scary. 

I'm still hoping he somehow comes up short of a majority of the delegates and it becomes a brokered convention, as his ceiling is about 35% of the GOP plus Chris Christie.  But, the WTA states argue in his favor.  The result is scary.  I would not like a repeat of 1912, but the thought of a President Trump is very scary.

Sasse is one of the good guys and I can't blame him.
Fargobison

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 12:33:50 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2016, 12:59:29 AM by Fargobison »

Not sure where to put this, maybe there should be a thread for #NeverTrump endorsements....VA Rep Scott Rigell has also agreed to #NeverTrump...He is not running for re-lection this fall...

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/704517088833044480
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 12:57:43 AM »

Alright, I've retitled the thread so that it's an omnibus thread to report on any Republican who refuses to vote for Trump in the GE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies