African American "culture"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:18:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  African American "culture"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: What is your general view?
Favorable (R/L)

Unfavorable (R/L)

Favorable (D)

Unfavorable (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: African American "culture"  (Read 6589 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2005, 05:52:13 PM »

Apparently.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2005, 07:46:54 PM »

You can hardly call it a culture.  It is more like a psychological disorder.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2005, 07:48:37 PM »

Whoa
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I agree that excessive generalizing is a psychological disorder
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »

Yeah, I agree that excessive generalizing is a psychological disorder

Not really, I have found that more often than not, stereotypes are completely correct.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »

... A continuing legacy of the slavery era is the damage done to Black culture by destroying its roots and superimposing a Western culture upon it.   

More PC rubbish. Quit complaining about your past and lets move forward.

So blacks weren't stripped of their culture or you just care to ignore this  fact. I don't feel this should be any excuse for bad behavior but it does explain how things came to be this way.

No, the fact is many blacks adopted white culture upon their "confinement" here in the US. But really I don't care to much about it. People should quit blaming their current problems on some condition that happened over 100 years ago. Many of the blacks here just have a lousy work ethic and convienently blame it on "well my ancestors were slaves and I'm still oppressed". That argument is total garbage. It would be like me complaining about not still being rich because my family lost its' throne and title and therefore I'm going to be lazy and quit working because I'm owed something.

I object to the word "many."

I object to the word 'throne'.  What geneological huckster got ahold of you StatesRights?

Opebo,

I'm not getting into it with you in this thread. But let me tell you, I know my roots and where my people came from. So don't start your bullsh**t with me, boy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2005, 02:40:20 AM »

... A continuing legacy of the slavery era is the damage done to Black culture by destroying its roots and superimposing a Western culture upon it.   

So blacks weren't stripped of their culture or you just care to ignore this  fact. I don't feel this should be any excuse for bad behavior but it does explain how things came to be this way.

No, the fact is many blacks adopted white culture upon their "confinement" here in the US. But really I don't care to much about it. People should quit blaming their current problems on some condition that happened over 100 years ago. Many of the blacks here just have a lousy work ethic and convienently blame it on "well my ancestors were slaves and I'm still oppressed". That argument is total garbage. It would be like me complaining about not still being rich because my family lost its' throne and title and therefore I'm going to be lazy and quit working because I'm owed something.

I object to the word "many."

I object to the word 'throne'.  What geneological huckster got ahold of you StatesRights?

Opebo,

I'm not getting into it with you in this thread. But let me tell you, I know my roots and where my people came from. So don't start your bullsh**t with me, boy.

I apologize - I admit that was rude.  I'm just such a skeptic it tends to.. just come out.  I believe you yourself questioned my own tale. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2005, 02:43:44 AM »

Being black is a psychological disorder?

You think everything you don't like is a psychological disorder.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2005, 04:13:10 AM »

Gabu, you're a flaming liberal.  Admit it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2005, 04:41:51 AM »

Gabu, you're a flaming liberal.  Admit it.

THE TRUTH HURTS ME Sad
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2005, 05:15:15 AM »

Why is it that whenever Richius makes a poll he has to put R and L in one category and D in the other HuhHuh
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2005, 05:18:08 AM »

Well, we all originated from Africa anyway.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2005, 05:25:27 AM »

Unless your a wing nut and believe we all originate from a garden wth a very tempting fruit tree!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2005, 05:26:54 AM »

Unless your a wing nut and believe we all originate from a garden wth a very tempting fruit tree!

Given the places that they went after getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden, it's likely that even if that was the case, the garden was at least pretty close to Africa, anyway.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2005, 07:06:38 AM »

I think that the current African American culture is a huge impediment to further advances by black.

I think we need to get rid of the PC rubbish that calls it racist to admit this plain fact.

There's something seriously wrong with a culture in which most children are raised without fathers.  The results of this type of upbringing speak for themselves, if we only take our heads out of the sand and recognize it.

Much of the violence we see encouraged by the toxic elements of this culture are the result of hyper-masculinization that occurs when males are raised without any positive male role models.

I'd also say there's a difference between pointing out causes, and making excuses.  It's OK to point out causes, but not make excuses.  Blacks are not a monolithic group; American blacks are predominantly two groups -- those who have roots in the south, and those whose roots are in the Caribbean countries (fellow blacks call them "cocoanuts.") 

In all measures, the cocoanuts are doing better than the blacks with roots in the south.  That is, I believe, because they have a stronger family structure, and other positive aspects that flow from that.  They also don't have such a long legacy of oppression.

But while these are reasons, they can't be excuses.  We aren't helping blacks by excusing the very behavior that is the cause of many of their problems. 

Statistically, at this point in time, blacks who have a strong family structure, make an effort to educate themselves and their kids, and steer away from the toxic elements of black culture, are doing just as well economically and socially as the overall society.  This is the first time in history that this has been the case.  I know several blacks who fall into this category.  We should be celebrating this, and studying what these blacks have done so that we can emulate them and spread their success to more of the black population (and some of the white and latino population as well).  Instead, they are vilified, and no more strongly than in African American culture, as "Uncle Toms." 

It's no wonder blacks are having difficulty improving their position in society, and a culture that, in part, denigrates achievement, work and family responsibilities is a large part of the problem.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »

How many blacks really use that exact argument.  Slavery and racism up to the 1960's are big factors in what environment the random black man will end up in when he's born.  I've never heard the argument that slavery is currently keeping anyone down, but there isn't much diversity up where I live, so I'm not in position to be an authority on this.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2005, 12:11:36 PM »

I believe African-American culture has been one of the seminal contributions to our nation's life, and has enriched us and altered our perceptions immeasureably. However, it bothers me that some people can't accept its raw and unvarnished aspects, and consider themselves too refined for it.
Enriched us how exactly?  But teaching us to hate homosexuals?  (like most Jamaican music?)  Or perhaps to treat women like pieces of trash?  Honestly.  Please.  What did AA contribute?  You know what they say.  You can't spell crap without rap in it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
And WTF does this have to do with AA?  Perhaps you need to get a better education if you're unable to comprehend what she writes.  I don't seem to have that problem and English isn't even my first language.

I can't believe I came back from Tuscany for this, but here I go:

I could write volumes about the influence of African-American culture on America, and indeed they have been written by others. Nearly every form of non-classical music has been changed dramatically from the infusion of the African rhythmic concept into musical structure. If you recall, most new idioms of music from jazz to rock and roll were labelled "negro" music when they first emerged. Granted, none of these forms of music are my taste, but I would never deny their influence or value.

As for your comments about Jamaican music treating us to hate homosexuals and contributing to the denigration of women, I never had realized that you showed such an affinity for Catharine MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin in their truculent modes. By saying that African art forms are somehow inferior because they hold supposedly unenlightened views about sexual orientation and gender, you have shown a real example of liberal cultural elitism. Conservatives, take note, for this is echt snobbishness.

I would say that my knowledge of the English language is what leads me to believe that Ayn Rand is a bad writer, not my alleged lack of it. You can defend her spurious substitution of rhetoric for substance, but I will excuse it as an example of overzealous political devotion.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2005, 02:48:42 PM »

Do you think Migrendel pulls a muscle when he pats himself on the back?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2005, 03:13:52 PM »

Do you think Migrendel pulls a muscle when he pats himself on the back?

No, he's gotten that maneuver down pat pretty well by now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2005, 06:42:10 PM »

Why is it that whenever Richius makes a poll he has to put R and L in one category and D in the other HuhHuh

I agree with him on this one.  Any person who has libertarian politics and isn't voting Democrat might as well be a member of the Religious Party.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2005, 06:44:55 PM »

I can't believe I came back from Tuscany for this, but here I go:

Are you regretting your return to the 'Land of the Free'?  I probably wouldn't like Tuscany all that much, but I can agree living in the US is disgusting.

Just a few months to go for me..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies