Stop reacting to Trump with overt snobbery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:00:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Stop reacting to Trump with overt snobbery
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Stop reacting to Trump with overt snobbery  (Read 8703 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2016, 05:54:32 PM by RR1997 »

Let me rephrase myself. 20% of Trump supporters believe that the slaves shouldn't have been freed. Is that better? It's still disgusting either way. It really is.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2016, 05:57:41 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

When Trump supporters say that they support Trump because 'he tells it like it is', they actually mean 'I am racist and so is he.'

Your made up jargon serves you no good here. This is an embarrassing accusation that shouldn't be tossed around lightly.

Nathan - I commend you for your excellent thread. The usual suspects have hijacked it and turned it into something despicable.

e: Kal, thank you for your ability to understand the larger picture as well.

In raw numbers, Torie, don't you think more educated people support Trump than Kasich? Should be pretty obvious.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »

They should keep doing this. Thinking everyone that doesn't think like a GOP elite is an idiot and that they would be too stupid to even go to a caucus or primary and vote is part of the reason the Make America Great Again enterprise has been so successful.

So, thanks, I suppose...?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »

It's tempting to think only idiots supports Trump and while there are many idiots among his electorate, that's hardly the whole picture. There are wider reasons of Trump's appeal and we should try to understand them instead dismissing them en masse as morons. I certainly consider their support misjudged, of course.

Among my acquaintances who don't lean left, I'm seeing a number of people willing to ignore Trump's more offensive comments and positions in favor of "sticking it to the establishment".

This is part of what frustrates me so much. There are people voting for Trump just to send a message to Kevin McCarthy or Mitch McConnell, not taking into account what happens if he actually becomes President.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »

When Trump supporters say that they support Trump because 'he tells it like it is', they actually mean 'I am racist and so is he.'

I love it how a guy who has probably lied more than any other candidate running this year is the one that 'tells it like it is'.

Lewis Black nailed the Trump campaign all the way back in 2011.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/dlpw9d/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-back-in-black---trump-2012
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »

I am glad that so far I have channeled all my hatred for Trump on the upper- or upper-middle-class twits on this forum who support him because it's what kewl kidz do.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:21 PM »

the upper- or upper-middle-class twits on this forum

lol
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »

One more thing - you all seem to be using post-grad as a synonym of intelligent. Funny because I seem to use it as a synonym of another thing - selfish. You know what post-grad is in the GOP? M.B.A.! I don't know about you, but I don't see that as a shining beacon of intelligence (with a few exceptions). These are people probably making at least $150,000 a year by themselves and are very likely married to someone they met in their education path, who I'll conservatively say make $100,000. Complete shocker that they don't like Donald Trump! Shocked I tell you! They don't want someone who will make the system more fair! Wow! Maybe someone of equal ability to themselves might be able to do what they do too. The horror!

We act like these postgrads are of superior intelligence and know that upsetting the current system will be bad for all. No. The "poorly educated" are of equal selfishness if that's how you want to put it. They are actually doing something that's very good for them. Outrageous idea! Absolutely disgusting behavior.

Meanwhile, postgrads who actually do serious, intense study seem to tilt pretty heavily towards the Sanders wing of the Democratic Party, and they make up a bigger group than the GOP postgrads. Interesting phenomenon. Wonder why all these super intelligent Republican primary voters don't want to line up with the masses of even smarter people behind Sanders. Very curious...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2016, 08:04:47 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I reserve the right to be a "snob" to upper middle class white trash who live in Seabrook, New Hampshire or in some exurb surrounding Las Vegas. These people are detestable and have no excuse for their racist behavior and, more generally, their cultural boorishness. Keep in mind that many of Trump's supporters are the sort of white collar worker who thinks that he/she is superior to those welfare moms (read: racial minorities) and whining deviants.

Frankly, I much prefer Trump to his wealthier supporters, who are some of the worst people on this planet. That said, I respect the motivations of his more downscale supporters but, so far, I have not noticed much support coming from that section of the electorate. It seems to me that he's winning over more McMansion dwellers and wannabe McMansion dwellers than blue collar workers or whatever.

Why should I be polite to racist cretins who are voting for Trump solely because they are bigoted, hateful people? I refuse to do this. I believe it's undignified to love those who despise you. ag's take on this election is apt. here's a paraphrase: "I don't fear trump so much as I fear his supporters". Trump isn't particularly scary. He says what he knows will resonate with the electorate. If Trump wasn't exploiting these sentiments, another candidate would, which is why the fact that it resonates should elicit a moral judgement upon those who have the temerity to hate entire segments of the population to the point where they wish for families to be separated, for people to be tortured, for refugees to drown in the Mediterranean etc.  Trump isn't the problem. Most of Trump's supporters are the problem.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »

It seems to me that he's winning over more McMansion dwellers and wannabe McMansion dwellers than blue collar workers or whatever.

You're gonna wanna look a little closer then. He has the obvious union employee backing everywhere I see, which is admittedly a small geographic sub-sample.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 08:03:39 PM »

Yeah, but I consider it no accident, that Trump does better with folks with less education.

Of course it's not an accident. There is or at least ought to be a way to make the point that people in different socioeconomic positions are susceptible to different types of despicable rhetoric due to their different fears and insecurities without being a snob.

Man, you really have a problem with the words people use to describe the obvious.  Is parsing the words the real problem here or the fact a bunch of uneducated people want to ban all Muslims?  Maybe the language police should chill for a minute and let the xenophobe fire brigade do its thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »

The absurd thing, of course, is that the one striking feature of Trump's support is how even it is; there are particular types of places where he has polled particularly well (not all of them poor, by the way, quite the opposite in some cases; you think those outer Boston commuter towns in Southern NH are full of horny handed sons of toil?) and there are particularly types of places where he has been weaker... but... well... not that much weaker, actually. And you need to be aware that education is no longer (if it ever really was) an automatic proxy for class, even if there is still a relationship and also that people lie about their education levels and that the people who are most likely to are 100% Establishment Republican. By pretending that the Trump phenomenon can be solely explained by those people you not only commit the classic cardinal sin of American Liberalism but you misdiagnose it. Which is an even greater error, politically speaking...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »

Actually the even weirder thing is that Trump has been sometimes dickwaving about his relatively demographically balanced support, which is another indication that this election has become all very postmodern and weird...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »

You don't think education is indicative of income in the Republican Party (or perhaps more appropriately, in the Republican primary)

The Democratic Party is surely all over the place, but I have a hard time believing that correlation isn't incredibly strong on the other side.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »

And one with a readership that more than leans in a certain demographic direction. But then the headline was a cheap anti-American jibe rather than a classist one, so not actually ironic.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2016, 08:13:50 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

It seems to me that he's winning over more McMansion dwellers and wannabe McMansion dwellers than blue collar workers or whatever.

You're gonna wanna look a little closer then. He has the obvious union employee backing everywhere I see, which is admittedly a small geographic sub-sample.

I doubt that many unionized workers are voting in the Republican primary; I think you're mistaking foremen/lower-level management with workers for the most part. That could be true of the building trades unions or firefighter/police unions but they're not very representative of unionized workers as a whole.

For instance, Trump did fairly well in Dubuque, a bastion of the Democratic Party that has a working class and Catholic character, but turnout on the Democratic side was a bit higher, which calls into question the idea that many workers voted for Trump. While I'm sure that Trump is winning over the few unionized workers who vote in Republican primaries with big margins, this is a pretty small subgroup of the working class.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »

You don't think education is indicative of income in the Republican Party (or perhaps more appropriately, in the Republican primary)

Its more that while a Republican with a degree is doubtless comfortably off (at the very least) this does not mean that there are not very many Republicans who are also comfortably off but who do not have degrees. Of course they would be culturally quite different from those that do have them, almost certainly.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2016, 08:17:48 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market »

I doubt that many unionized workers are voting in the Republican primary; I think you're mistaking foreman/lower-management with workers for the most part. That could be true of the building trades unions or firefighter/police unions but they're not very representative of unionized workers as a whole.

The unionized people I've worked with are absolutely in no way management, I assure you that. Both may be culturally similar to the building trades union in a cultural sense though.

Its more that while a Republican with a degree is doubtless comfortably off (at the very least) this does not mean that there are not very many Republicans who are also comfortably off but who do not have degrees. Of course they would be culturally quite different from those that do have them, almost certainly.

OK, I could buy that there are many at least comfortable. That's fair.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »

But that maybe 'stop reacting to Trump with overt snobbery' is an even more important lesson for Party Establishment people like Torie et al.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »

Because surely if there's one thing the successful-owner-of-a-second-hand-car-dealership hates it is some lawyer or whatever who is doubtless no richer than he is acting as if he's all superior because of a few extra letters after his name and certificates on his wall. Particularly if this is America.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »

It's tempting to think only idiots supports Trump and while there are many idiots among his electorate, that's hardly the whole picture. There are wider reasons of Trump's appeal and we should try to understand them instead dismissing them en masse as morons. I certainly consider their support misjudged, of course.

Go to a Trump rally, I'm guessing you won't find a single college degree amongst the filth

LMAO.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »

I am glad that so far I have channeled all my hatred for Trump on the upper- or upper-middle-class twits on this forum who support him because it's what kewl kidz do.

It's gonna hurt a lot when TRUMP deports you.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »

Go to a Trump rally, I'm guessing you won't find a single college degree amongst the filth

LMAO.

Quiet. Adults are talking here.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »

I agree. Bashing Trump supporters for being "white-trash" and for being working-class and uneducated is immoral.

On the flip side, Trump supporters should stop attacking minorities, women, etc. They shouldn't consider calling a group of people drug dealers and rapists as 'telling it like it is' (even though immigrants commit less crimes on average than native-born citizens). 20% of them believe that we should bring back slavery.

I love it how it's a sin when we make fun of Trump supporters, yet these people can make fun of minorities as much as they want too.

This. All this. I bow down before thee.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure Trump has a lot of support among the so called petty bourgeoisie. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies