Issues of the future
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:13:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Issues of the future
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issues of the future  (Read 1605 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2005, 02:02:14 AM »

what issues will arise in the future that are very small or non-existent now and how will parties campaign on them?

Will the robot rights amendment pass?
Will cities almost become states within themselves and fight with their respective states?
Will there be an amendment to limit the amount of Supreme Court Justices?
Will the "Concentration Camp and Relocation Act of 2031 pass?

what do you think?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 02:19:00 AM »

"Will the Plan for Renewed National Purpose pass?"

(anyone who gets this is a nerd)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 02:33:23 AM »

what issues will arise in the future that are very small or non-existent now and how will parties campaign on them?

Will the robot rights amendment pass?
Will cities almost become states within themselves and fight with their respective states?
Will there be an amendment to limit the amount of Supreme Court Justices?
Will the "Concentration Camp and Relocation Act of 2031 pass?

what do you think?

You tell us, Houdini
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 02:38:55 AM »

Whether to give every American a living wage paycheck thanks to most of the jobs being replaced by robots.

http://marshallbrain.com/robotic-nation.htm
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 02:56:22 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 02:59:17 AM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Whether to give every American a living wage paycheck thanks to most of the jobs being replaced by robots.

Just thinking about this idea logically raises some serious issues, namely, the following:

What do businesses need to survive?  Money.
Where do people get money?  Jobs, if you're a worker, or customers, if you're a business owner.
How much money will people have if robots do everything?  Zero.

Zero jobs = zero money = zero surviving businesses.  Therefore, I don't see how robots could possibly take over every single human job, if we assume that business owners are even in the least bit rational.

Businesses are not like some heartless automaton that only cares about increasing output into infinity; they're entities run by humans and that depend on human customers to survive.  If robots heighten productivity, but make it so that nobody is capable of being a customer, they won't improve that business; they'll run it into the ground as it collapses due to not having enough buyers.  People who claim that robots will take over every single job under the sun are missing the critical point that businesses need humans in the form of customers as much as humans need businesses.

I personally predict that, eventually, the mechanization of businesses will reach an equilibrium, after which point any further mechanization will actually lessen profits due to not enough potential customers, and at which point mechanization will stop increasing.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 03:37:04 PM »

If one takes the line of logic to the extreme, you get the world described in Fred Pohl's 1954 novella "The Midas Plague". It's a great story satiring the consumer-driven lifestyle in a world with overproduction by robots.  Pohl stands the entire supply-demand model on its head, and it is still worth reading 50 years after its original publication.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 06:31:51 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 06:36:13 PM by Erc »

Just thinking about this idea logically raises some serious issues, namely, the following:

What do businesses need to survive?  Money.
Where do people get money?  Jobs, if you're a worker, or customers, if you're a business owner.
How much money will people have if robots do everything?  Zero.

Zero jobs = zero money = zero surviving businesses.  Therefore, I don't see how robots could possibly take over every single human job, if we assume that business owners are even in the least bit rational.

Businesses are not like some heartless automaton that only cares about increasing output into infinity; they're entities run by humans and that depend on human customers to survive.  If robots heighten productivity, but make it so that nobody is capable of being a customer, they won't improve that business; they'll run it into the ground as it collapses due to not having enough buyers.  People who claim that robots will take over every single job under the sun are missing the critical point that businesses need humans in the form of customers as much as humans need businesses.

I personally predict that, eventually, the mechanization of businesses will reach an equilibrium, after which point any further mechanization will actually lessen profits due to not enough potential customers, and at which point mechanization will stop increasing.

Well, unless we're dealing with monopolies here, factors like "if I fire my workers, they won't be able to buy my own goods" is never an issue for any employer.

Ultimately, there will always need to be people to control the machines.  And, in the long run, there will be enough jobs of such type for everyone to have one--otherwise, all this human capital goes to waste, which would be pointless--so either everyone has jobs controlling the machines, or it gets to the point where labor is so cheap they can undercut the machines (sort of along the lines of what you were saying).  In the meantime, there would be unemployment as people develop new skills--but there will always be room for humans to have jobs.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 09:22:17 PM »

"A Mind Forever Voyaging on strange seas of thought alone."

yeah I will get any Infocom reference you post.

Damn, I would love to get a lot of people around here to play that game and get a discussion of it going.

For those of you who have not played this real gem of a game, read about it here.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »

Well, unless we're dealing with monopolies here, factors like "if I fire my workers, they won't be able to buy my own goods" is never an issue for any employer.

Well, if every employer in the world fired all of their employees, as is the case with people that predict that robots will take over industry, it would certainly be an issue.

"A Mind Forever Voyaging on strange seas of thought alone."

f**ck yeah I will get any Infocom reference you post.

You win the prize. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies