Sanders best county in South Carolina?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:36:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders best county in South Carolina?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders best county in South Carolina?  (Read 1107 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »

What will be Senator Sanders best county in South Carolina? Will he even win a county in the state?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:39:51 PM »

Oh, my ignorant guess is Horry County.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »

Beaufort, maybe? If not, then maybe one of the white counties upstate like Pickens or Oconee. Lexington might be possible, too. It's really hard to say.
DC732
GOP732
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »

I guess Horry since it was Hillary's best last time around.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »

I went with Horry because it is in the Tidewater, and thus more moderate, has a relatively low black percentage, and is poorer than other county candidates along the cost. I rejected those two counties in the far west of the state, which are the whitest of all, on the theory that even the Democrats there are not social justice warriors.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 03:46:42 PM »

I'm going with Pickens County. Obama won it by 1% in 2008 over Edwards, but it is only 6.82% black. It is home of Clemson University, which is were I imagine Obama got most of his support in the county and where Sanders would do well.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2016, 03:53:13 PM by realisticidealist »

I'm going with Pickens County. Obama won it by 1% in 2008 over Edwards, but it is only 6.82% black. It is home of Clemson University, which is were I imagine Obama got most of his support in the county and where Sanders would do well.

Pickens was one of the most anti-Clinton counties in SC in 1992 as well. Marion, where Coastal Carolina is, was also one of his worst.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

Which one is the whitest?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »

One of the nothwest counties - Pickens, Oconee, etc.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »

Here you go with a real cool map of racial percentages of SC counties. That is the map I looked at to come up with Horry County. How Atlas. Smiley
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »

Here you go with a real cool map of racial percentages of SC counties. That is the map I looked at to come up with Horry County. How Atlas. Smiley
Pickens country is the whitest. It makes sense that it will be the best country for Sanders.
F_S_USATN

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »

I'm going with Horry as well..which will probably be 5% of the statewide vote
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »

Pickens country is the whitest. It makes sense that it will be the best country for Sanders.

But it is so conservative. But then, the few Dems in the county might be a different breed. We shall find out soon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »

Oconee
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »

Horry County.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:41:48 PM »

But it is so conservative. But then, the few Dems in the county might be a different breed. We shall find out soon.

Lots of the most conservative precincts in IA voted for Sanders.

I'm guessing the few pockets of Sanders support in SC will be in the Northwest and the college towns. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2016, 05:57:07 PM by President Griffin »

I'm going to say Oconee. Oconee is where Edwards is from - usually, I would say that the bulk of "Edwards 2008 voters = Clinton 2016 voters", but in the absence of Edwards and the Hometown Effect, Oconee would have been a very strong Clinton county (relatively speaking, by SC standards) in 2008.

In the South, I expect that generally, the strongest Clinton 2008 counties will be the strongest Sanders 2016 counties. I realize Horry was the only county Clinton won, but it is a completely different type of county - I think Clinton will pull a large share of the Edwards 2008 vote from there.

Oconee was Obama's worst county. Some could say that "fewer Obama voters = less Sanders popularity" due to a lack of liberals, but as I said, I think Clinton's 2008 counties in the South are going to go more for Sanders as a whole than the Obama counties (save for college counties). I'm not saying Sanders will win those Clinton 2008 counties, but they'll be among his strongest.

Additionally and as I recall, Oconee still has a lot of blue-collar work (possibly manufacturing?) that makes it more working-class than most of the rest of the state. I think you're going to see Sanders do his best in places like GA, NC, SC along their most northern areas as a contiguous bloc, and that includes Oconee.

He'll probably do very well in Horry, too (top 5), but I don't think it'll be his best county. Pickens could possibly be Sanders' best county. I think it'll be really close between Oconee and Pickens, with Horry maybe 3rd.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

I'm going to say Oconee. Oconee is where Edwards is from - usually, I would say that the bulk of "Edwards 2008 voters = Clinton 2016 voters", but in the absence of Edwards and the Hometown Effect, Oconee would have been a very strong Clinton county (relatively speaking, by SC standards) in 2008.

In the South, I expect that generally, the strongest Clinton 2008 counties will be the strongest Sanders 2016 counties. I realize Horry was the only county Clinton won, but it is a completely different type of county - I think Clinton will pull a large share of the Edwards 2008 vote from there.

Oconee was Obama's worst county. Some could say that "fewer Obama voters = less Sanders popularity" due to a lack of liberals, but as I said, I think Clinton's 2008 counties in the South are going to go more for Sanders as a whole than the Obama counties (save for college counties).

Additionally and as I recall, Oconee still has a lot of blue-collar work (possibly manufacturing?) that makes it more working-class than most of the rest of the state. I think you're going to see Sanders do his best in places like GA, NC, SC along their most northern areas as a contiguous bloc, and that includes Oconee.

He'll probably do very well in Horry, too (top 5), but I don't think it'll be his best county. Pickens could possibly be Sanders' best county. I think it'll be really close between Oconee and Pickens, with Horry maybe 3rd.

FWIW, Oconee has a median family income of 42K, and Horry 41K. So it comes down to whether poorer whites in each county are more likely to be Dems as a percentage in which county, when it comes to the income issue. And I have no idea as to that level of granularity. Are any white students at Clemson Democrats? If not many, then Bernie is left with some professors and graduate student teacher aides, when it comes to the "university" vote.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »

If he's below 40% - which is looking likely - I'm guessing that Sanders best county, at last among the larger ones, will be Charleston. That is probably where he has the highest floor.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »

I don't want to make any predictions about SC until NV happens.  Not because of mo' like other states because SC hardly ever cares what other states do.  (except in 2008 for obvious reasons)  No, I'm talking more about the reaction of the Clinton campaign to a Sanders victory in NV. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »

What's the profile of a typical white Democratic primary voter in SC?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies