Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:23:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 118658 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »

Might have the opportunity to go to f-ing California this summer, for free Cheesy
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »

I'm having yet another mental health crisis. I'm really getting sick of this.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »

My mother will be voting in the Massachusetts Democratic primary. Am currently unsure for who.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »

Very disappointing that it appears I will have to drop my accountancy minor with half a course to go. I scored by far the highest on the midterm in spite of taking a full year off from the first course of the financial accounting sequence, but it appears even that isn't enough to salvage the grade I need with my prof's cutoff standards which haven't changed since literally 1965. (Yes, this is severely ironic coming from someone who has spent countless time writing about the disaster of grade inflation, but it doesn't help when only one professor in a school works to counter it! It throws everything out of whack. We need a movement!)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »

I'm having yet another mental health crisis. I'm really getting sick of this.

I hope you feel better soon.  Very sorry to hear that. Sad
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2016, 12:16:08 AM »

Awww, Cathcon, sweetie, trying to understand, engage or combat the scourge of cognitive dissonance on mankind and politics will only give you high blood pressure and popped blood vessels. You need to tune them out asap!

Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss Smiley
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2016, 01:05:30 AM »

Awww, Cathcon, sweetie, trying to understand, engage or combat the scourge of cognitive dissonance on mankind and politics will only give you high blood pressure and popped blood vessels. You need to tune them out asap!

Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss Smiley

Yuppers. I have to deal with mindless people of various (but mainly liberal, although there's a neo-Nazi or two in there) ideologies every day, but generally try to tune it out. There's an old saying: you can't reason a man out of a position he wasn't reasoned into. So, sometimes it's better just not to try.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2016, 02:10:01 AM »

What would be the etymologically correct word for procrastinating when the work you're putting off is actually due tomorrow?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 11:27:32 AM by Virginia »

What would be the etymologically correct word for procrastinating when the work you're putting off is actually due tomorrow?

I don't see why procrastinate can't be valid up until literally the last second. However, given the urgency, I think we could possibly borrow part of a term from the 90s and call it super procrastinator.

Yuppers. I have to deal with mindless people of various (but mainly liberal, although there's a neo-Nazi or two in there) ideologies every day, but generally try to tune it out. There's an old saying: you can't reason a man out of a position he wasn't reasoned into. So, sometimes it's better just not to try.

And I in Florida. I can't tell you how many times I've had to listen to people call Obama either a Muslim, not a legitimate president or spew any other number of Fox News talking points Sad
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »

Well, I just realized that I literally have to find a job within this month, or completely regress back to my folks and probably my old job.

1 month out, and all I have to show for it is a car...

@darthebearnc: Kid, there are two Mormons right under your freaking nose on this bleeping site. You coulda' just asked.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »

Not sure, but I write a good chunk of my papers the day they're due. Tongue

Would never do that with a CS program though.  That would be a terrible idea.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »

Well, the paper was due by 10AM today and I did turn it in at 4AM, so I was comfortable. I've done far worse in terms of barely meeting deadlines, but staying up so late was not a very good idea considering I still have one more week of classes.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2016, 04:07:24 PM »

While out walking, I stopped a puppy from crossing a busy street.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »

Well, the paper was due by 10AM today and I did turn it in at 4AM, so I was comfortable. I've done far worse in terms of barely meeting deadlines, but staying up so late was not a very good idea considering I still have one more week of classes.

Interesting.  Most of my papers are due at 5 PM, so that's a little different of a situation.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »

Cast the first vote of my life for John R. Kasich (R-OH). Also, with the Michigan primary tomorrow, I'm trying to fan the flames of war. Too bad no one on Facebook will have the necessary depth of knowledge to know what I mean when saying "Let's hope that a state built on the UAW knows how to vote tomorrow!"

You'll always be an honorary member of the revolution. If the purges come, I'll be sure you're kept out of the camps.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »

Interesting.  Most of my papers are due at 5 PM, so that's a little different of a situation.

UCLA seems to do things a bit differently than what I was used to at Sciences Po. There, papers tended to be long-term project you had several weeks to work on and were expected to write 15-25 pages. Deadlines were usually at midnight.

Here at UCLA, some professors seem to love the "daylong exam" model, when you get your question and have a number of hours (8 in a case, 24 in the other) to answer it. Both end up being hectic for me, though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »

Also, thanks for the quote, Cathcon. Wink
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »

Here at UCLA, some professors seem to love the "daylong exam" model, when you get your question and have a number of hours (8 in a case, 24 in the other) to answer it. Both end up being hectic for me, though.

How does this work?  Or do you only have one class a day?

I remember a semester as an undergraduate where I had 9 hours of class on Thursday but only 3 on Friday.  If my 7:30am class on Thursday had a 8-hour or even 24-hour deadline, that would have been impossible without skipping other classes.

Although, I guess I had something similar, but not as bad.  Lab reports were due within 48 hours of my physics lab.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 08:25:13 PM by DavidB. »

UCLA seems to do things a bit differently than what I was used to at Sciences Po. There, papers tended to be long-term project you had several weeks to work on and were expected to write 15-25 pages. Deadlines were usually at midnight.

That UCLA model is utterly terrible, wow. It would just totally stress me out, even if writing papers has become my second nature (normal polsci grad student). I also don't really like papers of 20+ pages, because the focus will then often be on quantity instead of quality, but at least that's still manageable in terms of stress.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2016, 09:03:37 PM »

How does this work?  Or do you only have one class a day?

I remember a semester as an undergraduate where I had 9 hours of class on Thursday but only 3 on Friday.  If my 7:30am class on Thursday had a 8-hour or even 24-hour deadline, that would have been impossible without skipping other classes.

Although, I guess I had something similar, but not as bad.  Lab reports were due within 48 hours of my physics lab.

He's a doctoral student, so I wouldn't be surprised at one class in a day.

Depends. This quarter is somewhat busier than normal, so I have two three-hour classes on Tuesday (9-12 and 2-5, which make it a quite exhausting day overall), one on each of Wednesday and Thursday, and a two-hour one on Friday.

However, the daylong exams I got was yesterday (Sunday) so that wasn't a problem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2016, 11:15:55 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

That UCLA model is utterly terrible, wow. It would just totally stress me out, even if writing papers has become my second nature (normal polsci grad student). I also don't really like papers of 20+ pages, because the focus will then often be on quantity instead of quality, but at least that's still manageable in terms of stress.

Yeah, I don't like it very much either. I prefer having the time to work on my own schedule, even if that ends up doing a bit more in terms of quantity. I actually think that some of my best papers were in the 20+ range, but you're right that quantity doesn't necessarily entail quality.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2016, 10:53:53 PM »

Met Rubio today at his rally in Sanford, Florida! A lot of Hispanics at his rally too
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »

Finally booked my trip to America with my dad in the Summer; going to Boston, Philly, New York and D.C for 13 days which should be amazing. Only downside is not being able to drink but it's going to be amazing regardless. Hopefully also going to Berlin for a couple of days with my old flatmate-living the middle class dream.

On more pressing concerns have two mini-essays due in tomorrow, and one of them is one a vague concept about state power; politics essays always seem to be as vague as possible. I'll probably stay up to watch the Michigan results trickle in as I work on it
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2016, 08:19:02 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

It's difficult to accept how much of a grown-up I have to be in order to properly love and stick by my girlfriend. I have to accept that she's flawed and I'm flawed and she and I will always have differences. I have to accept that I'm not always going to be her favorite person and she's not always going to be mine in every given moment, that there will be times when we'll need to destress from each other with friends or by ourselves as well as the times when we'll need to destress from the world together, that she and I are flat-out not always going to feel the exact same ways about each other that we feel now. I have to accept that there are going to be things about each other that we can't embrace or rationalize and will simply have to forgive or ignore. I have to accept that when she makes promises to me and when God willing she one day says her vows to me I'll just have to trust her, and she has to accept the same about me. I have to accept that I can't be an entitled jerk like it's my job to her. I have to accept that all either of us will ever be able to do is our best.

I have to be an adult to be with her, and adulthood is scary and difficult to accept. But I think I can face it if she's by my side. Because I also have to accept that we love each other, and that this is what grown-up love is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »

Just donated to the Bernie campaign. I realized it's a bit hypocritical for me to act all excited and everything when I haven't been contributing in any way. Obviously it's not a big deal, but it's better than nothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies