PBS Milwaukee, WI Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:27:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  PBS Milwaukee, WI Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: PBS Milwaukee, WI Democratic debate @9pm ET **live commentary thread**  (Read 7955 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »

I keep becoming more and more sympathetic to Sanders.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:55 PM »

Bernie's closing statement goes to the core of his political philosophy.

Hillary's is just a list of policy positions.

One of the things that stuck with me from the 2008 campaign was Obama's constant reinforcement that, it's not about experience, or about what a person is promising you. It's about judgment, about where a person was when it counted. I'll always keep that in mind in campaigns going forward for the rest of my life. I trust Bernie's judgment, and because of many things from Hillary (her vote on Iraq being one) I can never trust her judgment. Ever.

His philosophy may not matter to Beet, but it matters to me.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:29 PM »

One of the things that stuck with me from the 2008 campaign was Obama's constant reinforcement that, it's not about experience, or about what a person is promising you. It's about judgment, about where a person was when it counted. I'll always keep that in mind in campaigns going forward for the rest of my life. I trust Bernie's judgment, and because of many things from Hillary (her vote on Iraq being one) I can never trust her judgment. Ever.

This is a great post, and for the same reasons I don't mind Rubio being relatively inexperienced.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »

Pretty amazing that some people think that the candidate who repeatedly gave boring nonanswers to questions on completely different topics won.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2016, 11:05:44 PM »

I like Bernie's philosophy. I think it's great. I just thinks it shows a certain naivety to talk as if the president is a dictator who can impose his vision on the country. Hillary sounds like someone who has actually tried to get things done and knows what it's like. She sounds more engaged with the world than him.

As to the debate, it was a tie. Clinton won the beginning and end, Bernie won the middle.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #280 on: February 11, 2016, 11:06:14 PM »

Obama never came off as ignorant as foreign policy as Sanders does. Judgment works in more than one way. Sanders would definitely be capable of making major foreign policy errors. One vote doesn't mean that he is qualified to be in Commander in Chief.

If he wins the nomination, his lack of foreign policy chops will be a major problem.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #281 on: February 11, 2016, 11:06:43 PM »

Pretty amazing that some people think that the candidate who repeatedly gave boring nonanswers to questions on completely different topics won.

I agree, Clinton should really try to answer the questions next time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #282 on: February 11, 2016, 11:07:58 PM »

I like Bernie's philosophy. I think it's great. I just thinks it shows a certain naivety to talk as if the president is a dictator who can impose his vision on the country. Hillary sounds like someone who has actually tried to get things done and knows what it's like. She sounds more engaged with the world than him.

This is a ridiculous non-issue.

Bernie won't get anything done with a Republican Congress. Hillary won't get anything done with a Republican Congress. So she is the one who is lying by claiming that she can. All Bernie is doing is stating what he believes in, and calling up to the American people to join in a movement to try and make it happen. He knows it's a long shot, but at least he's actually trying.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #283 on: February 11, 2016, 11:08:27 PM »

Obama never came off as ignorant as foreign policy as Sanders does. Judgment works in more than one way. Sanders would definitely be capable of making major foreign policy errors. One vote doesn't mean that he is qualified to be in Commander in Chief.

If he wins the nomination, his lack of foreign policy chops will be a major problem.

Like Jimmy Carter in 1976. 

Jimmy Carter was great on foreign policy.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #284 on: February 11, 2016, 11:10:34 PM »

Like Jimmy Carter in 1976.  

Jimmy Carter was great on foreign policy.

When you do actual research on him, yes somewhat, which is why upon reflection I deleted my original post.

Though, that's not how history remembers him.    
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2016, 11:10:56 PM »

Oh, come on. There's tons of people who will advise the next president on that, whether it'll be Sanders or Clinton or Rubio or Cruz. You might dislike his (lack of a) vision (I personally think his foreign policy vision would scare me much more if it would be coherent), but let's stop pretending that bad answers during a debate = bad foreign policy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2016, 11:12:02 PM »

Sanders certainly has way more foreign policy bullet points on his resume than Obama did prior to being elected President. But even setting that aside, all Obama did was expertly surround himself with smart advisers. He even openly campaigned as a person that governs with the advice of a council and not as The Decider. Bernie would almost certainly do the same. Hillary however has demonstrated herself to be a hawk on numerous occasions and is as prone to the muscle-flexing showmanship as the Right is, which I find worrying.

This is a ridiculous non-issue.

Bernie won't get anything done with a Republican Congress. Hillary won't get anything done with a Republican Congress.

Exactly - this is such a stupid position for the Hillary campaign to take. The only way she's getting legislation through a Republican congress is if she goes Bill Clinton on them and starts signing off on right-wing legislation.

Which is a distinct possibility.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »

On the Russia in Syria question, the world leader question, and Clinton's critique of Scott Walker not wanting to pony up the money for Sanders' free college plan, he basically just ignored the issue at hand and ranted about unrelated matters until he ran out of breath. Very typical for Sanders, but please don't try to bend reality so far.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2016, 11:14:11 PM »

Clinton never gets credit for her judgement being the first to propose credit default swap regulations and mortgage debt writedowns in late 2007, or supporting the a health care plan with an individual mandate in 2008 that later became Obamacare, or (and I know 99% of you will disagree with me on this) the fact that if Obama had taken out Assad in 2012 we wouldn't have ISIS or the refugee crisis today.

But I agree that her political judgement is atrocious. That's a valid reason to oppose her.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, I actually like that he's trying. Still, at some point he is going to hit reality, win or lose, and we have no idea of how he is going to deal with it. With Hillary, it's true she won't get her proposals either, but she shows awareness with everything that she says that it won't be easy. Bernie doesn't.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2016, 11:14:48 PM »

On the Russia in Syria question, the world leader question, and Clinton's critique of Scott Walker not wanting to pony up the money for Sanders' free college plan, he basically just ignored the issue at hand and ranted about unrelated matters until he ran out of breath. Very typical for Sanders, but please don't try to bend reality so far.

If you had watched that part about the world leaders question, you would see that Clinton didn't even attempt to answer the question at all and instead focused entirely on bashing Sanders for being the biggest Obama hater in the world.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2016, 11:15:29 PM »

Exactly - this is such a stupid position for the Hillary campaign to take. The only way she's getting legislation through a Republican congress is if she goes Bill Clinton on them and starts signing off on right-wing legislation.

Which is a distinct possibility.

Yup. I am increasingly starting to fear that a Hillary victory would bring us back to the nightmarish dystopia that the late 1990s-early 2000s period was for the left. The only way we can avoid that is if grassroots progressive never once stop holding her feet on fire. That's why Bernie's campaign will do a lot of good even if he doesn't win.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2016, 11:17:01 PM »

If you had watched that part about the world leaders question, you would see that Clinton didn't even attempt to answer the question at all and instead focused entirely on bashing Sanders for being the biggest Obama hater in the world.
At least she didn't waste my time giving me a lecture about FDR's political revolution. However, it is telling that you are struggling to find a single instance where Clinton just totally did not answer the question.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »

At least she didn't waste my time giving me a lecture about FDR's political revolution. However, it is telling that you are struggling to find a single instance where Clinton just totally did not answer the question.

I literally just told you one, and that was out of just the three that you had mentioned where supposedly Sanders was the one ignoring the question. But good job ignoring my point.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, I actually like that he's trying. Still, at some point he is going to hit reality, win or lose, and we have no idea of how he is going to deal with it. With Hillary, it's true she won't get her proposals either, but she shows awareness with everything that she says that it won't be easy. Bernie doesn't.

To the contrary. Hillary shows lack of awareness of the political reality, by thinking that politics as usual and the trite 1990s democratic campaigning style will lead her to achieve anything.

Bernie is aware of the fact that the only way we have any chance to move America forward is through by trying to inspire a massive popular movement, and energize people who normally don't participate in the political process.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2016, 11:21:41 PM »

I literally just told you one, and that was out of just the three that you had mentioned where supposedly Sanders was the one ignoring the question. But good job ignoring my point.
I mean, Clinton basically said she agreed with Sanders in regards to FDR and said she admired Mandela for his commitment to Reconciliation, something I think we can all agree with. Then she pivoted to attacking Sanders, rather effectively, leading to the biggest applause line of the night and what looked like a very sick Sanders.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #295 on: February 11, 2016, 11:24:17 PM »

Big loss for Hillary, she came across as very negative , attacked ridiculously, lost big on wall street, social security n Sanders was way better on immigration.

Her entire foreign policy judgement was wasted as she was too busy attacking Sanders rather than answering questions.

And it was ridiculous of her to say Obama time n again....I can't see what she gains out of it ?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #296 on: February 11, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »

Hillary won't get anything done with a Republican Congress. So she is the one who is lying by claiming that she can.

^Quoted for truth. 
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »

Hillary has gone raging banshee. It's official.

Ah yes, we have one candidate literally red-in-the-face, constantly shouting himself hoarse, hands waving all over the place, and the minute Hillary actually gets forceful in tone it's her that's the raging banshee.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »

Hillary won't get anything done with a Republican Congress. So she is the one who is lying by claiming that she can.

^Quoted for truth. 

Right because in the past 13 months nothing has gotten done with a Democratic White House and a GOP Congress. No Medicare reform with a Doc Fix and a shift to focus on the quality of care delievered over how many tests you can perform, no transportation bill, no NCLB rewrite, nope. Nothing. Zilch.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »

Hillary has gone raging banshee. It's official.

Ah yes, we have one candidate literally red-in-the-face, constantly shouting himself hoarse, hands waving all over the place, and the minute Hillary actually gets forceful in tone it's her that's the raging banshee.

Passion and Panic Mode are not one and the same, ClarkO
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies