Rangel Pushing for Draft Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:26:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rangel Pushing for Draft Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Rangel Pushing for Draft Again  (Read 4057 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2005, 11:50:43 PM »

You are characteristically confused, Opebo. The only reason that morons like Mr. Rangel are pushing for a draft is that enrollments are down. Therefore, your theory of "desperation" driving the poor to enlist in the military in sufficient numbers is wrong.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2005, 11:54:11 PM »

Not really.  The terrible idea is the aggression the US has been committing

No, I like that idea. The problem with a draft is that draftees inevitably have lower morale than volunteers. Perhaps higher financial rewards would heighten enrollment.

The Armed Forces needs patriots not profiteers.  Bribing someone is not the answer.  I believe the military should expand the service academies or create new models.  It has the potential of creating an all chiefs and no indians service but it should be explored.  
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2005, 11:56:55 PM »

Not really.  The terrible idea is the aggression the US has been committing

No, I like that idea. The problem with a draft is that draftees inevitably have lower morale than volunteers. Perhaps higher financial rewards would heighten enrollment.

The Armed Forces needs patriots not profiteers.  Bribing someone is not the answer.  I believe the military should expand the service academies or create new models.  It has the potential of creating an all chiefs and no indians service but it should be explored. 

Bribing someone may not be the answer, but they should be paid more than what they are & have more benefits as far as health & whatnot when they come home
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2005, 12:00:11 AM »

You are characteristically confused, Opebo. The only reason that morons like Mr. Rangel are pushing for a draft is that enrollments are down. Therefore, your theory of "desperation" driving the poor to enlist in the military in sufficient numbers is wrong.

No, the fact that there are still any enrollments in the face of the foolishness in Iraq is testimony to the desperation and lack of any options on the part of young people from the working class.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2005, 12:06:50 AM »

Yes, logically there should be literally zero enrollments... wait, what?  The volunteers know what they're facing when they join. It is not "desperation", by any means.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2005, 12:09:04 AM »

Yes, logically there should be literally zero enrollments... wait, what?  The volunteers know what they're facing when they join. It is not "desperation", by any means.

Yes, I agree that their own foolishness and acceptance of propaganda may have something to do with it.  Of course the fact that they are deprived of educational opportunities is well devised to abet this situation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2005, 12:59:02 AM »

Yes, I agree that their own foolishness and acceptance of propaganda may have something to do with it.  Of course the fact that they are deprived of educational opportunities is well devised to abet this situation.

That's obviously a highly subjective statement. What you consider to be "propaganda" is to others the absolute truth. You couldn't logically argue that they're wrong, unless you believe that your beliefs are completely objective. Of course, you couldn't argue that since you supposedly hate the concept of objectivism.

I think objective value is absurd.  All preferences are subjective.  I never said anything about facts.

For example poor die as cannon fodder for the rich - this is a fact.  However I would never dream of disputing a poor who preferred to die for the rich, only one who was so confused as to be unaware of what he was doing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies