Kerry's Military Records...?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:01:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Kerry's Military Records...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry's Military Records...?  (Read 3272 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2004, 11:44:44 AM »

Bush after some, er, ah, gentle prodding, released every single available National guard record about his service.

On Meet the Press Kerry pledged to do the same, yet today it appears that the Senator is backing away from that pledge.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/04/20/kerry_refuses_to_release_more_records?mode=PF
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 11:49:20 AM »

yes, Democrats are given more wiggle room on this issue
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 12:11:57 PM »

I personally thought the Dems shouldn't have made an issue of Bush's service/un-service and whatnot. They shouldn't press Kerry's record.

Then again, Kerry himself might need to get with the program if he keeps pointing to his Vietnam service for reasons why he should be elected.

I hope that guy's got a good campaign manager.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 12:18:04 PM »

yes, Democrats are given more wiggle room on this issue

I don't see how you can conclude Democrats are given more "wiggle room".  Kerry only backed away from his pledge yesterday, and it's already big news.  It took Bush 10 years before the media pressure made him release his military records
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 12:22:18 PM »

I don't want to go down in flames, but I just couldn't resist voting for that option.  Sorry, it was a poor joke.

My honest opinion is that I'm satisfied with what I know of George Bush's guard duty and of John Kerry's naval service.  They can release as much or as little as they want.  
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 12:28:19 PM »

I don't want to go down in flames, but I just couldn't resist voting for that option.  Sorry, it was a poor joke.

My honest opinion is that I'm satisfied with what I know of George Bush's guard duty and of John Kerry's naval service.  They can release as much or as little as they want.  

I agree.   This whole issue is stupid.  
It is frustrating to me, though, that this is basically the issue Kerry used to win the nomination.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 12:40:02 PM »

It's frustrating to ME when every fellow Democrat I talk to "doesn't like Kerry that much" and would "prefer Edwards".

Why did we nominate him again?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 12:40:32 PM »

It's frustrating to ME when every fellow Democrat I talk to "doesn't like Kerry that much" and would "prefer Edwards".

Why did we nominate him again?

Because he won Iowa.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 01:07:43 PM »

I'm not sure I'd push this if I were Bush or any Republican. Let Kerry squirm around with it, assuming others will keep on it, and the more Bush doesn't push it the more it becomes increasingly evident that it is NOT Bush who is questioning people's patriotism.

Then again, it may just go away. It didn't really work, after all, for Kerry when Kennedy, Rangle, and those individuals were shopping around for an issue which they could use to get at Bush on war and foreign policy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 03:11:55 PM »

yes
ShapeShifter

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 05:11:06 PM »

Kerry Camp Offers Some Military Records

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=
/ap/20040420/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_purple_hearts

Now, I think people should back off of this issue - I surely see it backfire on the Republican's end.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 06:16:55 PM »

Now, I think people should back off of this issue - I surely see it backfire on the Republican's end.

Backfiring on the Republicans? Why? If this is so unimportant now, why did Kerry, aside from the usual complaining, make this his issue during the primaries? And everyone got behind him because of it too.

I'm just wondering, that's all, because I've been thinking lately that if Kerry's standards were applied to Kerry, he'd be in real trouble.
DarthKosh

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 08:49:01 PM »

Now it is some not all like he said he would.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 09:22:25 PM »

Backfiring on the Republicans? Why? If this is so unimportant now, why did Kerry, aside from the usual complaining, make this his issue during the primaries? And everyone got behind him because of it too.

I'm just wondering, that's all, because I've been thinking lately that if Kerry's standards were applied to Kerry, he'd be in real trouble.

Suggest you check Insight magazine about Kerry's military record.

Also, what about his medical records?

Also, what about his wife's tax records (he used the house she bought with her money as collateral for campaign loans)?
Rococo4

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 01:01:08 AM »

She will have to release those tax returns..just a matter of time I believe.  We have the right to know where all candiates are getting their money from.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 07:54:09 AM »

I think it's more important to discuss what Kerry did right AFTER the war. What a disgrace.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 08:22:34 AM »

I suspect you are correct about Heinz-Kerry having to produce those records.

However, what about the 527s that are supporting Kerry?

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 08:25:42 AM »

I think that fair is fair... Bush did (after a while Smiley ) release all his records so should Kerry imho... he shouldnt have anything to hide...  
ShapeShifter

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 09:26:42 AM »

Kerry Campaign Posts Navy Records Online

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=
/ap/20040421/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_purple_hearts&cid=536&ncid=536

Bush was in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War, but did not serve in combat. Bush released hundreds of pages of his Vietnam-era military records in February to counter Democrats' suggestions that he shirked his duty in the Texas Air National Guard.

The White House said the documents comprise his entire military record. The records did not provide evidence that Bush attended drills while in Alabama during a period when Democrats have questioned whether he reported for service. The records did include a dental examination at an Alabama military facility.

Hey, at least Kerry served in combat.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 11:21:28 AM »

Being a veteran doesn't automatically make you a good president. FDR for example, no military record, yet won world war 2. Lincoln, no real military service, Civil War.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2004, 06:22:17 PM »

I put that he should release them b/c of Bush's allegations.  He has nothing to hide, so it doesn't matter.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2004, 06:33:49 PM »

I think it's more important to discuss what Kerry did right AFTER the war. What a disgrace.

he helped the US get out of a war we shouldn't have never sent a single soldier to. What's disgraceful about that?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 01:13:33 AM »

Stomping your medals in the dirt and starting the negative attitudes towards the veterans. Generalizing them and calling the majority of them baby killers. That's something to be proud of. Read his Senate Testimony.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 08:07:15 AM »

Stomping your medals in the dirt and starting the negative attitudes towards the veterans. Generalizing them and calling the majority of them baby killers. That's something to be proud of. Read his Senate Testimony.

#1 -- If the government has awarded you medals they are yours to do with as you please.  I find it far more disgraceful that the government stomps on its veterans.

#2 -- He didn't call the majority of them baby killers.  He said that their were attrocities being committed by American soldiers.  That was very true.  He never said they were being committed by the majority ... just that most were aware of them.

#3 -- It is the responsibility of every soldier to report what has happened to his superiors ... no matter whether that superior is his CO, a 4 star General, the President, or the United States Senate.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2004, 05:14:26 PM »

statesrights, I think what you meant to say was stomping some other guy's medals in the dirt is something to be proud of.  Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies