"Tells it like it is" and Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:18:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Tells it like it is" and Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Tells it like it is" and Trump  (Read 375 times)
yankeesfan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »

What is the origin of this phrase? In August of last year was when I first started hearing this phrase, and it was associated with Trump.  Even people who did not follow politics started repeating the same phrase.  Now, polls everywhere are testing this question.  

How did this phrase become associated with Trump?  Was it repeated in forms of media that I am not privy to?  I don't think I've ever used this phrase in my life.
mencken
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »

I believe that was originally Christie's schtick, before he starting insulting the base, leaving an opening for Trump to tell it like the modal Republican voter wants to believe it is.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »

"Telling it like it is" isn't actually, you know, telling it like it is. It is this feeling - a brunt, disregard for feelings of the people you oppose because the thing you are saying is so obviously needed even if it hurts some people, we have to say it. Whether we actually need to or not is irrelevant - especially in TRUMP's case where a large part of what he says is not true or even ridiculous. He gives you that emotion.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:28:08 AM »

"Telling it like it is" isn't actually, you know, telling it like it is. It is this feeling - a brunt, disregard for feelings of the people you oppose because the thing you are saying is so obviously needed even if it hurts some people, we have to say it. Whether we actually need to or not is irrelevant - especially in TRUMP's case where a large part of what he says is not true or even ridiculous. He gives you that emotion.

Say what you will, Trump's ability to speak his mind is one of the things his supporters like about him. For Clinton to take a position on anything, she has to figure out what plays well with people and how to best spin things. Trump will tell you what he thinks. Sure, you can disagree with him or dislike his style, but you can't say he's not willing to answer a question that's put to him or give voice to an unpopular position.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:29:47 AM »

According to the exit poll, for 14% of Iowa Republicans the quality that matters the most when picking a candidate is "tells it like it is". These are the results for this category:

66% Trump (24% election results)
11% Cruz (28%)
  6% Carson (9%)
  4% Rubio (23%)
  4% Paul (5%)
  3% Fiorina (2%)
  3% Christie (2%)
  1% Bush (3%)
  1% Kasich (2%)
  0% Santorum (1%)
  0% Huckabee (2%)
Pages: [1]