The threat of a solar storm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:35:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The threat of a solar storm
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The threat of a solar storm  (Read 415 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »
« edited: January 31, 2016, 07:19:07 PM by Simfan34 »

This is the one "doomsday" scenario I'm genuinely worried about. And it's not something that might happen, but something that will. It's not one of those things that happens every 2 million years or every 200,000 years-- just 150 years! It already has-- less than two centuries ago, and the only reason it wasn't catastrophic was because we weren't really using electricity then. (!!!)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[link]

The power could be out for months! Years! And this could happen at any time! It's hard not to panic every time I think about this. One of the (relatively) worse things about such an event is that the Chinese may get off relatively lightly. So the geopolitical costs would be unevenly distributed. And there's little we've done about it. The smart grid, Three Amigos, etc, would help, but work on those has been predictably slow.

What say you?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »

Solarstorm has attacked this forum already far too often, hasn't he?

Anyway, no, I don't really feel threatened by this idea (not sure if Europe is even at risk btw), just as I'm not scared of a terrorist attack. Chances are slim, but if it it happens, it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Therefore, it's best not to worry about it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:15:40 PM »

Has anyone read "One Second After" by one of Newt Gingrich's ghost writers? It's fiction about the same general results (it was an EMP instead of a solar storm) and the alarming break down of society. Our electric grid is woefully unprepared, and once the power goes out you're going to have a lot of otherwsie preventable deaths. Diabetics, organ transplantees, persons with certain heart or renal disorders, chemotherapy patients, people with feeding tubes or on oxygen, and are just some of the groups whose continued existence depends upon reliable electricity and supply chains. Factor in increased criminal activity, decreased nutrition and hygiene, more accidents from people cutting wood, mass migrations towards resources, and we're talking serious casualties. Roscoe Bartlett did a lot of research on this when he was in Congress.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2004/08/the-electromagnetic-pulse-commission-warns-of-an-old-threat-with-a-new-face
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:16:37 PM »

Anyway, no, I don't really feel threatened by this idea (not sure if Europe is even at risk btw), just as I'm not scared of a terrorist attack. Chances are slim, but if it it happens, it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Therefore, it's best not to worry about it.
Europe is under just as much threat as any other place that uses electricity.

I look at it like I look at the Yellowstone Caldera and EMP attacks, worst case for any of them, combined with a sh**tty reaction from the powers that be and yeah, we're all hosed.  But a more realistic case, combined with a mediocre response from the powers that be and it will just suck for a bit for the affected, but we'll get through.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »

Our society might be seriously screwed up, but I'm pretty sure it would survive a couple months without electricity.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 10:00:39 PM »

Yellowstone is one of those "one-in-500,000-years" things. This is, as I said, one-in-150. It's statistically probable. Chances are not slim.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »

I'm still worried about this!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »

Would Faraday Cages provide protection?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »

yes, if it's set up right, it would be 100% effective against anything <edit>EMP related </edit>. Just putting whatever you want to protect inside a metal box will help.

The solar threat is inevitable and could be catastrophic if it's a bad one, but not civilization ending.  The worst possible EMP attack on the US (that wouldn't just be a precursor to WWIII) would be an inconvenience and a little expensive.  It will be much worse for whatever organization pulled it off.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies