Ideas for a New Strategy Game?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:01:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ideas for a New Strategy Game?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ideas for a New Strategy Game?  (Read 1173 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
« edited: January 31, 2016, 04:21:34 PM by Lumine »

Evening, gentlemen!

It's been three to four months since I had a bit of a breakdown after the pressure of university due to the complications in the aftermath of a long strike, and I managed to end The Lion and the Rose while sadly leaving Fear and Loathing in 1972 behind. Alas, now I have the spare time, the enthusiasm, and above all, I feel rested and interested in hosting a new game. Some of mine work (Balance of Power, Clash of Kings, The Lion and the Rose), some end soon (Fear and Loathing) and some fail (Roman Republic), but altogether I do like the whole process.

The issue is that I lack a firm idea for an election or strategy game. I do wish to do another ASOIAF Game, but for obvious reasons that will wait until After the False Spring is over. So far, I have gathered a few ideas:

-Balance of Power Sequel: Not following the 1901 Game storyline, but a game with similar mechanics taking place at a later date. The issue, of course, is to choose a starting date (The Twenties? The Cold War? The XIX Century?).

-Another Historical Game: Of the more medieval kind, set on the War of the Roses, or Renaissance Italy.

-Election Games: I could always finish Fear and Loathing in 1972' if people still wish to see an end to that game. Alternatively, 1976 and 1988 are fun primary seasons.

So, any thoughts? Any ideas for games people would like to see?
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »

Hmmm...

Lotr?

Star Wars could be pretty fun with all the revitalization.

Also I've been playing an end of the world RP that's pretty fun, we're doing zombies but there's also aliens, rise of the machines, and wrath of the gods.

There's only one other good ASOIAF setting honestly, and that's Dance of the dragons, if we're going by canon and such. I started a game not too long ago more focused on player created characters and a looser timeline while still using some of the bigger houses. People seemed to enjoy it but alas, I was not able to finish it. It was also pretty heavily focused on city management (population growth played into it) and realistic army proportions and stresses of a military campaign on resources.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/126446-diplomacraft-the-north-game-topic/
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/126682-diplomacraft-the-north-year-0001-turn-2/
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/127012-diplomacraft-the-north-year-0001-turn-3/
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/127486-diplomacraft-the-north-year-0001-turn-4months-10-12/
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/128000-diplomacraft-the-north-year-0002-turn-5-months-1-3/

I ended up getting screwed over by job and life and had to essentially end it, but it was really starting to heat up. Characters had stats, and each region had their own sets of resources and each people had their own traits. I also borrowed the idea of crises from your games to give players something to do other than just deal with eachother, and had some overarching events like the migration of settlers from another region(which turned out to be Braavos after a die roll), famine, disease, and of course a certain group of cold gentlemen were to make an appearance at one point. We also had a king beyond the wall who was rapidly modernizing parts of the deep north.

Sad to see it go but alas alas...

Anyways I think Lotr could be fun with a similar setting as there a deal of factions in that and the characters and times are well documented. Star Wars less so because of lack of characters to pull from and not a lot of factions imo, but there would be ways to spice it up a bit and divide things.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »

Fascinating game, Leonardo!

The whole Star Wars concept was a good one too, although since it was Enduro's idea I decided to go for another route. LoTR, I'm afraid, it's not something I know much about, not having read the books or seen the movies, so I'd be unable to take part on that.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »

1972!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

Hasn't too much time gone by? I mean, I'd be happy to finally end the game and simulate the general election, but would the players be willing to return?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »

Hasn't too much time gone by? I mean, I'd be happy to finally end the game and simulate the general election, but would the players be willing to return?

I've actually been waiting for months for the game's return and would happily pick up where we left off. I imagine that YPestis and Tmth likely feel the same, but you should contact them just in case.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »

Fascinating game, Leonardo!

The whole Star Wars concept was a good one too, although since it was Enduro's idea I decided to go for another route. LoTR, I'm afraid, it's not something I know much about, not having read the books or seen the movies, so I'd be unable to take part on that.

Do to my inexperience as a GM, I'd be happy if you helped me in making Star Wars; of course, I wouldn't start the game until After the False Spring ends. As for LOTR, the movies sum it up good, I can fill you in on stuff you don't understand.

I personally love doing games set in fictional worlds; I'd be open to a West Wing election game, or a marvel civil war game.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »

I've actually been waiting for months for the game's return and would happily pick up where we left off. I imagine that YPestis and Tmth likely feel the same, but you should contact them just in case.

Huh. Somehow, I just thought the non-end due to me breakdown had actually killed all enthusiasm... PM's will be going to Tmth and YPestis as we speak, and depending on that Fear and Loathing might as well return to get a proper end.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »

Lotr is very open ended which is one of the best parts about it; we'd have a lot more in game control as to how things go and prove very manipulable for the GM because the gods have a very real presence in the early days of middle earth. Things could get super epic if someone created rings of power or corrupted the silmarils for example.

The same goes for Star Wars, though I think playing individual characters would be better in that setting, such as a planet's senator or ruler rather than as whole wings of the empire.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »

I like the 1988 idea,or you could try an election game in another country, such as the UK, Canada, Australia.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »

I like the 1988 idea,or you could try an election game in another country, such as the UK, Canada, Australia.

Not a bad idea at all, there was an attempt to make a UK Election Game earlier (I believe it was Rpryor's idea), although it didn't seem to garner enough players. In any case, I have positive responses from most of the Fear and Loathing players, so I have made up my mind to bring it back and end the actual election.

From there on (as it shouldn't take too long), I'll most certainly create a new game, but I would hope more ideas would be posted here so there's variety (and perhaps, so more people can host more games of their own).
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »

Not a bad idea at all, there was an attempt to make a UK Election Game earlier (I believe it was Rpryor's idea), although it didn't seem to garner enough players. In any case, I have positive responses from most of the Fear and Loathing players, so I have made up my mind to bring it back and end the actual election.

From there on (as it shouldn't take too long), I'll most certainly create a new game, but I would hope more ideas would be posted here so there's variety (and perhaps, so more people can host more games of their own).
Are you ok if I start my own election game.  As well what would some suggestions be for how I could get my game to be more successful, past ones I have started have not gained much traction.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »

Are you ok if I start my own election game.  As well what would some suggestions be for how I could get my game to be more successful, past ones I have started have not gained much traction.

By all means! The more games the more interest, I would say.

Giving advice is hard, in the sense that my knowledge on American Politics is still somewhat limited and I have to use a lot of instinct when running a game (in this case, I looked at the more successful games for inspiration). A lot of it depends on how good and active player base you had (and I had a brilliant one for Fear and Loathing), but my main advice is not being afraid of innovating and introducing new dynamics or events, and above all, research.

I read a few books and a lot of media articles to prepare for the 1972 Games (and I apply the same concept to most games) to get a good grasp on detail, because that can make the different on how many things you introduce, on what to simulate and what not, and so on. As long as the game is interesting, remains active (and not taking the delays I often take) and the players remain interested and engaged, it should certainly work out.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 06:04:46 PM »

A Balance of Power game sounds fun once you finish F&L.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »

Same, I really enjoyed the first one. I'd also be down for something taking place earlier historically.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »

Same, I really enjoyed the first one. I'd also be down for something taking place earlier historically.

I'd certainly like to give it a try! The issue, of course, is finding a suitable starting date, which is a bit hard to do... Any suggestions?
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 09:12:49 PM »

LOTR would be awesome, I call dibs on Orcs Smiley
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »

On another forum, we did a Nation-State draft (google Insidehoops and Nation State Draft). Basically, you draft a president/dictator, heads of state, generals, scientists, economists etc... Now that I've wrote this out, I realize it's not a strategy game though.. we just drafted players and then voted on best overall constructed NS. Just an idea though.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 12:57:40 AM »

LotR would be pretty interesting. I'm thinking of starting one.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »

I'd play for sure. Do you know what setting you might choose?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »

I'd play for sure. Do you know what setting you might choose?

Well honestly, we know what happens in the southern theater of the War of the Ring. I was thinking of setting it in the War's northern theatre, that way, we use some of the factions that don't get as much of a spotlight on them.

Not to mention that the northern front was hugely important, because if Sauron had taken Erebor, he would've been able to outflank Gondor and destroy it under his northern army, his eastern army, and Saruman's army, and if Gondor fell, that was pretty much it.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »

I would like a UK Sim
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

twenties
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 12:34:38 AM »

I've started an Australia one.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies