FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:23:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE  (Read 2058 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2005, 02:35:32 AM »

As Editor Emeritus of The Region, it is my pleasure to open up this first presidential debate for the June 2005 elections.  I'd like to start the debate by asking each presidential candidate who wishes to participate to make a single introductory post in this thread by 8pm EDT today.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 06:40:16 AM »

I'll participate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:46:53 PM »

I would like to participate in the debate. When will it begin and end? I will be away this weekend.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »

I'll participate, but I'll be out of town Saturday-Wednesday with some computer access, but not total.  But it shouldn't affect my participation.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 06:54:43 PM »

Yay, I'm a master debator.

Siege
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 07:25:02 PM »

Ugh, damn flood controls kept my post from going through a few hours ago!  Can I still participate even though it is 24 minutes passed the deadline?
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »

Ugh, damn flood controls kept my post from going through a few hours ago!  Can I still participate even though it is 24 minutes passed the deadline?

I doubt any Presidential candidates will be barred King.

Siege
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 08:06:27 PM »

Sorry, I too just noticed this post.  I will participate, of course.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 09:52:28 PM »

I was waiting to see who else might choose to show up, but I think we'll start now with the first question.  I wish to commend the candidates for so far running a fairly clean campaign, but clean campaigns while they might be inspiring and civic-minded, tend to rather boring.  Therefore my first question to you is:

Of the declared Presidential Candidates, which one would be the worst one for Atlasia to choose this June and why?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 10:05:56 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Moderator, for taking time out of your schedule to moderate this debate and I would like to thank my opponents for showing up. I look forward to a great debate.

The candidate I believe would be the worst to choose in June would be Harry.

Now I like Harry on a personal level. However, there are many issues concerning his past activities that I don't believe he could be a strong President.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 10:07:07 PM »

It is the first question and you can already tell this won't be a civilized debate! Wink

Anyway, it is my opinion that there really is no "worst" candidate in this race.  Some elections you may hear "This is the worst election we've ever had," but I think this time around it is an exact opposite.

Now, if I really have to choose a ticket for who is the worst candidate Atlasia could choose, I would have to go with John F. Kennedy.  It is not that he won't be a good President, in fact we know he would be a good President because he was a good President, but he just doesn't seem to take his campaign seriously at all.  I just don't see how you can vote for somebody who doesn't take his campaign seriously.  

It means you are voting for somebody who doesn't care, which means you don't care.  I don't think that is right, you should care.  It is important.

This is why I am running,  I care about what happens on the week of June 22nd.  I want to make sure you are better off four months from now and you can look back and say "I took my vote seriously and now I my life is better."
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 12:17:15 AM »

Well I don't think any candidate is *bad,* but I guess the worst would be Keystone Phil because of his dangerous conservative policies, many of which conflict with mine.
However, I really dont like this question, as I have resolved to not do negative advertising.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 02:04:51 AM »

Like Harry, I woud like to stress that I don't believe any of the candidates is really "bad", but I think that John Dibble would make the worst President, followed, perhaps (no offense) by Harry and Keystone Phil.  Atlasia needs a strong executive, who is willing to use the power of government to enact a proactive vision for Atlasia.  This is where I think Dibble would fail.  Atlasia also needs a uniting leader.  This does not mean a spinless figure head, but rather someone who knows when to take strong stands, but also how to include others and above all, someone who can dissagree with others while not being disagreeable.  I feel that both Harry and Phil would fail at this.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 06:58:05 AM »

I apologise for not arriving earlier, I was cornered by a gang of carrier pigeons who oppose the use of pigs to lead their deliveries.

In regards to who the worst of the declared candidates are. I would say personally that it was that young upstart rapscallion None of the Above. He has run in almost every election in Atlasian history and lost for a reason, None of the Above is a threat to National Security, he will let the terrorists in, he opposes Torte Reform and supports the implementation of the buffalo as a form of currency rather than the chicken. Clearly this is not safe for the Atlasian economy, buffalo are far too scarce.

I think the other candidates would all do a fine job as a powerless figurehead for Atlasia. I was told recently that I have been the only President to actually wield my powers and I will do it again if elected because we elect a President for a reason, and that reason need be filled.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 11:31:58 AM »

Those who haven't yet answered my first question, SHAME ON YOU!, but you can still answer it even though I'm now asking my second:

What is the one thing you hope to do as President that you hope will have the greatest impact on the economy of Atlasia?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 01:10:03 PM »

The one thing I hope to do as President that will have the greatest impact would be the opening of the process to the people and a fight against elitism.

Some of my opponents have said that I am hard to work with and take offense when I have a disagreement with someone. That is not true. I may disagree with some currently elected officials but if elected, I will work with every, single official. They could have voted for me or campaigned every day against my campaign, I will not care. Working with everyone will help put an end to elitism in Atlasia and make the process more open for everyone.

To address what Senator Supersoulty stated, Yes, I know that I have had some intense arguments in the past and even still today with some fellow Atlasians. It has occured to me that I might seem like someone who cannot accept when someone disagrees with me. That is far from the truth. I stand up for what I believe in. I do not back down. I fight what I believe is wrong and that's why I see myself as the strongest candidate. This whole idea that I look for arguments is ridiculous. I think a few people don't like how much I believe in something and defend it so they make it seem like I enjoy arguments gone bad. I hope my opponents and the voters understand that.

Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 04:18:20 PM »

Probably Harry or Dibble. Harry, even if no proof has been presented has a certain reputation as being less than 100% moral. Dibble, on the other hand is a fine candidate, but as a Libertarian he may reduce the strength of the already rather weak seat of the President.

Improve Atlasia's workforce to better prepare them for the needs of the 21st century. This means reforming the education to focus more on what future employers need and stopping Atlasian jobs from being moved to cheap labour havens.

Also, I'd like to reduce the power of corporations in the political sphere, which would in my opinion primarily help the political system but likely also help the economy by making it more competitive.

Siege
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 04:19:48 PM »

Probably Harry or Dibble. Harry, even if no proof has been presented has a certain reputation as being less than 100% moral. Dibble, on the other hand is a fine candidate, but as a Libertarian he may reduce the strength of the already rather weak seat of the President.

Improve Atlasia's workforce to better prepare them for the needs of the 21st century. This means reforming the education to focus more on what future employers need and stopping Atlasian jobs from being moved to cheap labour havens.

Also, I'd like to reduce the power of corporations in the political sphere, which would in my opinion primarily help the political system but likely also help the economy by making it more competitive.

Siege
Great answer
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 06:17:14 PM »

Now I like Harry on a personal level. However, there are many issues concerning his past activities that I don't believe he could be a strong President.

Harry, even if no proof has been presented has a certain reputation as being less than 100% moral.

Now because some newer members of the forum may not be aware of what Phil and Siege are referring to, I will address their comments.  At one time in my past, I resigned from the vice-presidency in order to run for the Senate because there was no other Democratic southerner in those days.  Some people decided to try to make some elaborate story about an under-the-table deal, but there was no truth to the rumors.  It is rephensible that this rumor has persisted, but, alas it has.  As it has been shown over and over again to have no basis in fact, I would ask that my fellow candidates not bring this up.  If you want to attack my policies, do so, but don't attack me stories that aren't true.  I hope that I shall not have to address this again.

Anyhow, answering the question, one thing that I will help the economy by expanding our space program, which will add thousands of jobs in states all across Atlasia.  Also, my education plan will better equip the future generations to find jobs.  In addition, by canceling the binding debt of third-world nations, and encouraging other nations to do the same, I will cause third-world nations to rise and improve, which will be good for us all.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 08:09:41 PM »

Sorry I haven't answered till now - I was unaware the debate had actually started.

Anyways, I'll have to go with Supersoulty. Nothing personal, but this is entirely based on ideology. He is somewhat of a populist in my view, and I don't feel that's what this nation needs. Growth of government is not a good way to ensure freedom. Freedom is what has made this nation great, not government welfare programs and high taxes. I believe that a smaller federal government and a policy of regional rights is what would be proactive for this nation, not innefficient and wasteful beauracracy.

It's been implied here that I'd be a weak leader, a figurehead no less - I feel such is utter trash. I take strong stands on issues, and I am always dedicated to the freedom of my fellow citizens. And it must be known that true strength involves more than just making decisions, but knowing when to show restraint in the use of power. I would do what I feel is right for this country, not what is politically popular.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »

What is the one thing you hope to do as President that you hope will have the greatest impact on the economy of Atlasia?

Well, in the short term, I would hope to decrease unnecessary regulations on businesses and decrease taxation. I believe strongly in free market principles and think that they are the best way to build a strong economy.

In the long term, I would hope to decrease unnecessary and highly inefficient federal regulation and beauracracy in regards to education. As far as I'm concerned, federal meddling in education - which to me is clearly a local and regional issue anyways - has only created a burden on schools and decreased the quality of education. I say this is long term simply because it will take time for the students affected by this to enter the workforce.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 10:37:41 PM »

Well, as those of you who are familiar with me know, my economic plan is two fold.

First, I aim to decrease unnessesary regulations on business, lower taxes (just a bit), increase our trade with other democratic nations.  I believe that this program will increase revenue from economic growth, while keeping taxes at acceptable rates.

At the same time, I want to raise penalties for those business that violate common sense business regulations and use the money that we get from a more open free market to expand our social programs, like welfare, social security, medicare and education and pumping money directly into areas that have suffered from the possible side effects of those policies.

I would have to say that my most important plank is using education as a means of aliviating poverty and securing our future.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 10:38:40 PM »

One of my opponents has just promised you an economy for the 21st century that the economical right cannot provide, but we cannot have an economy for the 21st century if we do not reform from the progressive "big government" idealism of the past.  We cannot and will not be competitive if we continue to use the 20th Century regulatory, social welfare, and taxation law of the 1930s.

If you elect me in June, I promise to you a plan that will expand both employers' expansion capabilities and workers' benefits.  I promise to every small businessman freedom to flourish and compete with the corporate world.  I promise to every working class citizen fair wage employment.  I guarantee high quality health coverage, a Social Security system that is secure, and educational reform that is more than the "throw money at it and hope they pass all the tests" plan offered by the left.

In the next four months, we can continue to ride the 73-year-old "New" Deal in circles around the past or we can take a new route into the future and get this country moving again.  Decide on June 22nd.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 10:50:47 PM »

It was interesting how some of the candidates chose to answer the question about economic impact in rather general terms.  Now for my third question.

What is the one thing you hope to do as President that you hope will have the greatest impact on the security of Atlasia?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 10:59:12 PM »

What is the one thing you hope to do as President that you hope will have the greatest impact on the security of Atlasia?

Simple changes to cabinet structure:  Appoint John Ford Secretary of Defense, WMS as Secretary of State, abolish the Treasury into Forum Affairs, and replace the empty seat with an office of Ambassador to Internet Micronations which will serve as diplomatic advisor to me. :

Of course, any changes to military funded will be acted up when necessary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies