"Too Liberal" Conservative Ad Targets Sanders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:52:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Too Liberal" Conservative Ad Targets Sanders
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Too Liberal" Conservative Ad Targets Sanders  (Read 1843 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In my opinion, it's dumb. All of the images of Sanders have him giving a speech or shaking hands. Only the wording is negative; the only negative imagery is of the "super-rich" hugging and the money falling at the end. It actually has college graduates hugging and smiling and doctors talking to patients like you'd see in a drug commercial. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it actually supports Sanders, as it lays out his plan and says who it would support. It says things like "No big insurance companies..." and "Payed for by raising taxes on Wall Street, big business, and the super-rich." like those are inherently bad things, that we should all see and go "Oh, well now that you put it that way."

Am I wrong? What do you make of this? Was it a good ad? Effective? What is your response?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XsWkwakVlA
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/25/bernie-sanders-a-target-of-ads-by-republican-donor/
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:07 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2016, 11:39:21 PM by Teddy Lee, Bass God of the West »

Isn't that the guy that did this?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-17/news/chi-emanuel-antiobama-ads-would-be-insult-to-nation-20120517_1_ricketts-family-joe-ricketts-rahm-emanuel

EDIT: Watched the ad. It is really, really weird.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:59 PM »

Everybody looks completely happy. I don't get this.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »

A lot of these guys' ads are utterly horrible. Check out this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-byWttX1tU
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:44:38 PM »

Probably will have little to no impact.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:50:20 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2016, 11:56:49 PM by Lief 🐋 »

Ummm, guys, this is obviously a positive ad (disguised as a negative ad) meant to help Sanders. Every day it becomes more and more obvious that conservatives are salivating at the chance to run against this guy in the general and win a 40-state landslide.

Claire McCaskill, the master of this strategy, is even calling this out!

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/25/bernie-sanders-a-target-of-ads-by-republican-donor/
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:36:18 AM »

How is this even an attack, it made me support Bernie more...
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:42:22 AM »

Ummm, guys, this is obviously a positive ad (disguised as a negative ad) meant to help Sanders. Every day it becomes more and more obvious that conservatives are salivating at the chance to run against this guy in the general and win a 40-state landslide.

Claire McCaskill, the master of this strategy, is even calling this out!

Claire's reelection bid was in 2012, not 2010 Smiley
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:43:17 AM »

How is this even an attack, it made me support Bernie more...
That's the point. Of course, you were successfully manipulated into producing the desired outcome, so I wouldn't feel too great about it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 01:26:23 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 01:32:50 AM by Lief 🐋 »

LOL, Jfern you should read the article. This is not an attack ad; it's a positive ad disguised as an attack ad, using the same strategy that Claire McCaskill used in 2012 to get unelectable right-wing kook Todd Akin elected as her opponent. Except this time, Bernie is the unelectable kook. McCaskill even calls it out, if you had bothered to read the article before posting it:

So yes, not only has he not been attacked by conservative groups, he in fact has a conservative Super PAC spending $600,000 to support him!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:34:32 AM »

So the irony is, now Bernie has two Super PACs funding by the millionaire and billionaire class helping him in Iowa (this one and Rove's Super PAC, which is running those ads attacking Hillary for being too tied to Wall St.)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:05 AM »

Same strategy as Rove and McCaskill. They're trying to pick their opponent.

But remember, they REALLY want to face Hillary. Reince Priebus told me so!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:47:49 AM »

The first thing that came to my mind was Akin and 2012. I am shocked that it took so long in this thread for someone to mention it.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 04:27:12 AM »

LOL, Jfern you should read the article. This is not an attack ad; it's a positive ad disguised as an attack ad, using the same strategy that Claire McCaskill used in 2012 to get unelectable right-wing kook Todd Akin elected as her opponent. Except this time, Bernie is the unelectable kook. McCaskill even calls it out, if you had bothered to read the article before posting it:

So yes, not only has he not been attacked by conservative groups, he in fact has a conservative Super PAC spending $600,000 to support him!

You called me Jfern and I am insulted. But really, I guess it did get me. In all honesty I saw the ad, looked for an article on a credible site that corroborated it's source and the amount of money spent, and skimmed through about the first half of it to make sure it was on the right thing. After originally finding the link, the NYT blocked me out, so I just had time to glance at the top.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:59 AM »

McCaskill really has coined a new political tactic in which one side trolls the other side's primary by saying their fringe candidate is either "too liberal" or "too conservative," which, of course, only causes their opponent's base to vote for said too ideological candidate since it's usually the diehards who vote in primaries, which is what the other side wants: Democrats always want to run against the Todd Akins/Richard Mourdocks/Sharron Angles of the right-wing bubble and Republicans would give anything to run against the Bernie Sanders/Jill Steins/Alan Graysons/Michael Moores of the left-wing world.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 05:12:00 AM »

McCaskill really has coined a new political tactic in which one side trolls the other side's primary by saying their fringe candidate is either "too liberal" or "too conservative," which, of course, only causes their opponent's base to vote for said too ideological candidate since it's usually the diehards who vote in primaries, which is what the other side wants: Democrats always want to run against the Todd Akins/Richard Mourdocks/Sharron Angles of the right-wing bubble and Republicans would give anything to run against the Bernie Sanders/Jill Steins/Alan Graysons/Michael Moores of the left-wing world.

LOL at the idea of the mythical centrist swing voter who always votes for the most centrist candidate. Bernie polls better in the general election than Hillary.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 06:29:41 AM »

You called me Jfern and I am insulted. But really, I guess it did get me. In all honesty I saw the ad, looked for an article on a credible site that corroborated it's source and the amount of money spent, and skimmed through about the first half of it to make sure it was on the right thing. After originally finding the link, the NYT blocked me out, so I just had time to glance at the top.

No, jfern made some dumb post saying something like "so much for the no negative ads against Sanders meme lol" and then deleted it like a coward. I wouldn't confuse you with him.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 06:39:07 AM »

The first thing that came to my mind was Akin and 2012. I am shocked that it took so long in this thread for someone to mention it.

Yeah.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2016, 02:41:31 PM by Simfan34 »

I don't get it. Did they mix up the punchline and music with another ad? Are the bunch of white men sitting around a table in a dark room and couple standing in front of their large house with their cars supposed to be the relatable characters? The smiling graduates the villains? This can't be an attack ad. I've never seen the Akin ads though.

e: Okay, I looked at some of the the Akin ads, and whereas their content would appeal to conservative voters but repulse more centrist ones, the things this ad says about Sanders are unambiguous positives in a Democratic primary. It even makes it sound like his plans can be funded! Maybe it's just a cruder attempt but it makes for a baffling result.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »

This is literally right out of the Claire mccaskill playbook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec4t_3vaBMc
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »