Is anyone here tired of the "blue state/red state" hype?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:21:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is anyone here tired of the "blue state/red state" hype?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is anyone here tired of the "blue state/red state" hype?  (Read 2317 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2005, 11:01:17 PM »

I'm SO tired of all this crap.  Because of my political leanings, I'm supposed to consider so many places to be enemy territory.  I'm supposed to boycott Gloria Estefan, Britney Spears, and Jessica Simpson.  I'm supposed to hate everything about Mississippi, even though Gulfport is a nice place to visit and Aunt Jenny's deep fried catfish was DELICIOUS.  I'm supposed to hate everything about other places I've been to that I liked, such as Indiana, Omaha, Florida, Oklahoma (home of the National Severe Storms Laboratory), and other places.

What is the media trying to do, start another civil war?  Well, I need to remember that Karl Rove and Osama Bin Laden want me to hate Alabama's guts.  That's more than enough reason for me not to.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:08:17 PM »

I prefer to think in terms of Reagan states and Mondale states.

For example, I do not hate the Reagan state of Massachusetts.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:15:43 PM »

For example, I do not hate the Reagan state of Massachusetts.

Change Mondale states to state.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 11:16:37 PM »

By the way, the once exception to this rule is that I do not mind Minnesota.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 11:16:56 PM »

I'm tired of pretty well all labels, as they are the single biggest impediment to reasonable discourse on the planet.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 11:17:09 PM »

wlel i think of tehm as lbj states and rasist staes lol
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 11:17:38 PM »

I'm SO tired of all this crap.  Because of my political leanings, I'm supposed to consider so many places to be enemy territory. 

I agree with you. I am also sick of the northeast-elitist crap I always hear on the internet and cable TV. I've lived in the northeast all my life, and I don't know any elitist. The people in my state (New Hampshire) are all pretty much middle class and very down to earth.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 11:42:21 PM »

oh, I hate it so much.  My state is refered to a blue state, pfft over two third of the land area is red, by all the farmers and small town people.  Wouldn't it just be a better idea to call them Bush states and non-Bush states?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 11:53:09 PM »

oh, I hate it so much.  My state is refered to a blue state, pfft over two third of the land area is red, by all the farmers and small town people.

I know exactly what you mean. Oregon is referred to a "blue state", and yet this is how it voted last year (of course, the colors are reversed):

I post this not to somehow delegitimize Kerry's victory here- I did support him, after all- but merely to point out that the current practice of describing "red states and blue states" is overly simplistic at best, and outright misleading at worst.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 11:53:39 PM »

I dislike all American states, HamRadioRocks.  
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 11:55:31 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2005, 11:57:18 PM by Dean »

oh, I hate it so much.  My state is refered to a blue state, pfft over two third of the land area is red, by all the farmers and small town people.  Wouldn't it just be a better idea to call them Bush states and non-Bush states?
No. That gives the impression that ALL New Yorkers are liberal hippies while ALL South Dakotans are rednecks. I HATE labels like those. In fact the entire America is purple with a *slight* lean to one side:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/2004/nov/nov07.html

And here is the straight county map:
http://www.electoral-vote.com/2004/nov/nov06.html
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 12:12:32 AM »

If the media actually cared about who won the majority of the counties, the only "blue states" would be Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Hawaii, and the District of Columbia.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 01:12:42 AM »

You shouldn't hate Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears because they're Republicans.

You should hate them because they suck.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 01:46:11 AM »

You shouldn't hate Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears because they're Republicans.

Hahaha, now those are some true words if I ever saw some.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 01:47:44 AM »

Truer words have never been spoken.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 05:58:23 AM »

I'm also tired of the notion that Iowa is somehow a better state than New York because Iowa is filled with down to earth, hard-working people, while New York is full of elitist snobs who aren't patriotic.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 06:32:30 AM »

I'm also tired of the notion that Iowa is somehow a better state than New York because Iowa is filled with down to earth, hard-working people, while New York is full of elitist snobs who aren't patriotic.

It's just a stereotype based on maybe 2 million NY residents, most of whom live in posh NYC neighborhoods and suburbs...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 09:33:26 AM »

No, when talking about states that voted Demcrat and/or states that voted Republican - the blue state-red state dichotony is appropriate enough

Dave
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 12:42:21 PM »

I'm SO tired of all this crap.  Because of my political leanings, I'm supposed to consider so many places to be enemy territory.  I'm supposed to boycott Gloria Estefan, Britney Spears, and Jessica Simpson.  I'm supposed to hate everything about Mississippi, even though Gulfport is a nice place to visit and Aunt Jenny's deep fried catfish was DELICIOUS.  I'm supposed to hate everything about other places I've been to that I liked, such as Indiana, Omaha, Florida, Oklahoma (home of the National Severe Storms Laboratory), and other places.

What is the media trying to do, start another civil war?  Well, I need to remember that Karl Rove and Osama Bin Laden want me to hate Alabama's guts.  That's more than enough reason for me not to.

"They got a name for the winners in the world
 I want a name when I loose.
 they call Alabama the Crimson tide.
 Call me Deacon Blues."
   --Steely Dan

yeah, Al and I bitch about this regularly, you may have noticed.  Others do as well.  I'm pretty sure we've just become desensitized.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 12:48:11 PM »

I seperate America into- Voted for Hoover, Voted for Smith! Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »

I dont have a problem with most states. But the northeast is still a horrible place even before this Bush/Kerry/Bush/Gore nonsense started up. The people up in those upper reaches of hell think that they are better then everyone else, especially southerners. I love when people from New England rail on southerners about racism when a vast majority of those in states such as NH, VT and ME have probably never even met a black person.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 01:04:42 PM »

It's mostly their elites that are the problem.

The red state/blue state stuff is mostly nonsense. If there's a divide its religious/secular or urban/non-urban.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 01:12:45 PM »

I dont have a problem with most states. But the northeast is still a horrible place even before this Bush/Kerry/Bush/Gore nonsense started up. The people up in those upper reaches of hell think that they are better then everyone else, especially southerners. I love when people from New England rail on southerners about racism when a vast majority of those in states such as NH, VT and ME have probably never even met a black person.

you finally got rid of the picture of a United States President being assassinated.  good man.  I don't think anyone that's ever actually lived in New England claims there's any lack of racism there, by the way, States.  Any comments along those lines stem more from ignorance than sophistication I'd think.  It's just fashionable to pick on southerners right now.  I agree it's ignorant and bigoted, and it'll pass.  Anyone who's spent any time in the deep south learns what stereotypes are true (third-world economics, good music, friendliness, overt religiousity) and which are false (racism in excess of racism elsewhere, lack of sophistication about the world, etc.).

AuH2O is right, in the sense that the county maps are more telling than the state ones, but even they are gross oversimplification.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 01:58:25 PM »

For me, it's not the descriptor, but the implication. The media needs to realize that blue state/red state is a voting pattern, not a lifestyle.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 02:00:57 PM »

I seperate America into- Voted for Hoover, Voted for Smith! Wink

Glad to hear it's not "Voted for Hoover, voted for FDR", because then there would be an awful lot of states you would hate. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies