Why does Trump appeal to moderate Republicans and not so much conservatives?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 10:46:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why does Trump appeal to moderate Republicans and not so much conservatives?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why does Trump appeal to moderate Republicans and not so much conservatives?  (Read 4323 times)
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 01:38:37 AM »

It screams authoritarianism, this isn't complicated stuff

Just devolve it to the states or contract it out to a private corporation.  Problem solved.

Authoritarianism by state governments is still authoritarianism.

I agree, but most libertarians seem not to.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 01:39:39 AM »

I really don't understand it with all his hate speech and rhetoric, I don't see his appeal to sensible Republicans

I don't know what you are talking about. What hate speech and rhetoric? He is just telling it like it is. No PC crap. That's why I like him.

Calling Mexicans rapists, making fun of disabled people, and wanting to ban all Muslims from entering the country....yeah totally not hate right

Neither of that is true and you know it.

1) Deport all illegals who have criminal record. Example: Mexican rapist.
2) He was making fun of his persona, not his physical disability.
3) USA is under siege (according to him). Logical measure: temporarily ban Muslims from enetring the country until such mechanism is put in place which can prevent only those Muslims who are radicals from enetering the country.

No hate speach. Just common sense.

You can't it's his ploy to outright ban Muslims from ever coming, and 3-6 million Muslims are making America seized right....lol

Why not? He wants to institute a database of all Muslims. That way he can track radicals.

Lol it's funny how right before this post you say most libertarians support Trump, and then the next post is talking about Trump's plans of establishing a database of Muslim's.

I was explaining what TRUMP actually said to set the record straight. I'm not saying I agree with that.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:35 AM »

Trump uses eminent domain to seize people's properties I suggest you watch the documentary "You've Been Trumped" to know exactly what he did in Scotland with his golf courses there. Nothing is suggesting he will move to the center if he wins the nomination and he has already made me hate him to the point I'd go Democrat if he's the nominee he can't be trusted at all
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:05 AM »

Really don't get what makes Trump especially abhorrent to you but ok lol
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 01:51:38 AM »

He's racist and prejudiced first off and his plans on Muslims does negative impact my life and that was the absolute deal breaker for me.

Second his economic plans dont make any sense just say China will not be able to win against us and his tax plan looks like a 6 year old came up with it. His foreign policy is meh also
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 01:52:09 AM »

Trump uses eminent domain to seize people's properties I suggest you watch the documentary "You've Been Trumped" to know exactly what he did in Scotland with his golf courses there. Nothing is suggesting he will move to the center if he wins the nomination and he has already made me hate him to the point I'd go Democrat if he's the nominee he can't be trusted at all

Can you please elaborate on the actual reasons that have made you hate him?

Democrats are against liberty. Both Hillary and Bernie will use eminent domain. If you vote Democrat, you will regret your choice soon enough.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:54 AM »

He's racist and prejudiced first off and his plans on Muslims does negative impact my life and that was the absolute deal breaker for me.

Second his economic plans dont make any sense just say China will not be able to win against us and his tax plan looks like a 6 year old came up with it. His foreign policy is meh also

His plans on Muslims will not materialize. In fact, he will do just the opposite. So, forget about that.

I don't think his economic plan will work, but I am willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. His economic plan is sure better than Bernie's or Hillary's.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 01:56:37 AM »

His plans on Muslims will not materialize. In fact, he will do just the opposite. So, forget about that.

I don't think his economic plan will work, but I am willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. His economic plan is sure better than Bernie's or Hillary's.

And how can you be so sure he won't implement it? He seems VERY excited about it.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »

And how can you be so sure he won't implement it? He seems VERY excited about it.

That's his ploy to get the angry, jobless or poorly paid white working class crowd.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:05 AM »

It isn't just the plans. He is fomenting a wave of Islamophobia and anti-Arab hysteria among the general public that is going to haunt this country for years to come. It is following in the same disgusting pattern that has occurred before with anti-Catholic, anti-Chinese, anti-Japanese, anti-Jewish, anti-Mormon, and other anti-ethnic/religious movements. If you don't think that the things he is saying are going to make daily life worse for some of your fellow citizens, then you are a fool. Put him in the White House, and you are going to be amplifying it to even more dangerous levels than it already is.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:55 AM »

Trump appeals to working class right wingers, i.e., the people on the political compass that'd be high in authoritarianism but more moderate on economic issues (more protectionism, protect medicare/social security).

Establishment repubs appeal to richer right-wingers that are maybe a little more moderate on some of the authoritarianism dimensions than Trump and further to the right economically than Trump.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 02:05:56 AM »

It isn't just the plans. He is fomenting a wave of Islamophobia and anti-Arab hysteria among the general public that is going to haunt this country for years to come. It is following in the same disgusting pattern that has occurred before with anti-Catholic, anti-Chinese, anti-Japanese, anti-Jewish, anti-Mormon, and other anti-ethnic/religious movements. If you don't think that the things he is saying are going to make daily life worse for some of your fellow citizens, then you are a fool. Put him in the White House, and you are going to be amplifying it to even more dangerous levels than it already is.

This is a discussion between Republicans. You Democrats clearly don't get it. It will take too long for me to explain with doubtful result, so I better not even start.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 02:10:44 AM »

There have been many documented cases of Anti-Muslim attacks from TRUMP supporters and Islamophobia has skyrocketed in recent weeks/months to the point it's very hard to BE a Muslim in this country. This is EXACTLY the reason why Muslims almost fully en masse left the GOP for the Democrats.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 02:12:00 AM »

This is a discussion between Republicans. You Democrats clearly don't get it. It will take too long for me to explain with doubtful result, so I better not even start.

Excuse me, but this is my country too. Just because I'm a Democrat doesn't mean I don't have an interest in seeing your party put forward competent leaders.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 02:30:17 AM »

Excuse me, but this is my country too. Just because I'm a Democrat doesn't mean I don't have an interest in seeing your party put forward competent leaders.

I am sorry about my previous post.

Just to reply to this one. TRUMP is far more competent than Hillary. he runs a business empire worth 10 billion, while Hillary is responsible for the mess in the Middle East and more than 100000 people killed there.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 02:35:36 AM »

There have been many documented cases of Anti-Muslim attacks from TRUMP supporters and Islamophobia has skyrocketed in recent weeks/months to the point it's very hard to BE a Muslim in this country. This is EXACTLY the reason why Muslims almost fully en masse left the GOP for the Democrats.

You are mixing up cause and effect here.

The emergence of the Islamic State in the Middle East is the cause (plus terror attacks).
Anti-Muslim rhetoric and TRUMP's supporters attacking Muslims is the effect.

The premise for this is existence of bigoted individuals who blame all Muslims for the Islamic State and terrorism. And we know that such bigoted individuals do exist, regardless of the environment.

In a free society, it is the job of the Law Enforcement to deal with these extremists.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 02:36:21 AM »

I think this thread is missing the biggest reason:

Moderate voters are rarely centrists, especially self-described moderate Republicans.  They're generally voters with a number of weird, heterodox views, some of which may be rather extreme and strong.  They could be socially hyper-conservative but hate large businesses -- things like that.  That general profile seems totally compatible with Trump, who is all about speaking his mind against political orthodoxy, and doesn't really concern himself with ideology much.

The Republican voters who like ideological predictability and orthodoxy are more likely to self-identify as conservative, and those are the voters with whom Cruz is doing well.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 02:51:32 AM »

Moderate voters are rarely centrists, especially self-described moderate Republicans.  They're generally voters with a number of weird, heterodox views, some of which may be rather extreme and strong.  They could be socially hyper-conservative but hate large businesses -- things like that.  That general profile seems totally compatible with Trump, who is all about speaking his mind against political orthodoxy, and doesn't really concern himself with ideology much.

The Republican voters who like ideological predictability and orthodoxy are more likely to self-identify as conservative, and those are the voters with whom Cruz is doing well.

As I said on the previous page:

Because a lot of moderates aren't actually moderates, so much as politically schizophrenic (for lack of a better word) extremists.

This article from Vox goes over it quite well: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/8/5878293/lets-stop-using-the-word-moderate
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 03:46:34 AM »

As I said on the previous page:

Because a lot of moderates aren't actually moderates, so much as politically schizophrenic (for lack of a better word) extremists.

This article from Vox goes over it quite well: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/8/5878293/lets-stop-using-the-word-moderate

Sorry!  Missed that.  Great article.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 04:17:24 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2016, 04:20:52 AM by ProudModerate2 »

This is twice now, that I hear a Trump Yes-man, try to explain Trump's hatred and bigotry towards another individual, as just "making fun of his persona."
Honestly, what kind of hogwash excuse is "persona."
Is this one of the talking-points that Trump's inner-circle of people, tell their zombie followers to say ?
And to try to get the rest of us to swallow ? (PS: It's not working.)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 04:20:05 AM »

.... while Hillary is responsible for the mess in the Middle East and more than 100000 people killed there.

LOL.
Ljube, go to bed .... you must be drunk.
Do you really think we are going to take you seriously, with comments like this.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:08 AM »

Just to reply to this one. TRUMP is far more competent than Hillary. he runs a business empire worth 10 billion, while Hillary is responsible for the mess in the Middle East and more than 100000 people killed there.

Hillary is certainly not responsible for the mess in the Middle East. The main responsibility bears Dubya with his war in Iraq, which turned out be a total failure (ok, I give Trump some credit that he spoke out against it in 2004). It was one of the worst decisions in American foreign policy ever. It lead to nothing but death and bankrupted the US treasury. The way W handled this whole thing was just a disaster. In all fairness, the Obama administration did mistakes too; especially that Prime Minister Maliqui, whose divisive policies became a recruiter for terrorists. was backed too long. But the main person to blame for this mess is W, not Hillary. Bush 41 was a lot smarter, when he declined to go to Bagdad, because he knew that it would destabilize the country.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 07:27:21 AM »

Because he is not a conservative, but a radical fascist (or, at least, is running as one). Fascism does not fit in the traditional American political dimensions, but when Trump is projected on them, he lands between the parties, so he appeals to some of those who are, in the existing definitions, notvery partisan: "moderate" in their partisanship. But they are not moderate in their views:  they are the radicals, badly represented by both partisan mainstreams.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »

Hillary is certainly not responsible for the mess in the Middle East. The main responsibility bears Dubya with his war in Iraq, which turned out be a total failure (ok, I give Trump some credit that he spoke out against it in 2004). It was one of the worst decisions in American foreign policy ever. It lead to nothing but death and bankrupted the US treasury. The way W handled this whole thing was just a disaster. In all fairness, the Obama administration did mistakes too; especially that Prime Minister Maliqui, whose divisive policies became a recruiter for terrorists. was backed too long. But the main person to blame for this mess is W, not Hillary. Bush 41 was a lot smarter, when he declined to go to Bagdad, because he knew that it would destabilize the country.

But to be general, many problems in MENA come down to The Powers That Be, and Hillary is an encapsulation of those powers in certain voter's minds.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »

This is twice now, that I hear a Trump Yes-man, try to explain Trump's hatred and bigotry towards another individual, as just "making fun of his persona."
Honestly, what kind of hogwash excuse is "persona."
Is this one of the talking-points that Trump's inner-circle of people, tell their zombie followers to say ?
And to try to get the rest of us to swallow ? (PS: It's not working.)

According to the polls, it is working.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies