Why does Trump appeal to moderate Republicans and not so much conservatives?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:28:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why does Trump appeal to moderate Republicans and not so much conservatives?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why does Trump appeal to moderate Republicans and not so much conservatives?  (Read 4341 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:51:06 AM »

I really don't understand it with all his hate speech and rhetoric, I don't see his appeal to sensible Republicans
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »

That's because he is a moderate.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »

He used to be a Democrat.  Also moderates may be more concerned about winning than ideology.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:57:25 AM »

I really don't understand it with all his hate speech and rhetoric, I don't see his appeal to sensible Republicans

I don't know what you are talking about. What hate speech and rhetoric? He is just telling it like it is. No PC crap. That's why I like him.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:57:59 AM »

Not all those who identify as moderate Republicans are country club old money or Wall Street barons.  For a not particularly religious or conservative white working class voter, Donald Trump's anti-establishment rhetoric and style has a lot of appeal.   
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:58:12 AM »

Moderate=/=sensible
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:58:21 AM »

Because "moderate" is basically a code-word for "I have no real ideological compass, my beliefs are all over the place and I don't know much about politics", in the same vein as "independents".

Conservatives are more likely to smell BS when it comes to his pandering talking points, and recognize he's not actually one of them.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:59:17 AM »

Because they aren't really moderates.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 01:01:28 AM »

I don't know what you are talking about. What hate speech and rhetoric? He is just telling it like it is. No PC crap. That's why I like him.

Calling Mexicans rapists, making fun of disabled people, and wanting to ban all Muslims from entering the country....yeah totally not hate right
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:06:01 AM »

Calling Mexicans rapists, making fun of disabled people, and wanting to ban all Muslims from entering the country....yeah totally not hate right

Neither of that is true and you know it.

1) Deport all illegals who have criminal record. Example: Mexican rapist.
2) He was making fun of his persona, not his physical disability.
3) USA is under siege (according to him). Logical measure: temporarily ban Muslims from enetring the country until such mechanism is put in place which can prevent only those Muslims who are radicals from enetering the country.

No hate speach. Just common sense.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:01 AM »

Yes, these are what Trump said not media simplifications of his policy positions.

Also businessmen are not the moderates in the party. Upper middle class people are very likely to identify as conservative.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:14 AM »

3) USA is under siege (according to him). Logical measure: temporarily ban Muslims from enetring the country until such mechanism is put in place which can prevent only those Muslims who are radicals from enetering the country.

You can't it's his ploy to outright ban Muslims from ever coming, and 3-6 million Muslims are making America seized right....lol
Attorney General & LGC Deputy Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:15:26 AM »

TRUMP is a social liberal. Yes, yes, he's kinda sorta pandered right so that Cruz doesn't have fresh material to attack him with on such issues, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a social liberal at heart.

TRUMP is still pro-single payer. He's just never brought it up during the campaign. He's been very clear that he supports raising taxes on certain rich people.  He also has a long history of donating to democrats - and not DINOs, real democrats like Harry Reid(!).

He stays conservative enough to still be a republican via his anti-immigrant, anti-woman, anti-muslim, anti-Obama rhetoric.

So, yeah, it makes sense why he's never getting the hardcore parts of Cruz and Carson's support, unless they drop out.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:19:29 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2016, 01:22:24 AM by Ljube »

TRUMP is a social liberal. Yes, yes, he's kinda sorta pandered right so that Cruz doesn't have fresh material to attack him with on such issues, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a social liberal at heart.

And that's another reason I like him. I am a social liberal too and it is refreshing to finally have a social liberal as the Republican nominee. That's why most Libertarians support TRUMP.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »

You can't it's his ploy to outright ban Muslims from ever coming, and 3-6 million Muslims are making America seized right....lol

Why not? He wants to institute a database of all Muslims. That way he can track radicals.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 01:27:48 AM »

Because a lot of moderates aren't actually moderates, so much as politically schizophrenic (for lack of a better word) extremists.

This article from Vox goes over it quite well: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/8/5878293/lets-stop-using-the-word-moderate
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 01:28:20 AM »

Why not? He wants to institute a database of all Muslims. That way he can track radicals.

That's not constitutional... And you think we will all agree to be in a database? How are you going to determine who is Muslim or not? And what if we refuse to be in it? Give me a break Ljube
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »

Lol it's funny how right before this post you say most libertarians support Trump, and then the next post is talking about Trump's plans of establishing a database of Muslim's.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:38 AM »

What is unlibertarian about creating a database of Muslims?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 01:32:13 AM »

Wow, paranoid much? Do you even know who Trump is before this campaign started? Hed clearly go in the opposite direction.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »

It screams authoritarianism, this isn't complicated stuff
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 01:33:17 AM »

The fact that this is even being asked is mind-boggling.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 01:33:38 AM »

Just devolve it to the states or contract it out to a private corporation.  Problem solved.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 01:36:08 AM »

Just devolve it to the states or contract it out to a private corporation.  Problem solved.

Authoritarianism by state governments is still authoritarianism.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 01:37:08 AM »

That's not constitutional... And you think we will all agree to be in a database? How are you going to determine who is Muslim or not? And what if we refuse to be in it? Give me a break Ljube

Constitutionality of that can be debated. Likewise feasibility.

I'm not saying I agree with that. In fact I don't expect that TRUMP will actually ban Muslims or set up such a database.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies